Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NOJ RC 1 being distributed on MacWorld UK CD.
NOJ RC 1 being distributed on MacWorld UK CD.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: NOJ RC 1 being distributed on MacWorld UK CD.

Just a head's up:

MacWorld UK July 2005 cover CD not only supplies NOJ RC1 but gives it lead billing too Very Happy

For posterity's sake:

From the blurb, it appears that they are also regularly distributing the patches too. Perhaps someone ought to contact the magazine to see how regularly they are doing this as this may (help) solve any CD distribution issues here in the UK.

Edit: Oops, I've just noticed from the full sized image of the CD on their website that they provide it with the tagline "Micorsoft Office Killer" which is a tad hyperbolic! I hope people don't start coming here complaining that "you said NOJ was an MS Office killer yet it isn't anywhere near as good, blah, blah!" when it wasn't us that did so!! Surprised

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:

I see the unfortunate 'killer' reference is not confined to the CD itself. Scroll down the home page http://www.macworld.co.uk/ and you can read it there too in the current issue's description. So it's going to be indexed by all those search engines out there....

Like you, I hope that this will not cause a flood of dissatisfaction and unfulfilled expectations to be vented in these forums.

However, we may just have to prepare for such an eventuality. Maybe Patrick could add a link to the wiki's 'current patch' info page, where it becomes clearer the benefits of adding the patch?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject:

It sure is nice seeing foxcorner's lovely ship-in-globe stamped on the top of a CD, and in such a high-profile publication, no less Smile Warms the heart. So the Neo/J Advocacy guy in me is really happy about that part.

The Microsoft Office killer reference is really unfortunate, though. The support guy is less pleased.... I guess it's time to brace for an onslaught of new user questions...

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject:

Pfft...I just want a free copy of the magazine to add to my collection of things were Neo/OOo/etc. is mentioned so one day I can find them in my attic and senile old me can remember that I did something relevant Very Happy

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Free magazine coverage

OPENSTEP wrote:
Pfft...I just want a free copy of the magazine to add to my collection of things were Neo/OOo/etc. is mentioned so one day I can find them in my attic and senile old me can remember that I did something relevant Very Happy

ed

You/Patrick or one of our German readers should contact the appropriate people at the popular German computer magazine "c't".

They are always showcasing free software, particularly if it is cross-platform.

I did a search of their web site for references to NeoOffice - there were none. They have OpenOffice.org v1.1.1 for download, but they don't mention Mac OS X as being one of the platforms (this was when OOo for Mac OS X was between 1.0.3 and 1.1.2 - I think we skipped 1.1.1).

In the current (or about to be released) issue of the magazine they have an article on OpenOffice.org macro programming.

The magazine has approached me on a number of occasions (unsolicited) to ask about including some of my free software on their CDs (also downloadable from their web site), and printing a mini-review of the software in the magazine.

And then they send me a complimentary copy of the magazine containing my software.

While I don't read/write/speak German, I'm quite impressed by the magazine and their operation.

I person I have been dealing with is :

Erich Kramer - km AT ct.heise.de

The magazine can found online at :

http://www.heise.de/ct/

Some of the content is available in English, but most is not.

Regards, Terry
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject:

Terry,

the c't magazine is aware of the existence of NeoOffice/J.

I've sent an email several months ago to them and I even got a reply. They've mentioned NeoOffice/J in the magazine, too. So, if they want to put NeoOffice/J on their CDs, they'll do.

Thomas
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject:

Looks like Neo/J was demoed at the Washington Apple Pi meeting in Feb and made their CD: http://www.wap.org/events/feb2005/default.html

It's got nothing (boy is that a phrase best spoken and not written!) on MacWorld UK, but cool nonetheless.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1