Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Use NeoOffice as root user
Use NeoOffice as root user

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henk_van_Gerwen
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Use NeoOffice as root user

Hello, when I try to use NeoOffice as root user, it does'nt allow me to do so.
Is there a way to overcome this "problem", because I'm using other software where I have to be root I want ofcourse use every application as root.
Thank you in advance!
Henk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject:

Something I'm still trying to comprehend to this day. When you install Neo/J (OK, just called Neo now apparently as the cocoa effort Neo/C has been abandoned) it installs with root owner. So I don't see why one should have this problem, yet obviuosly you do. I run it, and therfore assume everyone else does too then, logged in as me yet if you get info, I think you will see the owner as root. Maybe Pat or Ed can clarify...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject:

Running as root is disabled on purpose. Over a year ago I added this code because we found that running as root causes the underlying OpenOffice.org code to act like it is in "single-user install" mode. In this mode, OpenOffice.org starts writing user preferences in the /Applications/NeoOffice.app files. This, in turn, makes Neo pretty much unusable for any other user account on your machine.

The only way to run Neo while logged in as root is to execute Neo as a non-root user in a terminal:

sudo -H -u <non-root-user-name> /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin

Note that the "-H" and "-u" parameters must be used.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject:

To add to that: it installs as root to be able to use multi-user mode and this also keeps the application safe from users who start to mess with it. The fact that it doesn't run as root is also good since the user will not easily be able to mess up system files under root priviliges..

Of course, one would expect root users to know what they are doing, but for alpha software that is also found by a less experienced administrator, this might just be the safest thing.

See Patrick's workaround above if you want to use it while logged in as root.

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
To add to that: it installs as root to be able to use multi-user mode and this also keeps the application safe from users who start to mess with it. The fact that it doesn't run as root is also good since the user will not easily be able to mess up system files under root priviliges..

Here is one additional fact that has not been pointed out by either Patrick or Oscar. The root user login is disabled by default on all MacOSX installations and you have to go through some serious hoops to get access to it. This is definately DELIBRATE. I know of many reasons, most to do with system security that you NEVER want to work on your system as the root user. If you have an application that requires you be the root user then attempt to run in in a sudo session. This is MUCH safer. I would also as the application's developer if the application can be rewritten to run as a system administrator rather than root. I will give you one example of why you should never run your system as root and this is a practical example (I've never done this but I have done what I am about to say in a critical directory and ended up reinstalling, patching, installing applications on a system that I no longer have.) As an ordinary user, cd to root (/). Type in rm -rf * and hit enter. You should not be able to delete ANYTHING except files that you installed (as a matter of fact you should receive an immediate error message). If you were logged in as root, you would not receive this error message and you would should end up with a nice clean empty hard drive (assuming that you did not hit the Escape key and waited for the # prompt to return.) Yes, you could do the same thing with a system administrator account, but you would have to use the super-user do (sudo) program and actually have to type in a password.
And I agree with Patrick's automatic disabling of using Neo (or even OpenOffice will not allow) as the root user.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject:

I thought this prohibition was in the wiki already, but it was just the admin-install requirement (caused by the same boneheaded OOo code behavior), so I've added info about root to the Installation Issues page....

Smokey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Pat for the workaround and thanks to the remaining Neo braintrust for the thorough explanation and cautions.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Thanks Pat for the workaround and thanks to the remaining Neo braintrust for the thorough explanation and cautions.

You are welcome.

James
Henk_van_Gerwen
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Use NeoOffice as root user

Thanks for the answers, tried but got the messages below.
Please advise me!

sudo -H -u henk /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin
Error occurred during initialization of VM
java.lang.Error: Properties init: Could not determine current working directory.
JavaVM: JNI_CreateJavaVM called _exit, caught by abort_handler in javavm.cxx
Application Error
pure virtual method called

Kind regards,

Henk
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject:

Which applications require you to run them as root? Shocked
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Use NeoOffice as root user

Henk_van_Gerwen wrote:
java.lang.Error: Properties init: Could not determine current working directory.
Application Error

Does the "henk" user have a valid home directory? The user needs to have a a valid, writable home directory (not "/") that it can create files in for Java to work. Also, is the current working directory readable by the "henk" user? If not, Java is choking on the fact that it cannot "pwd" the current directory.

Patrick
Henk_van_Gerwen
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Use NeoOffice as root user

Yes, user henk is an ordinary user that has all its directories etc.
I used this before I was using another application. But because of that application I must be root. By the way this application is "Ethereal", a network packet analyser installed with Fink-commander.
To run "Ethereal" one must be root because "Ethereal" must look and handle device files and they are only accessable by root.

Kind regards,

Henk
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject:

Ethereal is a command line program, isn't it?
Therefore, you should run it with "sudo" in your normal user account by typing something like "sudo ethereal".
It's dangerous to use the root account for day to day use...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Use NeoOffice as root user

pluby wrote:
Henk_van_Gerwen wrote:
Application Error

Does the "henk" user have a valid home directory? The user needs to have a a valid, writable home directory (not "/") that it can create files in for Java to work. Also, is the current working directory readable by the "henk" user? If not, Java is choking on the fact that it cannot "pwd" the current directory.

Patrick

that is, when you open a terminal.app window it shows a prompt of ...henk% before you enter the sudo... command line, corrcect?

Agree with others, you should check permissions on your Home folder and the Java stuff in the error message..
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Use NeoOffice as root user

Henk_van_Gerwen wrote:
Yes, user henk is an ordinary user that has all its directories etc.
I used this before I was using another application. But because of that application I must be root. By the way this application is "Ethereal", a network packet analyser installed with Fink-commander.
To run "Ethereal" one must be root because "Ethereal" must look and handle device files and they are only accessable by root.

As it has been pointed out, you can and it is RECOMMENDED that you run Ethereal in a sudo session. The user you run Ethereal must be a System Administrator, which I assume the henk user is.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2