· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Long Filenames of Download Files
Long Filenames of Download Files

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aztecbarney

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Long Filenames of Download Files

I installed NeoOffice/J. In doing so I wondered if others might have run into the same problem that I did, namely that the filenames from the mirror sites gave the downloaded files an excel icon, not a disk image icon. The files would not automatically open on double-click. When I went in and renamed the file with a shorter name and reappended the .dmg suffix and closed everything out the file would then operate normally when I reopened it.

If I'm the only one suffering this then fine, I fixed it for myself and life is good. But if this is a common operation that might also affect others wouldn't it be best to have the sites name the files with shorter names so that things would work automatically?

Or perhaps someone could just provide me with information that would enlighten me as to what's causing my unique problem?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Long Filenames of Download Files

aztecbarney wrote:
I installed NeoOffice/J. In doing so I wondered if others might have run into the same problem that I did, namely that the filenames from the mirror sites gave the downloaded files an excel icon, not a disk image icon. The files would not automatically open on double-click. When I went in and renamed the file with a shorter name and reappended the .dmg suffix and closed everything out the file would then operate normally when I reopened it.

Perhaps your downloads are not entirely completed or processed properly. My browser (Mozilla Seamonkey 1.7.Cool writes a download as filename.dmg.part and renames it to filename.dmg only after the download has completed. .part extensions are given an Excel icon on my system (no idea why), so I am thinking it might be stuck in that. I also heard Safari is giving some people trouble. More info on your system might be needed for proper advice.

Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject:

My guess is you're using MacIE, as every other Mac browser out there handles this correctly (even iCab, which still has the filename length restriction in some cases, at least truncates the name part of the filename and tacks on the correct extension). MacIE just truncates the file at 31 characters.

MacIE hasn't been developed for 2 years now, so you'll have a lot better general web experience if you switch to a modern browser. Most of us here use either Camino, the fast, well-integrated Mac browser from Mozilla.org or Firefox, Mozilla.org's cross-platform browser, or Apple's Safari (on your Mac already). Some also use the [http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/]Mozilla Suite (SeaMonkey)[/url] for the all-in-one browser-mail-news experience.

All of these are free, so try one out instead of MacIE; you'll be glad you did Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1