Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Inserting Notes and Formating Text in Tables
Inserting Notes and Formating Text in Tables

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbjonz
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Inserting Notes and Formating Text in Tables

Hi,

I am enthralled with Neooffice/J and moved to it seemlessly from MS Office. I have a couple of questions, though, about what I hope are two fairly trival matters.

1. I need to double-space within a table. Doing so works within cells but not across them--that is, the bottom of one cell is adjacent to the following cell, but the text within the cells is double-spaced. Anyone know how to make it so double-spacing is uniform within a table?
2. If I highlight a word and then insert a note, the note indicator (the yellow block) deletes the highlighted word. Sometimes it's useful to have the note indicator cover the text to which the note applies.

Again, thanks to all who developed and worked on this!

Joe
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Inserting Notes and Formating Text in Tables

bbjonz wrote:
1. I need to double-space within a table. Doing so works within cells but not across them--that is, the bottom of one cell is adjacent to the following cell, but the text within the cells is double-spaced. Anyone know how to make it so double-spacing is uniform within a table?

Not sure I follow your drift but here goes anyway...

Have you tried using the Syles in the Stylist? Open the Stylist window and change the selection shown at the bottom from 'Automatic' to 'All'. Scroll down the list of Paragraph styles until you find the style called Table Contents. ctrl-click on the style name to get the contextual menu to drop down and select 'Modify...'. In the subsequent window, use the features in the Indent & Spacing tab to adjust the line spacing to your requirements, along with choice of font and font styles in the relevant tabs. Close to save changes to Table Contents style. Saving a version of this document to use as Stationery or Save as a template means you'll always have the customised Table Contents style you want available in a document created from these models. (Read elsewhere in the wiki on how to make this the default template.)

Thereafter when you insert a table in a document containing this revised style, the cells will initially be set-up with your customised Table Contents style. (You may want to modify Table Heading style which is a derivative from Table Contents style as you may not want double-line spacing in the headings.) You can also create a range of custom styles for specific use in specific types of tables and just apply those styles to the cells required.

Styles seem to be very powerful and it is worth investing a bit of time on exploring how they work. This is a good example because, once set-up, you may find you never have to fiddle around formatting tables again. I've found styles to be an invaluable asset in helping my colleagues take control of the layouts in their documents.

On item 2, if someone with OOo.org installed can check, this may be standard OOo.org behaviour, in which case there will not be anything that Patrick can do to change it, I suspect. Reading the help menu content certainly implies it cannot be applied to a word as it describes the note marker as a small yellow highlighted box:

"Inserting Notes

Inserts a note at the current cursor position. To view or edit the contents of a note, select the note and choose this command.
To access this command...
Choose Insert - Note

A small yellow rectangle marks the position of a note in a document. To open the note for editing, double-click the rectangle."

Trust this helps.

bbjonz
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: It Did!

Thanks, Ray. The table now looks as it should.

Joe
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject:

I once was on a discussion with OOo guys about inserting notes with exactly the same idea - that it is very useful to highlight a whole sentence and add the note to the selection (which in Neo and other OOo deletes the selection and replaces it with the yeloow rectangle). There was some diversity of opinions but the one coming from OOo side was that there are so few people (I disagree strongly) who might use this feature, that they are not going to bother. I also think that OOo 2.0 does the same thing. A rather strange point. But I suggest that you could improve OpenOffice in general by trying to add your voice to that discussion as well.
bbjonz
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Will Do

bezvardis wrote:
I once was on a discussion with OOo guys about inserting notes with exactly the same idea - that it is very useful to highlight a whole sentence and add the note to the selection (which in Neo and other OOo deletes the selection and replaces it with the yeloow rectangle). There was some diversity of opinions but the one coming from OOo side was that there are so few people (I disagree strongly) who might use this feature, that they are not going to bother. I also think that OOo 2.0 does the same thing. A rather strange point. But I suggest that you could improve OpenOffice in general by trying to add your voice to that discussion as well.

I will. I find it helpful on occasion to have the note directly reference some text in the document. I can't recall--and I try not to make the comparison because it's unfair--but I think that's how it's done in Word.

Joe
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1