Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Scots Gaelic language pack
Scots Gaelic language pack

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rory
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Scots Gaelic language pack

Hello all,

I'm new to neooffice, but have been using open office on my pc for a while. Now that I've moved to mac osx I would like to continue using openoffice. I've recently heard that a scots gaelic language version has been developed and would like to ask you if it is possible to use this language pack with neo office on the mac?

Thanks in advance,
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Scots Gaelic language pack

rory wrote:
I've recently heard that a scots gaelic language version has been developed and would like to ask you if it is possible to use this language pack with neo office on the mac?

That depends on (roughly) three things:

1. What version of OOo the language pack is for,
2. How the language pack has been released, and
3. What the language pack contains.

If the pack is only for OOo 1.9.x/2.0, you're out of luck immediately. Neo/J is currently based on the stable 1.1 branch of OOo code. Also, our language packs are generated from code in the official OOo cvs, so if the Scots Gaelic project has not submitted its code to the official source repository, you're also (likely) out of luck. However, even if the code is not in the OOo cvs, you should still be able to use the writing tools (just not the localized user interface)--if the 1.1 branch contains the necessary locale data for Scots Gaelic (and if it doesn't, it's also possible you can "hack" another language, like Irish, to pretend to be Scots Gaelic).

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Scots Gaelic language pack

Smokey wrote:

". . . (and if it doesn't, it's also possible you can 'hack' another language, like Irish, to pretend to be Scots Gaelic)."

This contrivance no longer works (at least for me). I don't know whether its disappearance dates from my upgrading to Neo Office 1.1 or my upgrading to OS 10.4.2, but I can't manage to re-establish it (following the detailed notes I made as a result of all the help offered at the time by Max and others).

Séamas Ó Brógáin
----------------
Dublin
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Scots Gaelic language pack

Anonymous wrote:
This contrivance no longer works (at least for me). I don't know whether its disappearance dates from my upgrading to Neo Office 1.1 or my upgrading to OS 10.4.2, but I can't manage to re-establish it (following the detailed notes I made as a result of all the help offered at the time by Max and others).

Sad I'm guessing it has something to do with the missing files Max described in bug 487. I wonder if something changed in 1.1.4, which would be the main difference between Neo/J Beta in Feb and now....

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject:

Possible limitations of actually using it (described by SOB) aside, I see the Scots Gaelic dictionary is available for download, so it's probably in CVS, too.

If it ends up working in a stock 1.1.4/1.1.5, I imagine it should be included in the next version of Neo/J. There is some indication that 1.1.x has "defined" Scots Gaelic, but that may not be enough, as it also defines Irish Gaelic and SOB can speak to the problems there...I suppose it's possible the bug that affected Irish Gaelic doesn't affect Scots Gaelic.....

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1