Clipart ??

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:
sardisson wrote:
Can we get some clear, numbered steps on how to do this (either here and I'll migrate then, or directly in the wiki)?

I'm not sure I followed all the details, and I don't have time at the moment to try things myself....
Smokey

Can someone/s please try the instructions provided by T, as amended by me, to see whether they are clear enough for others to follow? Then Smokey can migrate them to the wiki.

1. I can't copy the folders into the contents (using PathFinder). It looks like I don't have the right permissions. I'll test Mac Finder next.

2. Are we sure we want to place these folder IN the "NeoOffice application"?
2.1 What happens when we update the application, Delete the application, or such?
2.2 Shouldn't these go into the /User directory instead??

Philip (Now look at the mess I'm in - patching application contents Wink )
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:

About an hour of lazy work to get them all across [this is the openclipart-0.18-full collection of nearly 7000 images from http://www.openclipart.org/ . I notice version 0.19 is either out or about to be out. ]. Easy. I noted that the program just ignores the .svg and .txt files in the folders, so presumably you/we/someone could delete these from the folders, and save a fair amount of space, as suggested by T. above.
Peter

I'm building a New Theme now and found that you don't have to ADD them one at a time. Just select the top level folder and Find.
After they are all found, Select ALL (it takes a while if there are a lot of items) then ADD (taking more time...)
If the Files and Folders are well named then you can see what they are in the Gallery. You don't have delete the extra files if they are in your /User folder (assuming that you have enough disk space Wink

Philip (too - many - graphics - over 8500! Rolling Eyes )
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
1. I can't copy the folders into the contents (using PathFinder). It looks like I don't have the right permissions. I'll test Mac Finder next.

Should work with OS Xs Finder

Quote:

2. Are we sure we want to place these folder IN the "NeoOffice application"?
2.1 What happens when we update the application, Delete the application, or such?
2.2 Shouldn't these go into the /User directory instead??

Philip (Now look at the mess I'm in - patching application contents Wink )

Good Point. But the places I noted are where Neo usually has the gallerys. Dont know if it can handle them elsewhere. Such: My opinion: Who isn't sure about reinstalls and thelike could keep a copy of the clipart somewhere.

Thomas
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:
Orgleser wrote:
Well, seems as if the clipart-shortage is about to be solved. The steps are roughly noted in one of my previous posts.

So here's v.2 of T's instructions:

"1. Download the clipart of your choice from one of the links noted above. Please respect the rules of usage named by the respective sites.

<note>1a You might want to strip any formats not needed from that folder now: to do so, "Open" the folder, select "list view" in finder, click the "Kind" heading so that the files appear in order of their format [eg .jpg, .png, ,svg filetypes] and delete the formats you do not need(the list of supported formats is: *.bmp;*.dxf;*.emf; *.eps; *.gif;*.jpg; *.jpeg; *.jfif;*.jif;*.met;*.pbm; *.pcd;*.pct;*.pcx; *.pgm; *.png; *.ppm; *.psd;*.ras; *.sgf;*.sgv;*.svm; *.tga; *.tif;*.tiff; *.wmf;*.xbm;*.xpm; *.wav;*.aif;*.au).
Do the same for any subfolders within those folders, and don't forget to empty trash afterwards.
</note>

Then, do the following steps for each thematic collection of clipart you want to set up in Neo (you may have to search through, and rearrange, your downloaded clipart for this):

2. "Copy" the required folder of new clipart in your MacOS X finder.
<replace>
3. Ctrl-click "NeoOffice" in the "Applications" folder, and select "Show Package Contents"
3. Go to Applications/Neo/Contents/share/gallery or Applications/Neo/Contents/user/gallery and add the copied folder there.

</replace>

4. Start NeoOffice.
5. Click the gallery-button [top-left, looks like a drawing-pin].
6. Click "New Theme" directly above the list of existing collections [again, top left]
7. Click "Search Files" in the window that has opened, search for and select the clipart-folder you added
<replace>
(in: Applications/Neo/contents/share/gallery or Applications/Neo/Contents/user/gallery).
</replace>

8. When the folder is highlighted, click "Select".
9. Click "Add All" to add all the files showing in your list to the new theme.
10. Click OK, and add a Name to your New theme. Your newly-added collection shows up as "New Theme" in the gallery list [the list below the New Theme button]. Just highlight that name, ctrl-click and and you can rename it.
You may want to give it a name which reminds you where it came from eg "Animals_oca_collection" or "Animals_aa42"
<skip>
11. When everything works, you can delete the originally downloaded folders.
</skip>

Cheers Peter

I replaced step 3 by creating a folder in ~/user/documents/ called OOo/Clipart/ You should create a sub-folder for each sub-theme...

I replaced step 7 by selecting the clipart-folder I added.

Skipped step 11 because the folder was Moved to my /Users/Documents folder. Other items (SVG, templates, etc ) can stay there for use by other programs/purposes (435 MBs, almost 25,000 items). BIG GRIN!

IT WORKS!

I selected the top folder and added all the art in the same New Theme. I'll break them down into sub-folders after a more practice/testing.

and let's move this thread? /Support maybe??

Philip (taking way to much time on the computer - pretty pictures Wink )
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject:

Such we could modify the steps as follows:
(Based on Peters Version)
"1. Download the clipart of your choice from one of the links noted above. Please respect the rules of usage named by the respective sites.

1a If NeoOffice is the only software you want to use the clipart with, you might want to strip any formats not needed from that folder now: to do so, "Open" the folder, select "list view" in finder, click the "Kind" heading so that the files appear in order of their format [eg .jpg, .png, ,svg filetypes] and delete the formats you do not need
(formats supported by NeoOffice are: *.bmp;*.dxf;*.emf; *.eps; *.gif;*.jpg; *.jpeg; *.jfif;*.jif;*.met;*.pbm; *.pcd;*.pct;*.pcx; *.pgm; *.png; *.ppm; *.psd;*.ras; *.sgf;*.sgv;*.svm; *.tga; *.tif;*.tiff; *.wmf;*.xbm;*.xpm; *.wav;*.aif;*.au).
Do the same for any subfolders within those folders, and don't forget to empty trash afterwards.

Then, do the following steps for each thematic collection of clipart you want to set up in NeoOffice (you may have to search through, and rearrange, your downloaded clipart for this):

2. Put the clipart to a place of your choice. E.g.: Your User/Documents folder (keeps the clipart easily available for other uses than with NeoOffice) or if you want them integrated into your NeoOffice installation Applications/Neo/Contents/share/gallery or Applications/Neo/Contents/user/gallery.
3. Start NeoOffice.
4. Click the gallery-button [top-left, looks like a drawing-pin].
5. Click "New Theme" directly above the list of existing collections [again, top left]
6. Click "General" in the upper left of the window that opened and add a Name for your theme (e.g. Buildings, if you add building cliparts).
7. Click "Files"
8. Click "Search Files" search for and select the clipart-folder you want to add to NeoOffice. When the correct folder is highlighted, click "Select".
9. Click "Add All" to add all the files showing in your list to the new theme.

If you want to change a themes name later on, just ctrl-click a theme from the list of themes and you can rename it.
You may want to give it a name which reminds you where it came from e.g. "Animals_oca_collection" or "Animals_aa42"

Changed in some parts, the part of name giving too,
is it ok that way?
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject:

<edit>OK T, did you change your message while I was ... composing my response?!?
I think I'm losing it!!!! Embarassed I would swear that you said Confused
"Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Philip, can you have a look into your Applications/NeoOffice/Content/share/gallery and Applications/NeoOffice/Content/user/gallery folders and see if there are copies of the clipart you added?
T."</edit>

<edit 2> Looks Good to me.
But then I think you are sending me "hidden" messages?" Rolling Eyes
Philip (going to sleep now - pretty images dancing in my head Wink )
</edit 2>

T. (Good Morning Wink )

Here's my folders

Applications/NeoOffice/Content/share/gallery
/bullets
/htmlexpo
/rulers
/sounds
/www-back
/www-graf
apples.gif
sky.gif

Owner:root(0) Group:admin(80)
Permissions:r-x r-x r-x (no write permission)
(this is where I tried to Copy/Move folders/files)
Applications/NeoOffice/Content/user/gallery
sg30.sdv
sg30.thm
sg100.sdv
sg100.thm

all the clipart (8000+) items are currently in my "New Theme" Gallery
/Users/philip/Documents/OOo Folder/_Clipart & Templates 435.6 MB, 24,945 items
/free_business
/free_creative
/free_tech
/OOo-all_templates
/openclipart-0.18-full
/PowerBacks-Presentations
/WL-USA-a5-sizes-OOolabels

Philip Wink
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject:

Philip, I did change it, you are correct. After I posted the deleted one I thought "hey I can check that myself" and did it. The next logical step was to leave all the "copy into folder" stuff away. I was not aware someone could reply to my original message that fast.
Sorry
T.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject:

OK, I just followed Thomas's instructions from two posts above and got a new Gallery Theme full of ancient Corel clipart I had lying around[*]. They seem to work well.

I think the suggestion to put the actual graphics somewhere else is probably a good one; you can put the graphics in a shared/commonly-accessible location on a shared Mac (or even network, I presume), but each user will stll have to create the Themes him/herself (they'd have to do this anyway if we put the files inside the app bundle, unless someone develops a way of creating a whole shippable Theme).

So,

1) I'm going to move this topic to Support, as suggested...we have a working solution now and it deserves to be more accessible;

2) Migrate the instructions into the wiki; and

3) Split the Templates and Clipart section into their own page (but continue to reference the new page on the Styles page).

Isn't the community wonderful! Great work, y'all! Very Happy

Smokey

[*] For once, Neo correctly handled graphic files without extensions--these are good ol vector PICT files from the early 90s, no extensions--even though inserting an image via the Insert:Graphics:From File… menu/dialogue requires the extension or the graphic will be imported as text!

sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject:

As someone noted in the "openclipart" thread in "random whatnot" the openclipart gallery has moved. The link in the wiki does not seem to work any longer.
Smokey, do you add to the wiki the links James (and possibly others) did provide in the current thread (see above)?
T.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject:

Oh and thank you for collecting all our stuff in wiki, Smokey!!
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
As someone noted in the "openclipart" thread in "random whatnot" the openclipart gallery has moved. The link in the wiki does not seem to work any longer.
Smokey, do you add to the wiki the links James (and possibly others) did provide in the current thread (see above)?
T.

That seems to happen periodically, usually around the release of a new version of the library Sad

I'll add the link to the tarball mirror, though, at least for now.

Thanks, all, for getting this info together!

Oh, the link: http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Using_Clipart (linked from Tips and Hints and the Editing Default Styles article)

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Oh, the link: http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Using_Clipart (linked from Tips and Hints and the Editing Default Styles article)

Nice :8. Kudos to all of you for sorting this out and making life easier for all of the people out there in ned of eye candy. Making it look good is one step beyond making it work, but for a ot of end users it is just as much a requirement.

Best wishes,
Oscar

aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
[Oh, the link: http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Using_Clipart (linked from Tips and Hints and the Editing Default Styles article)

Smokey

thanks, Smokey. A neat piece of tidying up of our contributions! A fruitful weekend all round Smile

I need to point out that the reference to the openclipart library further up the page says "(must be converted from SVG into another vector format or a bitmap format first)", which is now at odds with our encouragement further down the page for people to get hold of this excellent resource because of its PNG files Very Happy

Oh, and was it just me bristling at reference to this as "eye candy"? I think this is much more useful than mere eye candy. Laughing People who want a comprehensive office suite need a useful collection of graphics, as a *fundamental tool*, and the openclipart collection provides it, when added to the base OpenOffice.org collection, which is very basic. To illustrate, I bought the excellent Swift Publisher recently, as a DTP program. It's only about 25-30 USD, but it comes with over 20,000 graphics if you get it on CD - yet there are still times when I can't find quite what I need. I'm not suggesting that NeoOffice try to compete in DTP, but for many people it will fill that need.

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

EXACTLY, non-developers, non-geeks, casual users and Joe Sixpack seems to be OK with occasional bugs if it looks good and is "easy" to use, and FAST... That's the point I was trying to get across druing the version 0.7 window coloring fill discussion (debate?)a while ago in here. Since Pat and the crew added native Aqua menus, closer matching window color greys and modern icons, all is forgiven! Laughing /seriously though
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:
I need to point out that the reference to the openclipart library further up the page says "(must be converted from SVG into another vector format or a bitmap format first)", which is now at odds with our encouragement further down the page for people to get hold of this excellent resource because of its PNG files Very Happy

Oops Embarassed I had just copied and pasted that section over from the other page, and it hadn't updated since everyone filled me in that the PNGs are available in the download but not when browsing the site.... That's fixed now. Wink

There are still a few more things that need to be cleaned up/polished there, but it should be good enough if need be.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4