Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Slow(er) startup?
Slow(er) startup?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indifferentj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Slow(er) startup?

I'm getting signficantly slow startups since installing Patch 2. Before I had about 11 seconds to startup. Now it's closer to 45. Is this because I'm a Panther user? Are only Tiger users seeing faster load times?
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject:

When you start up, is there a very prolonged stall at about two-thirds of the way through that accounts for the majority of the load time? If so, then the longer start-up time is due to the loading of fonts. The more fonts you have enabled, the longer your start-up time. Use Font Book to disable any non-system fonts that you are not using and the load time will be faster.

Btw, did the previous version really load in 11 seconds or was it 11 seconds from when the splash screen appeared (I ask, because this font loading used to occur prior to the appearance of the splash screen and it would help to know if something has changed dramatically between the two versions)? Also, do you have either OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 or 2.0 for X11 installed?

Edit: it takes about 30 to 35 seconds to fully load on my Mac after I have reduced the number of active fonts to about 100 or so.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
indifferentj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject:

It was 11 seconds total, although the first startup after booting the machine probably took a bit longer. I have previously installed OOo 2.0 and I do have x11 on my machine, though I removed OOo a while back.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow(er) startup?

indifferentj wrote:
I'm getting signficantly slow startups since installing Patch 2. Before I had about 11 seconds to startup. Now it's closer to 45. Is this because I'm a Panther user? Are only Tiger users seeing faster load times?

I never promised that Patch-2 would have faster load times. I only promised that some users would find the splash screen appears faster.

What you are probably seeing is the much slower font name matching code that is required to match the different font names that Mac OS X uses for Java 1.4.x, Cocoa, and ATS. Why is this slower? Because Apple has not provided any reliable way to map fonts in these three APIs to each other. What is even worse is that Apple's engineers have used different font naming conventions in each of these three APIs so comparing font names is not very reliable and requires a few extra steps.

Patrick
GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: >90% CPU

I'm having a new performance issue after startup with Patch 2: CPU usage builds gradually over several documents and 15 minutes or so to 90-100% CPU (whether NOJ is in background or foreground), then drops back to 17% when I quit NOJ (which I have to do, it just gets too slow). Very consistently reproducible. Any insight? Cheers,
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Can you reproduce this?

You may want to try moving your NeoOfficeJ-1.1 folder out of ~/Library temporarily and relaunching NeoOffice/J to see if it still occurs. If it doesn't, can you archive that NeoOfficeJ-1.1 folder (control-click it and select Create Archive of "NeoOfficeJ-1.1" then attach that to a bug report saying what you did and why (go to the Neo Bugzilla - link in the Other Websites pane to the left here to submit a report).

If that doesn't work to solve the problem, open Activity Monitor and perform a sample while the CPU is being pegged. (/Applications/Utilities, launch Activity Monitor and select View>Customise Toolbar... to add the Sample button to the toolbar. Highlight the NeoOffice/J process and click the Sample button and save the record created to your hard drive). Submit a bug report describing what you were doing at the time and attach the sample along with any documents you had open at the time (if you can - obviously, don't attach anything requiring privacy).

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: >90% CPU

GibHenry wrote:
I'm having a new performance issue after startup with Patch 2: CPU usage builds gradually over several documents and 15 minutes or so to 90-100% CPU (whether NOJ is in background or foreground), then drops back to 17% when I quit NOJ (which I have to do, it just gets too slow). Very consistently reproducible. Any insight? Cheers,

I suspect that you have not installed Apple's latest Java updates. If you open the System Preferences application, click on the "Software Updates" icon, and click on the "Check Now" button, do you see a Java update? If so, try installing that update and tell us if that helps reduce CPU.

Patrick
indifferentj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Regarding my original post, I just want to make it clear that this was a question and not a complaint.

Thanks Ed and Patrick for all of your work. NeoOffice is suitable for _way_ more than light use, and it's the only open-source office app that actually works on OS X.

- John
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject:

indifferentj wrote:
Regarding my original post, I just want to make it clear that this was a question and not a complaint.

Thanks Ed and Patrick for all of your work. NeoOffice is suitable for _way_ more than light use, and it's the only open-source office app that actually works on OS X.

- John

No worries. However, it does kind of suck that Apple had to make Cocoa fonts so different from Carbon fonts. Sad

Patrick
GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: >90% CPU

pluby wrote:
GibHenry wrote:

I suspect that you have not installed Apple's latest Java updates. If you open the System Preferences application, click on the "Software Updates" icon, and click on the "Check Now" button, do you see a Java update? If so, try installing that update and tell us if that helps reduce CPU.

Patrick

I auto-check weekly, but just to be sure, I reset ignored updates and tried again...nothing of interest. Right now, NOJ with no document open is using over 50% according to Activity Monitor; total is 92-99%. Quitting NOJ but no other changes causes CPU usage to drop to 30%. Relaunch NOJ w/empty document and it drops down to 15% out of a total of 70%. Generally climbs over 10-15 minutes. Cheers,

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
indifferentj wrote:

- John

No worries. However, it does kind of suck that Apple had to make Cocoa fonts so different from Carbon fonts. Sad

Patrick

Wouldn't it have been NeXT that were the original culprits? Razz

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: >90% CPU

GibHenry wrote:
I auto-check weekly, but just to be sure, I reset ignored updates and tried again...nothing of interest. Right now, NOJ with no document open is using over 50% according to Activity Monitor; total is 92-99%. Quitting NOJ but no other changes causes CPU usage to drop to 30%. Relaunch NOJ w/empty document and it drops down to 15% out of a total of 70%. Generally climbs over 10-15 minutes. Cheers,

I generally watch CPU usage by executing the "top" command in a terminal. Activity monitor adds a lot of overhead due to its sampling of stack traces.

If you quit activity monitor and run top, are you seeing the same CPU usage figures or are other applications using some CPU?

Patrick
indifferentj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm actually getting the same thing in terms of CPU usage when I check with top. soffice.bin taking between 50 and 70% at all times after I have used it for a while, even if there is no document open in NeoOffice. It drops if I restart NeoOffice, but slowly climbs back.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Odd, this I haven't seen. On the other hand, I've been running long MATLAB routines for the last week Smile

The overhead of activity monitor is also quite a bit less if you close the activity window, floating windows, and leave only the Dock tile CPU meter.

ed
miggs
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Odd, this I haven't seen. On the other hand, I've been running long MATLAB routines for the last week Smile

The overhead of activity monitor is also quite a bit less if you close the activity window, floating windows, and leave only the Dock tile CPU meter.

ed

Why is that (the overhead being so much in activity monitor)? Patrick, Ed can you fix that too?

Just kidding! Laughing
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2