Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Question about quotation marks in different languages
Question about quotation marks in different languages

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Question about quotation marks in different languages

I had fairly recently some really helpful advice from yoxi about setting up macros for different language sets. One problem I still have are quotation marks. It seems stupid, but there are differences. In English they are always at the top, regardless whether it is at the beginning or at the end of the quotation. In German the marks are at the bottom at the start of the quotation and at the top at its end. I tried to modify them manually in the Tools-Autoformat-Custom Quote section but without luck.('Crying or Very sad') A search on NeoWiki came up with no results. Can anybody help or point me in the right direction?

Martin
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Given that OOo is descended from a German product and the Sun team of OOo programmers are German, I find that problem a bit perplexing Smile

I know quotes switched languages properly when I did the Multilingual Announcement--but I may have had to retype/find-replace them after I assigned languages to the text sections (since they were all straight quotes on the wiki, I had to do that anyway, so no big deal).

Hmm, I'm getting double-lower-9 then German word then double-upper-6 („zwei“) here. Since I'm in an English document and I don't have any paragraphs or styles defined, I went to Format: Character...: Font and changed the language of my Western font to German, then typed.

Perhaps something in the order of "set language" "type quotes", or something odd in yoxi's macro?

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Smokey. Thought myself that this was impossible not to work. I moved my library folder aside and it worked straightaway.('Very Happy') Something must have become corrupted. Now I only have to get my macros back.('Sad')
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Glenner wrote:
I moved my library folder aside and it worked straightaway.('Very Happy') Something must have become corrupted.

That definitely rings a bell. I had a situation back in March where one of the English quotes wasn't being inserted as a "curly" quote even though the setting was correct in the prefs. Same "solution" after looking for a while for an individual file to trash Sad

At that point, I started zipping periodic "backups" of my library so I wouldn't have to reinstall all my macros, color changes, styles, and so forth when something went bad. Just trash the old folder, unzip, and back in action.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1