Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice Video Insert?
NeoOffice Video Insert?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickej

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice Video Insert?

I'm trying to add video to a NeoOffice presentation, but the Insert>Objects>Video option is grayed out. So is sound for that mtter. Any suggestions?

NeoOffice/J 1.1 on 10.4
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice Video Insert?

nickej wrote:
I'm trying to add video to a NeoOffice presentation, but the Insert>Objects>Video option is grayed out. So is sound for that mtter. Any suggestions?

I suppose it might have something to do with the fact that plugins have not been implemented yet (I believe these are not working in OOo either)...

Best wishes,
Oscar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject:

Trying not to bash here, but unfortunately this is the kind of thing that the M$ sheep will point to as to why Neo, and by extension OOo, is not quite "prime time" since Neo depends on OOo which is the root cause.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Trying not to bash here, but unfortunately this is the kind of thing that the M$ sheep will point to as to why Neo, and by extension OOo, is not quite "prime time" since Neo depends on OOo which is the root cause.

True, and a pity as well. I always hoped someone would use Camino code, since it is based on Mozilla which is in the codebase anyway, and use that to address plugins. Either that or Apple code from Safari.

Of course, this falls under the heading of very non-trivial improvements. The kind we will need several thousands of dollars for if Patrick is to have time to plug it in..

EDIT: Of course, it isn't a very frequently used feature...

Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

Guys, I can imagine all sorts of little "add-ons" etc but how many people do actually need that sort of thing? So I am very happy to read that EDIT above. Everybody should just pick what suits them best. E.g., I am using the language feature of NeoO quite a bit which Word doesn't offer - at least not with that convenience.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject:

I think where this is likely used the most is in Impress (which I never use, except when testing bugs or taking screenshots for the wiki Wink), so if you're just using Writer or Calc, you'd never miss it. But lots of people love to put all sorts of odd things in presentations Wink

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I think where this is likely used the most is in Impress (which I never use, except when testing bugs or taking screenshots for the wiki Wink), so if you're just using Writer or Calc, you'd never miss it. But lots of people love to put all sorts of odd things in presentations Wink

I have just once seen a good use of animation in a presentation. And that was something that just opened a new window.

I believe that when it comes to presentations, less is usually more.

Fredrik Stendahl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject:

Well, I have been involved in a project where inserting a movie/animation clip into a presentation would have been nice to have in Neo also. Now KeyNote was used instead. The movie clip was part of the actual content of the presentation: how a papillary haemorrage develops over time. The clip was made by showing a series of actual photographs of the papill taken over time, shown with a cross over fade to smooth the transitions. Very eye catching (pun intended).

Depending on the subject matter of the presentation movie clip placement in presentations can be a very attrictive feature.

Cheers

Fredrik
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject:

Is it possilble to use java applets in Neo? (I could OO.o in Linux) Then you could use a java mpeg player or something? I've not been able to get any to work, but then I may not have been doing it right.
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject:

Or maybe I should just Go and read Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Guest wrote:

True, and a pity as well. I always hoped someone would use Camino code, since it is based on Mozilla which is in the codebase anyway, and use that to address plugins. Either that or Apple code from Safari.

Of course, this falls under the heading of very non-trivial improvements. The kind we will need several thousands of dollars for if Patrick is to have time to plug it in..

True, but in the world of marketing, perception is everything. One product has video insert capability, the other doesn't. One product launches and runs faster, one doesn't, etc. I'm on your side .Not much will get me to use M$ Word but many, most actually, aren't as "philosophically opposed" to the the whole monopoly thing, instead they just say, "Hey, my school offers it for $10-20 bucks!, I'm in! or "Hey, it's provided free at the office and is mandatory" (or outright pirate it for home use) Just like the M$ XBox was dumped onto the game station market. They knew it was crap and said, "so what, let's just get people using it", and the rest is history, Word, etc. They have offered to open up Word code (or at least have appeared to), but how about Excel, the giant sleeper.
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, this omission from OpenOffice.org makes it a lot less attractive to a potential core market for an OSS and free office suite - (science) academics. E.g. In my prior job, animations of 3D structural representations of protein molecules was mandatory for almost any presentation. IMO, Impress is probably the second most underwhelming of all the 4 main components of OpenOffice.org (Draw being the most) and could seriously do with a major overhaul if OpenOffice.org really wants to compete with MS Office. I haven't tried it out much in OpenOffice.org 2.0 - is it a good deal better or is it still as mediocre as it was before?

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:

The OOo 2.0 video frameworks, to my understanding, are dependent on the Java media extensions which aren't supported on all platforms and don't support all media types and are only reliably included with Sun's own VM/JRE. I don't think this is an intentional decision by Sun, but rather just one performed because it was easy to support Windows & Solaris.

So is it better? Probalby better than nothing...but still not perfect.

Doing a QuickTime plugin for OOo/neo is on my list of things to do, but other things just have priority. QT has a Java binding on OS X which is what I was going to use as a potential starting point.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Doing a QuickTime plugin for OOo/neo is on my list of things to do, but other things just have priority. QT has a Java binding on OS X which is what I was going to use as a potential starting point.

FYI. Now that I draw directly to the screen with Java 1.4.x, you can pass the native Cocoa or Cocoa window to a plugin and, in theory, let it draw directly to the window. The big implementation issues with plugins are the following:

1. Propagating events to the plugin.
2. Insuring that the plugin's clip region never intersects the VCL clip region for a particular window.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The OOo 2.0 video frameworks, to my understanding, are dependent on the Java media extensions which aren't supported on all platforms and don't support all media types and are only reliably included with Sun's own VM/JRE.

And the JMF belches. Using it for sound in OOo 2 seems like a big step backwards; I think we get less sound support than we had in 1.1.x, and it pops up a separate window now for everything. And yeah, the codecs for JMF on non-Windows are something like two 250-year-old formats (I believe I ranted about this in OOo Testing, back when I was still posting there).

OPENSTEP wrote:

Cool! I had always wondered what would ever use QT for Java Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2