· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J Performance Patch Ready for Testing
NeoOffice/J Performance Patch Ready for Testing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
F.Pastor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject:

Glenner wrote:
A restart of the system is now cancelled when Neo/J is running. A system message is displayed: The application NeoOffice cancelled restart. I believe that this was not the case before (?).

It's the same problem for me. It's a bit annoying, but I will survive Wink A good point, maybe not intentional : the windows dock of DragThing now works fine with NeoOffice/J ! (Before, opening NeoOffice/J always froze DragThing completely when its windows dock was used...)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject:

Note that the system shutdown cancellation message (at least on Tiger) has a timeout...if an application does not quit within a specific amount of time (if, for example, it's busy getting swapped in) then the shutdown will be canceled. FWIW XCode does this to me when I'm working on real projects with a few hundred files Wink

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Note that the system shutdown cancellation message (at least on Tiger) has a timeout...if an application does not quit within a specific amount of time (if, for example, it's busy getting swapped in) then the shutdown will be canceled. FWIW XCode does this to me when I'm working on real projects with a few hundred files Wink

If I want to shutdown, I can. However, if you select a system shutdown and a running application will not quit, the shutdown is cancelled. This is MUCH better than the few crashes I subjected myself to when using LINUX on a PC.
The only complaint that I have is that the Forced Quit window is not opened so that I can force the application to quit (it may actually be the reason that I want "out" and have the system shutdown.

Oh well.....

James
arvid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject:

i also have scrolling oddities with my scrollwheel when i scroll fast. - jumps back to beginning. No big bugs found yet

standard GUI operations like hovering over buttons and opening subwindows are MUCH quicker. menus seem faster too, once one is open. opening a menu is still a bit sluggish.

bravo! When this version is polished, neooffice will be even better!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I posted "Performance Patch 1.2" at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/patches/NeoOfficeJ-1.1-Performance_Test_Patch-1.1.dmg.

This latest patch has many fixes for weird font display bugs that many of you reported. Also, I have reverted the event process so that, hopefully, the mouse wheel "jumpiness" that some of you reported is fixed.

Lastly, with the font fixes, I noticed that startup time on my machine was reduced by 4 seconds with 130 fonts installed. Does anybody notice a similar improvement?

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject:

With the previous patch, my machine at work seemed like it had a faster startup time (only stock OS X fonts). It was already pretty snappy before, however, so I may be seeing things. Scrolling seems much more responsive/smooth.

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
This latest patch has many fixes for weird font display bugs that many of you reported. Also, I have reverted the event process so that, hopefully, the mouse wheel "jumpiness" that some of you reported is fixed.

Mousewheel behaviour much improved now, thanks.

Sadly, though Helvetica Neue normal now displays normally, if it's bolded (as opposed to using H N Bold font) it turns into gibberish:

- yoxi
F.Pastor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

ed

OK, but this behaviour is new for NeoOffice/J, it didn't happen before this patch (and with patch 1.2, it's the same). And it happens now each time I restart or shut the computer, no matter how many files are opened.
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject:

Obviously no flies on Patrick, swiftly issueing another patch! Slightly quicker loading: 32 cold (35 before), 9 warm (11 before). I have the (unverified) impression that it takes longer to open/convert documents.

2 comments: I have no problems with N/J cancelling a restart. But is it really because of a time-out? I noted that the system message comes up immediately after the restart command while N/J actually is being shut-down at the same time (tried it twice). I seem to remember that the system is far more "patient" with other applications.

I assume the progress bar being displayed during loading is not a real-time display? Therefore the following observation may not be of any use. I notice that at @ 15 sec into the process the bar seems to hang for quite a while which was not the case with Java 1.3
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject:

Glenner wrote:
I assume the progress bar being displayed during loading is not a real-time display? Therefore the following observation may not be of any use. I notice that at @ 15 sec into the process the bar seems to hang for quite a while which was not the case with Java 1.3

I assumed that's where it was running into fonts, since mine sits there for quite some time, too, and I have 200 or so fonts. But I haven't disabled them all to test.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject:

I feel myself like a voice in the desert, but every document I'm working with is quite slower with this new version... today I opened a draw document with 2 pages and only for switching from one page to another takes variable times from 3 seconds to 11 seconds (!) the same page! I see a variable lag after the draw of the page and before the draw of the capture lines (linee di cattura in italia, I do not know the english for this).

f.
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject:

this is the test I made yesterday: I add a test with draw document: I see there is something wrong in redraw: things like 'calling' a document from dock or switching from a draw page to another force neooffce to redraw all the contents.

Simple performance test:
neo = neooffice/j 1.1
nio= neooffice/j using the last performance patch

opening a complex db form: neo 6 sec; nio 6 sec
calling a open windows from dock: neo 0 sec; nio 2 sec (or more if images in it)
opening a simple db form: neo 6 sec; nio 6 sec
opening a large staroffice calc file: neo 5 sec; nio 5 sec
calc macro scrolling: neo 17 sec; nio 26 sec
opening a write complex document: neo 8 sec; nio 10 sec
simple write document: neo 1 sec; nio 3 sec
switching form properties window: neo 2 sec; nio 0 sec
opening a draw document (2 pages with a image): neo 6 sec; nio 8 sec
switching from a draw page to another: neo 0 sec; nio 2/11 sec (!)
memory usage with a db, draw, calc and write document open: neo 232 (1011 virtual), nio 242 (719 virtual)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject:

fabrizio venerandi wrote:
this is the test I made yesterday: I add a test with draw document: I see there is something wrong in redraw: things like 'calling' a document from dock or switching from a draw page to another force neooffce to redraw all the contents.

The "clearing" of the window that you are seeing (and clearing when you resize the window) is a "feature" of Java 1.4.x. Java does not allow this behavior to be turned off so what you see is a redrawn immediately after Java has notified Neo/J that it has cleared the window.

As for performance, Java 1.4.x uses Cocoa whereas Java 1.3.1 uses Carbon. Carbon, IMO, does drawing very fast (with Java 1.3.1, I turned off Java's graphics acceleration support). In contrast, when Apple switched to Cocoa in Java 1.4.x, they added all sorts of changes to get the same (or nearly the same) drawing speed. The biggest change was that graphics acceleration is used by Java for all drawing and use of it cannot be turned off.

What is my point? It is possible that, for some reason, Java 1.4.x is not able to push drawing to your specific graphics card and, as a result, you are seeing unaccelerated Cocoa drawing.

While I really liked the speed of Java 1.3.1, Apple stopped doing bug fixes for it at least a year ago and it won't be shipped with any machines starting next June. So, we are pretty much stuck with Java 1.4.x, warts and all. Sad

Patrick

Patrick
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Glenner wrote:

I assumed that's where it was running into fonts, since mine sits there for quite some time, too, and I have 200 or so fonts. But I haven't disabled them all to test.

It is - if you have activity monitor open at the same time you will see ATServer running when the NOJ progress bar stalls - in the N3 version this process started prior to the splash screen appearing, so this is a change (and for the better as it no longer feels as though the launch has potentially failed straight away).

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject:

Glenner wrote:
A restart of the system is now cancelled when Neo/J is running. A system message is displayed: The application NeoOffice cancelled restart. I believe that this was not the case before (?).

This is a new "feature" in Java 1.4.x. When you do system shutdown, Java 1.4.x asks the Neo/J code if it is OK to quit. The Neo/J code says "no" to allow time for the "save as" dialogs to be displayed and to handle the case if you cancel quitting.

With Java 1.3.1, a system shutdown didn't notify Neo/J that it was quitting and just blindly quit.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 3 of 26