NeoOffice :: View topic - Clipart ??
Clipart ??

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Am I wrong? We could just put the .png's from e.g. openclipart into one or more folders, and give Users the hint to add these folders to Applications/Neo/contents/share/gallery or Applications/Neo/Contents/user/gallery, and then start Neo, open the gallery window, click "New Theme" and add the folders as subthemes.
Correct?
T.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Am I wrong? We could just put the .png's from e.g. openclipart into one or more folders, and give Users the hint to add these folders to Applications/Neo/contents/share/gallery or Applications/Neo/Contents/user/gallery, and then start Neo, open the gallery window, click "New Theme" and add the folders as subthemes.
Correct?

In theory, this should be possible. But do we want to get in the business of shipping all sorts of Clip Art with NeoOffice? I vote no. We can always add to the knowledge base at the Wiki the location of known good OpenClipArt sites.

James
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject:

Tried with some of the pngs and works for me. Perhaps you are correct, James in not shipping all of that. About 320 png's result in about 2,3 MB of disk space (and this is only the "animals" folder of openclipart). Random thought: In terms of ease of use, it is not very comfortable for everyone to have to strip lots of pngs or gifs from mixed folders. What I supposed should work for OOo too? Perhaps the OOo Community has the possibility to give server space for some ready-to-insert folders of clipart? (as they did with cartOOo and thelike) Should we suppose sth thelike there? And where and how could this be supposed? Not to forget the legal point of view - would we stay in line with the license laws by this?
T.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Correct?
T.

That is great, T! I had been wondering how to get that huge mass of clipart into a program to use, and you've solved it: and it's so easy to do. And it loads them up in a trice [trice? that's like a second] Thanks. That's what these fora do so well Smile

BTW, if you forget to give the new theme a name, it shows up as New Theme: just highlight that name, ctrl-click and you can rename eg to animals.

P
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:

BTW, if you forget to give the new theme a name, it shows up as New Theme: just highlight that name, ctrl-click and you can rename eg to animals.

P

Actually. you have to do that anyway, since you don't seem to get a chance to give the folder a name earlier.

PS When you are invited to "Find File", you need to navigate backwards through your folders, till you come to "User", then navigate forward again [eg to gallery]

P
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Tried with some of the pngs and works for me. Perhaps you are correct, James in not shipping all of that. About 320 png's result in about 2,3 MB of disk space (and this is only the "animals" folder of openclipart). Random thought: In terms of ease of use, it is not very comfortable for everyone to have to strip lots of pngs or gifs from mixed folders. What I supposed should work for OOo too? Perhaps the OOo Community has the possibility to give server space for some ready-to-insert folders of clipart? (as they did with cartOOo and thelike) Should we suppose sth thelike there? And where and how could this be supposed? Not to forget the legal point of view - would we stay in line with the license laws by this?
T.

About an hour of lazy work to get them all across [this is the openclipart-0.18-full collection of nearly 7000 images from http://www.openclipart.org/ . I notice version 0.19 is either out or about to be out. ]. Easy. I noted that the program just ignores the .svg and .txt files in the folders, so presumably you/we/someone could delete these from the folders, and save a fair amount of space, as suggested by T. above. Now, how long will these themes be available to my Neo? Will something "break" the links made? The files themselves are seemingly [CMIIAW] not moved from where they were, you just set up a link to them in their share/gallery or /user/gallery location. Where is that "link" file, and does it need to be moved, or could we copy it and share it, so that all others need to do is to move the folder into the user/gallery or share/gallery location, add a little file, and they have all these files available.

Peter
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Can we get some clear, numbered steps on how to do this (either here and I'll migrate then, or directly in the wiki)?

I'm not sure I followed all the details, and I don't have time at the moment to try things myself....

As for preserving things, the patch installers--and I think the full version installers, too, but we'll have to wait for Patrick to come back--are designed to preserve user-added items within the NeoOffice.app bundle (so long as you don't delete the NeoOffice.app); similarly, as long as you don't delete your preferences folder, anything in the user/ hierarchy in there will stick around.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Orgleser wrote:
Correct?

In theory, this should be possible. But do we want to get in the business of shipping all sorts of Clip Art with NeoOffice? I vote no. We can always add to the knowledge base at the Wiki the location of known good OpenClipArt sites.
James

I agree with James about Not shipping / providing Clip Art with NeoOffice.
Adding links to the Wiki about good clipart sites would be best. Plus instructions on how users add "New Themes". That way we don't add the overhead of storing the files, legal considerations, and who-knows-what other problems. Shocked
I'm glad that I was able to suggest using the PNG images hidden within http://OpenClipArt.org.

I have been looking for more FREE sources of Templates and ClipArt and found the following sites.

700 FREE PowerPoint Templates (and cool jpegs) http://www.powerbacks.com.
I really like the Business, Creative, Holidays and Inspire template sets.

FREE OOo Label templates http://www.worldlabel.com/Pages/openoffice-template.htm
Quote:
Download for free Blank label templates in .stw or .ott file format for Openoffice.org 1.1x and 2.0 version for Writer. Templates include CD and DVD. Avery® cross reference, a large selection of both square cornered and round cornernered labels for mailing, shipping and many other labeling uses. Oval and round labels templates. VHS, Diskette Templates and more. Ooo Writer labels templates will work on Openoffice.org program installed on Linux and other OS including Windows. These documents are: Public Document License

All these plus the OOo-all-templates fit neatly on a CD-RW (about 400 MBs Very Happy ). If you need more pictures and templates than all these - well you must really like ... art?!?

I found these by checking the OOo site http://documentation.openoffice.org/Samples_Templates/index.html and doing Google searches for OOo templates. Then checking out the sites that had some sort of "Public Document License".

Today I got an email from Dover Publications http://www.doverpublications.com. They offer Free clipart samples via email - for personal use only. Dover publishes some of the best clipart books and images available.

Philip (Ohhh, look at the pretty pictures!!! Wink )
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject:

Well, seems as if the clipart-shortage is about to be solved. The steps are roughly noted in one of my previous posts. I try to review them here with numbers for the WIKI. I ask one of our english members to have a look at it, if one or more expressions are not correct (I am german and translate everything). The following is thought to be placed in the WIKI below the clipart-links.

"1. Download the clipart of your choice from one of the links noted above. Please respect the rules of usage named by the respective sites.

Do the following steps for each thematic collection of cliparts you want to differ in Neo (perhaps you have to search and rearrange the downloaded clipart for this).

2. "Copy" the respective folder of new clipart in MacOS Xs finder
3. Ctrl-click "NeoOffice" in the "Applications" folder, and select "show contents"
3. Go to Applications/Neo/contents/share/gallery or Applications/Neo/Contents/user/gallery and add the copied folder here.
3a. You might eventually want to strip any formats not needed from that folder now: Open the folder, select "list view" in finder, click the "format"-rider so that the files appear in order of their format and delete the formats you do not need(**someone please add a list of supported formats here**), do the same for eventuall subfolders , don't forget to empty trash afterwards.
4. Start NeoOffice
5. Click the gallery-button
6. Click "new theme" directly above the list of existing collections
7. Click "search files" in the window that has opened and search and select the clipart-folder you added (in: Applications/Neo/contents/share/gallery or Applications/Neo/Contents/user/gallery).
8. When the folder is highlighted, click "select".
9. Click to the left rider and add a Name to your New theme.
10. When everything works, you can delete the originally downloaded folders.
If you forgot to give the new theme a name, it shows up as New Theme in the gallery. Just highlight that name, ctrl-click and you can rename it.

And now ... have fun with the new clipart!"
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject:

Suggestion: Smokey, wouldn't it be good to give the clipart thing a Wikipage of its own?
T.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Well, seems as if the clipart-shortage is about to be solved. The steps are roughly noted in one of my previous posts. I try to review them here with numbers for the WIKI. I ask one of our english members to have a look at it, if one or more expressions are not correct (I am german and translate everything).

Never give an opening like that to an old English teacher, T! Wink

Seriously, if English is not your first language, you do a fantastic job using it. Thanks for doing this. I could never do anything like this in my second language [Italian], and I am always embarrassed at the multilingualism of so many Europeans: so many native English speakers are so monolingual Embarassed

Having said that, as an old English teacher, I have aimed to just smooth out a few wrinkles in the language. I also changed the order of one step [getting rid of un-needed files]: see what you think. However, even English varies around the world, and some of my Aussie-talk may not make sense elsewhere: do others call those [gallery symbol] things "drawing pins"?

Lastly, the issue of "When can you change the name of the theme?" I can't find a place in the process to name the New Theme, other than control-clicking after it's been created. Others feel free to jump in here, or anywhere else.

So here's v.2 of T's instructions:

"1. Download the clipart of your choice from one of the links noted above. Please respect the rules of usage named by the respective sites.

1a You might want to strip any formats not needed from that folder now: to do so, "Open" the folder, select "list view" in finder, click the "Kind" heading so that the files appear in order of their format [eg .jpg, .png, ,svg filetypes] and delete the formats you do not need(the list of supported formats is: *.bmp;*.dxf;*.emf;*.eps;*.gif;*.jpg;*.jpeg;*.jfif;*.jif;*.met;*.pbm;
*.pcd;*.pct;*.pcx;*.pgm;*.png;*.ppm;*.psd;*.ras;*.sgf;*.sgv;*.svm;
*.tga;*.tif;*.tiff;*.wmf;*.xbm;*.xpm;*.wav;*.aif;*.au). Do the same for any subfolders within those folders, and don't forget to empty trash afterwards.

Then, do the following steps for each thematic collection of clipart you want to set up in Neo (you may have to search through, and rearrange, your downloaded clipart for this):

2. "Copy" the required folder of new clipart in your MacOS X finder.
3. Ctrl-click "NeoOffice" in the "Applications" folder, and select "Show Package Contents"
3. Go to Applications/Neo/Contents/share/gallery or Applications/Neo/Contents/user/gallery and add the copied folder there.
4. Start NeoOffice.
5. Click the gallery-button [top-left, looks like a drawing-pin].
6. Click "New Theme" directly above the list of existing collections [again, top left]
7. Click "Search Files" in the window that has opened, search for and select the clipart-folder you added (in: Applications/Neo/contents/share/gallery or Applications/Neo/Contents/user/gallery).
8. When the folder is highlighted, click "Select".
9. Click "Add All" to add all the files showing in your list to the new theme.
10. Click OK, and add a Name to your New theme. Your newly-added collection shows up as "New Theme" in the gallery list [the list below the New Theme button]. Just highlight that name, ctrl-click and and you can rename it. You may want to give it a name which reminds you where it came from eg "Animals_oca_collection" or "Animals_aa42"
11. When everything works, you can delete the originally downloaded folders.

And now ... have fun with the new clipart!"

Cheers
Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Drawing pins

Forget drawing pins. Let's go back to T's "Click on the "Gallery" button in your menu bar" Should do it, unless your menu bar goes over the page, like mine!
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject:

Peter, thanks for your corrections. I suggest we follow Peters version (as I do not have a english version of Neo as well as of OS X running, I need such corrections even more). Again it shows: together we re strong Wink
T.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Strength in Working Together

I couldn't agree more, T. Very Happy

Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Can we get some clear, numbered steps on how to do this (either here and I'll migrate then, or directly in the wiki)?

I'm not sure I followed all the details, and I don't have time at the moment to try things myself....
Smokey

Can someone/s please try the instructions provided by T, as amended by me, to see whether they are clear enough for others to follow? Then Smokey can migrate them to the wiki.

PS Should this thread be moved to /Support or /Development now, given we have worked through from initial query to solution? Just a humble suggestion. Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4