Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - USB2.0/Firewire Enclosures and Missing Drive Space
USB2.0/Firewire Enclosures and Missing Drive Space

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: USB2.0/Firewire Enclosures and Missing Drive Space

Good luck. I found an external USB2.0 and Firewire enclosure today at Simutek (great Mac shop been around for a LOOOOONG time). It was a Chinese made no-name box. The interesting thing is that there is two USB 2.0 cables, one to connect the box to the USB port and the other to supply 5VDC. There was only one six pin FireWire cable in the box. Guess which setup I'm using? And the 60GB drive fit right in and I have four VFAT (FAT32 aka Windows98SE) partitions. Unfortunately, I don't see the Linux drives that were on the drive. They took up about 50GB of drive space. Is there anything that I can do to get those partitions off of the drive, other than backing them up to DVD in my old Thinkpad?

Thanks.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject:

I've seen some mention, maybe on ResExcellence, of a driver that lets you mount (read-only) whatever the filesystem is that Linux uses.

That should do what you want, I think. And then reformat to get the space back.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I've seen some mention, maybe on ResExcellence, of a driver that lets you mount (read-only) whatever the filesystem is that Linux uses.

That should do what you want, I think. And then reformat to get the space back.

Thanks. I was wondering if there was a Linux read-only or (better yet) read-write EXT3 driver. I guess I will have to search for it.

James
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Thanks. I was wondering if there was a Linux read-only or (better yet) read-write EXT3 driver. I guess I will have to search for it.

Ext2FSX does this but it doesn't work under Tiger and the GUI is kinda broken under Panther so you'll have to mount your partitions manually...
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:

Ext2FSX does this but it doesn't work under Tiger and the GUI is kinda broken under Panther so you'll have to mount your partitions manually...

Thanks, val1984.

I was afraid that was the status of this project. I did visit SF and found that it it is on 'hold'. I would send you the drive, but I don't think it would pass through Customs. I might remount it for the Thinkpad and move data off of it onto DVD/RW and then move that back onto the drive after a reformat.

James
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject:

Maybe you should try with a Linux Live CD like Ubuntu for example Wink
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
Maybe you should try with a Linux Live CD like Ubuntu for example Wink

Val:

Will it read HFS file systems? I don't have enough space on the drive to pull over the files to the VFAT partitions (although I may be able to destroy enough of the remaining partitions to build a big enough VFAT partiition to move over the files.)

I think I threw away my Ubantu Live CD when I moved and I don't have access to it here, anyway.

Something to look forward to doing this weekend.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1