· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - save as a word document in NeoOffice
save as a word document in NeoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathalie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: save as a word document in NeoOffice

I encounter the following issue :
I open a .doc document (created by Microsoft Word 9Cool in NeoOffice (1.1 as well as 1.2) then save it in NeoOffice (with a new name) after having edited it.

In the Finder the new file name is correct but when re-opening the document, its name changes in the document window (at the top of it) back to what it was (in fact NeoOffice does not seem to erase the TITLE field that was in the file properties of the original Word file).
The only workaround I found was to delete the field content within Word then reopen it in NeoOffice.
But this is not a viable solution, because I installed NeoOffice for a customer who wants to drop Microsoft Word (10 computers and hundreds of old Word files which are constantly re-used, modifyed and "save as"). Is there a way to get automatically rid of this behaviour ?

Thanks for your help
-- nathalie
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject:

Nathalie, I believe that is because somebody has inserted the file name as a Title in the document properties. When you open the document, go to File > Properties and check that the Title field is empty or rename. I have seen an article about the stripping of metadata somewhere. Apparently there is some company solution at server level available.

Last edited by Glenner on Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject:

BTW, a long time ago I filed a bug at OOo to get them to stop doing this behavior (on Mac OS X, the window title should be the document name, as displayed in the Finder--i.e., extension or no extension, depending on the user's pref--and nothing else, according to the AHIG), and I don't think any of the OOo developers have even looked at it yet Sad

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject:

Glenner wrote:
Nathalie, I believe that is because somebody has inserted the file name as a Title in the document properties. When you open the document, go to File > Properties and check that the Title field is empty or rename.

Many many thanks, this tip is working as expected Smile

strange thing however is that OpenOffice itself does not have this behaviour.

-- nathalie
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
BTW, a long time ago I filed a bug at OOo to get them to stop doing this behavior (on Mac OS X, the window title should be the document name, as displayed in the Finder--i.e., extension or no extension, depending on the user's pref--and nothing else, according to the AHIG), and I don't think any of the OOo developers have even looked at it yet Sad

Smokey

Strange that I should find myself at odds with Smokey here but there's always a firat time for everything.

If the intention of OOo is to faithfully translate M$ Word files (and I think that is the case) then the current behaviour of OOo/Neo is correct. When we started our migration to NeoOffice, I found it perfectly normal that properties which I had deliberately introduced in our Word stationery templates were faithfully retained when we upgraded to NeoOffice. Now, while I may have found it irritating that I had to 'undo' what I had done before under M$ Office 98, I really couldn't fault OOo (and therfore inherited behaviour in NeoOffice) on the strict and accurate retention of those meta data (even if I personally no longer wanted or had need of them).

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject:

rays wrote:
I really couldn't fault OOo (and therfore inherited behaviour in NeoOffice) on the strict and accurate retention of those meta data (even if I personally no longer wanted or had need of them).

Retention of the metadata themselves is fine (and, indeed, would be a serious bug if it didn't occur), but using the metadata (and app name) as the document window title is completely wrong on a Mac (and I have the AHIG to prove it). Wink Even Firefox managed to get that right eventually....

It annoys me to no end that I can't tell what document--or version of a document usually--I'm reading because some (usually auto-generated rather than human-created and therefore mostly useless) "title" metadata is the window title instead of the filename.

It actually gets worse in OOo 2; now some metadata-less documents display the filename extension and some don't, making it even harder to tell which document is which--and even less consistent and user-friendly. (And now my blood is about to boil about the OOo UI designers, so I'd better stop and have a cup of tea.... Smile)

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
(And now my blood is about to boil about the OOo UI designers, so I'd better stop and have a cup of tea.... Smile)

Smokey

That'll be with milk and no sugar for me then, please! Wink

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Retention of the metadata themselves is fine (and, indeed, would be a serious bug if it didn't occur), but using the metadata (and app name) as the document window title is completely wrong on a Mac (and I have the AHIG to prove it). Wink

Remember, OpenOffice is originally written for an Operating System other than MacOSX. We are trying to 'shoe horn' a size 10 foot into a size 8 shoe. Something has to 'give' in the OpenOffice product and a lot of that is MacOSX functionality. We bring that functionality back with NeoOffice.

sardisson wrote:
Even Firefox managed to get that right eventually....

The Mozilla Firefox folks went out and created a MacOSX only version of Firefox (want to check this out, Firefox for the Mac is at and will remain at 1.0.4 whereas the Windows(TM) version is at 1.0.9). This is because they could not change the functionality of the program without rewriting it. As I've said for a while here, if you want a MacOSX fully functional version of any program, you have to rewrite it or write wrapper modification code that goes around the orginal version's presentation framework (in the case of OpenOffice this appears to be GTK). Since Mozilla Firefox is considered 'lightweight' when compared to OpenOffice, it appears that it was easier to rewrite it to be compliant. However, this does lead to version lag (and this is serious in the case of Mozilla Firefox) and can leave major functionality and even bugfixes out of the rewritten version.

sardisson wrote:

It annoys me to no end that I can't tell what document--or version of a document usually--I'm reading because some (usually auto-generated rather than human-created and therefore mostly useless) "title" metadata is the window title instead of the filename.

But does NeoOffice overcome this shortcoming. If not, then it should be one if the items looked at by the development team.

sardisson wrote:

It actually gets worse in OOo 2; now some metadata-less documents display the filename extension and some don't, making it even harder to tell which document is which--and even less consistent and user-friendly. (And now my blood is about to boil about the OOo UI designers, so I'd better stop and have a cup of tea.... Smile)

Again, this is because the X11 version of OpenOffice 2.0 for the Mac is a hack so that OpenOffice will RUN on a Mac, not present all of the functionality that Mac users desire and are used to. Maybe Patrick and/or Ed can look into fixing this problem (if it is not already fixed).

BTW, I'll make my tea Earl Gray, hot.

Have a great weekend folks. I feel that I'm coming down with something and will be spending a great deal of time in bed.

James
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
sardisson wrote:

The Mozilla Firefox folks went out and created a MacOSX only version of Firefox (want to check this out, Firefox for the Mac is at and will remain at 1.0.4 whereas the Windows(TM) version is at 1.0.9). This is because they could not change the functionality of the program without rewriting it. As I've said for a while here, if you want a MacOSX fully functional version of any program, you have to rewrite it or write wrapper modification code that goes around the orginal version's presentation framework (in the case of OpenOffice this appears to be GTK). Since Mozilla Firefox is considered 'lightweight' when compared to OpenOffice, it appears that it was easier to rewrite it to be compliant. However, this does lead to version lag (and this is serious in the case of Mozilla Firefox) and can leave major functionality and even bugfixes out of the rewritten version.

Firefox versions are the same on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
Firefox 1.5 was out the same day on these 3 platforms, thanks to XUL.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject:

[quote="val1984"]
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Firefox versions are the same on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
Firefox 1.5 was out the same day on these 3 platforms, thanks to XUL.

Thank you for the correction. However, my copy of Firefox 1.0.4 did not detect that 1.5 was out. I decided, after reading a story about the new Firefox, to download it. It appears that there is an issue with Firefox and some of the sites that I visit (try Sprint.com and look at the tower maps for the PCS system.)

I will agree that XUL is the way to go if you are working on multiple Operating System platforms and works much better than VCL.

James
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Thank you for the correction. However, my copy of Firefox 1.0.4 did not detect that 1.5 was out. I decided, after reading a story about the new Firefox, to download it.

In fact, Firefox was at version 1.0.7 before jumping to 1.5. Many releases were made available for the Mac :
Mozilla's FTP / Firefox

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
It appears that there is an issue with Firefox and some of the sites that I visit (try Sprint.com and look at the tower maps for the PCS system.)

I think that is a Java issue. Try installing [url=javaplugin.sf.net]Java Embedding Plugin[/url] which enables web browsers to access Java 1.4.2 and 1.5 (except Safari because it already has access to this).

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
I will agree that XUL is the way to go if you are working on multiple Operating System platforms and works much better than VCL.

A XUL based iTunes like initiative : SongBird will be made available this month.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Thank you for the correction. However, my copy of Firefox 1.0.4 did not detect that 1.5 was out. I decided, after reading a story about the new Firefox, to download it.

In fact, Firefox was at version 1.0.7 before jumping to 1.5. Many releases were made available for the Mac :
Mozilla's FTP / Firefox

No doubt there were more versions, but the updater on my Mac would NOT find them. I could do so in Windows (but that system is not on the Internet anymore due to company security issues.)
val1984 wrote:

A XUL based iTunes like initiative : SongBird will be made available this month.

Good. I hope to look at this project and see where they are at.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1