Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Clipart ??
Clipart ??

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrb91849
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Clipart ??

Hello,

I am a New User to NeoOfffice, and I would like to take this opportunity to Thank You for you for the Time and Effort you have put into this project.

Prior to NeoOffice I used MS Office X, and from time to time created Word Documents with ClipArt inserted into them.

I was wondering if NeoOffice has a ClipArt File ??? I did not see it when I went into the "Insert" Menu.

Thanks In Advance,

The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

You can look for the Gallery, but in general neither the stock OOo nor Neo come with a clipart library. Clip art is generally copyrighted and can't be redistributed.

There are some various efforts to get open source clip art and templates for OOo like an enhancement pack. One project is the openclipart project which licenses all the art under creative commons:

http://www.openclipart.org/

AFAIK, there's nothing that's directly integrated that's outside the gallery, however.

ed
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Clip art is generally copyrighted and can't be redistributed.

There are some various efforts to get open source clip art and templates for OOo like an enhancement pack. One project is the openclipart project which licenses all the art under creative commons:

http://www.openclipart.org/

Are there other open source cliparts known to someone here?
T.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:

We should probably add these to our templates list (a couple of the places already listed have a small selection of both).

The "problem" with openclipart.org is that it uses SVG, and OOo/Neo can *export* but not *import* SVG, so to use those, you'd need a 3rd-party tool to convert to EPS, WMF, or some supported bitmap format Sad

Of course, if you have old collections of Mac clipart in PICT or EPS format, Neo can use them just fine, provided they have the extensions that the OOo graphic import filters require (.pct and .eps).

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
We should probably add these to our templates list (a couple of the places already listed have a small selection of both).

The "problem" with openclipart.org is that it uses SVG, and OOo/Neo can *export* but not *import* SVG, so to use those, you'd need a 3rd-party tool to convert to EPS, WMF, or some supported bitmap format Sad

Something else that will be fixed with Neo 2.0. OpenOffice 2.0.x can import to a text document a .svg file. I can check with OpenOffice 1.1.5 (I have it built here) to see if this is true.

James
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Smokey

Smokey, et al
Did you know that openclipart.org includes SVG and Portable Network Graphics (.png) formats. The Draw part of OOo/Neo can open .png. Then you could save in another format and/or copy into another OOo/Neo document.

I have played with .PNGs plan to do more tests in the future. It's worth trying....

Philip (Using NeoOffice and loving it!! Wink )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:

No, I wasn't aware they had PNG versions there. I'd never seen one in my browsing (the docs did mention they had some WMFs, but I've never run across any of those, either).

That's certainly a helpful hint for those who don't need vector clipart, and one less bit of conversion to do.

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
OpenOffice 2.0.x can import to a text document a .svg file.

Well, a SVG document is not useful as raw text; it's only useful rendered as an image Wink which OOo 2.0.x cannot do.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
No, I wasn't aware they had PNG versions there. I'd never seen one in my browsing (the docs did mention they had some WMFs, but I've never run across any of those, either).

That's certainly a helpful hint for those who don't need vector clipart, and one less bit of conversion to do.

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
OpenOffice 2.0.x can import to a text document a .svg file.

Well, a SVG document is not useful as raw text; it's only useful rendered as an image Wink which OOo 2.0.x cannot do.

This I agree with. Why not have the ability to import a file type that you can export to? Does not make sense to me...

James

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Inkscape

Inkscape can open .svg graphics and quickly, easily convert them to .png graphics. Works great for me!
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject:

Does this mean, you have to manually convert single cliparts for bringing them into a Neo Document?
Shouldn't a long term (or middle range) goal be to have useable, free, GPL (?) Licensed clipart galleries ready for installation into Neo?
AND (I am not firm enough on legal problems) Could one of us do thelike with the openclipart stuff?
T.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject:

We can do it with openclipart as it's Creative Commons licensed (IIRC). The interesting thing with open source licenses is that most of them cover software, not documentation or clip art. There's the FDL, the Sun documentation license, and creative commons. Odd thing is that Stallman went south on creative commons (IIRC), but whatever.

If anyone wants to do templates or clip art, I'd suggest using CC, copyleft, FDL, or the like over GPL.

ed

(chekov has the power of the psychic ju jitsu!)
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Smokey

I downloaded the latest full openclipart file (.18 something ) and opened the .zip file. There are SVG, PNG, and some text files for each image.

One never knows what you find inside things. I saw the information about SVG but wanted to double check and found the PNG versions.

Philip (Looking for OOo support in all the ... right places Wink )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject:

Big combo reply coming here....

LemonAid wrote:
I downloaded the latest full openclipart file (.18 something ) and opened the .zip file. There are SVG, PNG, and some text files for each image.

A ha! I just browsed the site, and browsing only offers you the SVG file (or at least the sections I browsed). Mystery solved!

Orgleser wrote:
Does this mean, you have to manually convert single cliparts for bringing them into a Neo Document?

Unless you take the PNG versions or have a script that does an automated conversion of SVG to *. Sad

Guest wrote:
Inkscape can open .svg graphics and quickly, easily convert them to .png graphics. Works great for me!

Incidentally, this reminds me of a story that's around here somewhere: why does OOo have a splash screen? To let people know that it's actually launching. Why did OOo 1.1.x add a progress bar to the splash screen? To let people know it's actually still launching and not hung. Inkscape is the app that takes the longest to launch on my Mac (a couple of minutes) and it displays no splashscreen, no bouncing Dock icon, nothing. No xterm, so you don't even know X11 launches unless you're really paying attention, and even then, it's a long wait afterwards. You just wait and hope it starts. (I have issues with its PNG export--it never gets the size right--and its generally limited export format options--but they're beside the point here.)

Orgleser wrote:
Shouldn't a long term (or middle range) goal be to have useable, free, GPL (?) Licensed clipart galleries ready for installation into Neo?
AND (I am not firm enough on legal problems) Could one of us do thelike with the openclipart stuff?

Openclipart requires all of its clipart to be public domain, and they have a detailed explanation of why all clipart needs to be a very unrestrictive (and thus non-viral) "license" in their FAQ.

We could certainly make a Gallery (like the Cart'OOo folks have done) out of public domain images like openclipart, but there are a few issues we'd need to look at (bandwidth/filesize/hosting, vector vs. bitmap versions, a user-friendly way to install Galleries, etc.)

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

You can use [url=seashore.sf.net]SeaShore[/url] with its SVG import plugin to produce PNG files Smile
It quite fast to launch and it's a sort of lightweight Gimp without X11.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

Is .png what we would need for galleries?
Or are other formats better? Finding the best format would be a first step.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4