Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How to install Mobile Device Filters for Writer2Latex?
How to install Mobile Device Filters for Writer2Latex?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jens-Erik
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: How to install Mobile Device Filters for Writer2Latex?

Hello,

I'd like to install Writer2Latex <http://www.hj-gym.dk/~hj/writer2latex/>, a converter from OOo/Neooffice files to Latex

One prerequisite is:

"You must have the Mobile Device Filters installed. If you didn't install these during installation (it's not part of a standard installation!), you can run OOo setup, choose Modify and add the filters. This will install a framework for Java based filters in OOo (known as xmerge), which is also used by Writer2LaTeX (despite the fact that it has nothing to do with mobile devices)."

How can I do this in Neooffice (or OOo for X on Mac), if at all? Neither OOo Mac for X nor Neooffice have this kind of installer like Linux (and probably Solaris) and Windows do.

Jens
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject:

Since Neo/J includes OOo's multi-user installation, I believe that the xmerge stuff is automatically included in all Neo/J installations.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Since Neo/J includes OOo's multi-user installation, I believe that the xmerge stuff is automatically included in all Neo/J installations.

Patrick:

I think that xmerge is built-in, but I will check my build logs for its presence.

James
Jens-Erik
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Yes, xmerge.jar is there! Still, Writer2Latex doesn't work

Yes, you both are right, there is a NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/classes/xmerge.jar.

So probably it must be another reason why this Writer2Latex doesn't work. I intalled it according to the instructions. Now there are some export type items when you choose the "Export" menu, but then you get an I/O error when exporting as XHTML+MathML and an empty file if you export as Latex.

I'd appreciate any hints to get this working. Has anybody tried it? Anyway, it works as a Java standalone program.

I really like this filter because you can write scientific documents in OOo or NeoOffice without being afraid of having to reformat the whole document in case you see that you need the capabilities of Latex.

Jens
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject:

Could it be the Java version mismatch, like with the JDBC connector?

I'm just starting to read the manual and I see it requires JVM 1.4 or 1.5 (in fact, it seems to say you must have a Sun JVM, not a third-party one)....

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject:

I don't think so, because the standalone command line version of writer2latex works on my Mac (OS X 10.3.9).

$ java -version
java version "1.4.2_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_05-141.4)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-38, mixed mode)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject:

The version you get of java on the command-line has no bearing on the JVM actually used by Neo/J. Neo/J explicitly embeds a 1.3.1 VM, so if it does require 1.4 then you're out of luck.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject:

...and if you want to try running your Java program with Java 1.3.1 to verify that it works with Java 1.3.1, use the following command instead of "java":

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Commands/java

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The version you get of java on the command-line has no bearing on the JVM actually used by Neo/J. Neo/J explicitly embeds a 1.3.1 VM, so if it does require 1.4 then you're out of luck.

Maybe, I should try this with my Neo/J 1.2 Alpha build then. I think it uses 1.4.

James
Jens-Erik
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: It works on OOo 1.4.1 Mac

I tried the filters with OOo 1.4.1 for X on Mac. They work after changing the Java version from 1.3 to 1.4.2 with program/jvmsetup. But it wasn't so easy to find out what directory to choose exactly because the displayed 1.3 path is cut off at the end: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/(...?). After some trying I found the correct one (but I don't remember exactly which one it was).

Before, there was the same problem like with NeoO/J 1.1, i. e. emtpy files. So probably it will work with NeoO/J 1.2.

So if I understand well, the Java version used for filters etc. can't be changed in NO because it uses Java for its user interface with an embedded VM, and that must be the same like for filters or other user code. Question

Jens
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: It works on OOo 1.4.1 Mac

Jens-Erik wrote:
So if I understand well, the Java version used for filters etc. can't be changed in NO because it uses Java for its user interface with an embedded VM, and that must be the same like for filters or other user code. Question

Bingo. The embedded VM version in Neo/J can't be changed from 1.3.1 without recompiling the program. The next major Neo/J release will be using Java 1.4 as 1.3 is not supported on Mactel machines.

You may want to go onto the xmerge project's mailing list and start poking them to see exactly why Java 1.4 is required. I suspect it's because they're using some of the XML parsers that started to get included in the Sun distros (I think javax.xml but may be wrong). Personally, I think that's a bs dependency since there's no reason they couldn't either use Xerces or provide an appropriate jar file to throw on the classpath for 1.3.1. Doing the jar file thing worked for some of the build tools for platforms where Java 1.4 isn't available (and may never be).

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1