Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - :?: Background Loading picky entitlement question :-P
:?: Background Loading picky entitlement question :-P

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
copasetic
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: :?: Background Loading picky entitlement question :-P

Hey all. I read about NO/J adding a splash screen to let people know it was still loading, so I get to go against the grain:

I want to have NO/J to load on startup, in the background when my computer starts. This was recommended to speed up load times when I am actually loading a document. I click to have it "hide:" but it changes nothing: the splash screen still shows, and it presents me with a blank NO/J project window that I can't make go away ([X] button doesn't work), so my only option is to minimize it. So I ask:

1) NO/J has never *NOT* loaded. It's never crashed, blipped, hiccupped, coughed, or crashed on loading, ever. I trust it to load, implicitly, every time, however interminably long it may take on my wimpy 500 G3 with 1GB RAM <G>. Sooner or later, if I am patient, I come back and it's there, EVERY time Very Happy If it doesn't, I will know by looking at the dock, or by finding out when OSX sends me a message, or when I open a document, and see it load all over again. Is there a way to turn the splash screen OFF so it just loads without bugging me whilst I try to check my email:?:

2) Is there a way to truly make it load in the background, and not open a blank document window when I don't have a document to open:?: If this cannot happen, is there a way to make it automagically minimize so it won't pop up in the way of whatever I happen to be doing at the time? If I want to work with a document, of course a window is fine (duh), but not if I don't Wink

Thank you most kindly in advance.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: :?: Background Loading picky entitlement question :-P

copasetic wrote:
I read about NO/J adding a splash screen to let people know it was still loading

First of all, "NeoOffice/J" did not add a splashscreen. The splashscreen is mandated by the OpenOffice.org codebase. We did get a prettier splashscreen Smile

Second, recognize that OpenOffice.org is first and foremost a Solaris and Windows application. It is developed by full-time Sun engineers to run on Solaris, Windows, and Linux. These are the only platforms (and user interface conventions and application behaviors) that the engineers care about. Until Sun decides to take the Mac platform seriously, we are going to be stuck with lots of behaviors that aren't Mac-like and which will be difficult, if not impossible, to work around or "fix"--especially with the current manpower.

copasetic wrote:
I want to have NO/J to load on startup, in the background when my computer starts. This was recommended to speed up load times when I am actually loading a document. I click to have it "hide:" but it changes nothing: the splash screen still shows, and it presents me with a blank NO/J project window that I can't make go away

The way Mac OS X "hides" apps on login is to load the app and then hide it. I have iCal set to launch on login, with the hide box checked, and I see iCal launch, load my calendars, and then hide when it's all done. This is the way Mac OS X launches apps (it doesn't do so "invisibly; you still see the loading process). So far Neo/J is no different.

copasetic wrote:
presents me with a blank NO/J project window that I can't make go away ([X] button doesn't work)

Update to the latest patch. This was fixed two patches ago.

Now, the hiding issue. Since Neo/J does hide at other times when commanded, it seems like the problem is that Mac OS X is sending the "hide" command too early, before Neo/J is ready to respond to those commands. I offered an AppleScript to work around this problem when you last brought this up.

(It's counterproductive--and annoying to the developers--to discuss the same topic in several different fora here, and to discuss design/development issues in the Support forum. Support is for answering questions about why something that should work doesn't work in stable release versions, i.e. 0.7.x, 0.8.x, and the forthcoming 1.1.)

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: :?: Background Loading picky entitlement question :-P

sardisson wrote:

First of all, "NeoOffice/J" did not add a splashscreen. The splashscreen is mandated by the OpenOffice.org codebase. We did get a prettier splashscreen Smile

Second, recognize that OpenOffice.org is first and foremost a Solaris and Windows application. [. . .] to work around or "fix"--especially with the current manpower.

The way Mac OS X "hides" apps on login is to load the app and then hide it. [. . .] So far Neo/J is no different.

Update to the latest patch. This was fixed two patches ago.

Now, the hiding issue. Since Neo/J does hide at other times when commanded, it seems like the problem is that Mac OS X is sending the "hide" command too early, before Neo/J is ready to respond to those commands. I offered an AppleScript to work around this problem when you last brought this up.

(It's counterproductive--and annoying to the developers--to discuss the same topic in several different fora here, and to discuss design/development issues in the Support forum. Support is for answering questions about why something that should work doesn't work in stable release versions, i.e. 0.7.x, 0.8.x, and the forthcoming 1.1.)

Smokey

First: Understood

Second: Understood

Third: Understood

Update: I am only using NeoOfficeJ-1.1_Release_Candidate-Patch-7. I will go look for a later version.

Script: I decided to start loading it manually again, since I was apparently too dense to figure out how to write scripts.

(Warning: interlaced sarcasm ahead)

(It's arrogant --and annoying to us igorant users--to think that we all know everything there is to know about forums, threads and the like, even if we don't necessarily "discuss the same topic in several different fora here," but in fact just post in a different *thread,* even if the problem isn't *exactly the same,* and to assume that we all know the difference between what is a design/development issue or what is a bug. I didn't know that "Support is for answering questions about why something that should work doesn't work in stable release versions, i.e. 0.7.x, 0.8.x, and the forthcoming 1.1." I don't know what version is being released when, I don't know a lot of what to ask where or in what forum or thread. I am not a programmer, or a developer (which should now be more than obvious). This is why I came here in the first place, to ask questions, and I did the best I could with the information I had. I honestly didn't think anything was broken, EXCEPT for my understanding of the way things work. If I was asking questions that were non sequitor, I guess I have now been duly advised. I suppose the statement that "There are not stupid questions, only stupid people" can apply to me, if so, I will respectfully apologize for any counterproductivity I may have caused (no sarcasm intended by the previous sentence). I can see how 100 people just making "just one post" in the wrong forum could cost a lot of people a lot of time (seriously). That said, reading the wrong thread in the wrong place isn't a compulsory thing, it's still voluntary, right (ergo: a choice)? In such case, a message stating that "Your post has been moved" sending to the proper place would have been welcome, sigh.)

Dang, now I can't sleep knowing that I may have delayed the next release because of this post... (<---joke)

Regardless, thank you for your help.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject:

I had some time spare time today so I did some debugging to see why Neo/J insists on unhiding itself during the startup process.

I tested out the theory that the hide event is getting sent to Neo/J too early. This, to my surprise, was not the problem. Neo/J is actually receiving the hide event correctly.

After a bunch more tweaking of the code and watching the code in a debugger, I found out what is happening. Apparently, Java 1.3.1 is forcefully showing the application when the first window is created.

Unfortunately, the code that Java 1.3.1 uses to do this is not accessible to me so we are stuck with this behavior. Sad

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1