Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Urgent: Can't start after installing JDK 1.5 (Tiger)
Urgent: Can't start after installing JDK 1.5 (Tiger)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haruki_zaemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Urgent: Can't start after installing JDK 1.5 (Tiger)

Host Name: aiki
Date/Time: 2005-04-30 07:29:24.843 +1000
OS Version: 10.4 (Build 8A428)
Report Version: 3

Command: soffice.bin
Path: /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin
Parent: WindowServer [100]

Version: 1.1 Release Candidate (1.1 Release Candidate Build 645)

PID: 4650
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

image not found
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Neo/J uses Java 1.3.1 so I would guess that Apple's JDK 1.5 installer corrupts (or deletes?) Java 1.3.1. If Java 1.3.1 is unusable, then this is a serious JDK 1.5 installation bug and should be reported to Apple.

To confirm if Java 1.3.1 is messed up, try running a Java program from a terminal using the following command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Commands/java

If that command does not exist or your Java program crashes, then there is something seriously wrong with your Java 1.3.1 installation.

Patrick
haruki_zaemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the quick response. I ran the command as suggested:

Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Commands/java

And it appears to work just fine:

Code:

java version "1.3.1_15"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_15-root_1.3.1_050320-16:33)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1_09-80, mixed mode)

After a little investigation I discovered that the "NeoOffice/J.app" package contains a file ("MacOS/setup") that writes the configuration file ("javarc") containing the location of the Java VM. Since my current version of Java is now pointing to the 1.5 distribution, I needed to change the value that was written from:

Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/JavaVM

to

Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/JavaVM

to ensure it points to the old version.

Thanks,

Simon
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject:

haruki_zaemon wrote:
After a little investigation I discovered that the "NeoOffice/J.app" package contains a file ("MacOS/setup") that writes the configuration file ("javarc") containing the location of the Java VM. Since my current version of Java is now pointing to the 1.5 distribution, I needed to change the value that was written from:

Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/JavaVM

to

Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/JavaVM

to ensure it points to the old version.

Thanks for the workaround. This still indicates that there is a bug in Apple's updated /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/JavaVM file Apple's documentation says that loading that file and then setting the required JNI_VERSION to JNI_VERSION_1_2 is how you load Java 1.3.1.

Once again, Apple has forgotten to test that Java 1.3.1 still works after their update. Sad

Patrick
haruki_zaemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Ahh, well in their defense, I did manually change the symlink for Current to point JDK 1.5 as I couldn't get JDK 1.5 to be the default from the command-line any other way. So...my bad really.

I'm a relative newbie to Mac OS and the non-standard Java distribution in making my life hell at the moment.

If anyone can tell me how to change the default then I can change it all back and NeoOffice/J will run just fine.

FWIW, I've gone into the new Java 1.5 Utilities and changed the defaults there but that doesn't seem to have any effect for which version is run from the command-line. Only which version applications get if they ask for the "default".

Cheers,

Simon
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject:

haruki_zaemon wrote:
If anyone can tell me how to change the default then I can change it all back and NeoOffice/J will run just fine.

You should read the Java 1.5 release notes topic on this at:

http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/Java/Java50RN/index.html

Patrick
haruki_zaemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again.

I did indeed read all that and as far as I can tell, it only changes the defaults for applications asking for a JVM. It doesn't *appear* to affect the version that is run when you type "java -version" from the command-line.

Cheers,

Simon
haruki_zaemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Ok, with a bit more fiddling around I finally managed to get it to work without needing to modify NeoOffice/J.

I found that if I leave the symlink Current->A and change only the symlink CurrentJDK->1.5, then the command-line picks up 1.5 and NeoOffice/J finds 1.3.1.

Thanks,

Simon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject:

h_z,

Glad to see to you got it to work with your work around. I was going to suggest that you would have to go into the "java-version"? file in your /usr/bin/ folder (this is the first, or at least gauranteed one of the places, the Terminal.app looks for when you type a command into it) and change some wording in that file with TextEdit in plain text mode but now there is no need to do that. Nice work. You get the best of both worlds for now.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1