· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Templates
Templates

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaySnow
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Templates

I was just asking my friend if he had a brochure template that I could use. He sid he did, but it was a Microsoft template; I said that was fine because NeoOffice can open Microsoft documents (which has turned out to be very usefull—thaks a lot for being so great, Patrick). It turned out that he couldn't find the template, so he directed me to the Microsoft website where you can download templates for free. The site detected that I don't have any Microsoft stuff (the OS, Word, all that stuff), so it wouldn't allow the download. I was just wondering if NeoOffice has some sort of site like Microsoft has; can I download any templates from NeoOffice.org?

Thanks a lot,
Jay[/i]
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject:

We don't have any templates at neooffice.org, but if you search Google or other search engines for OpenOffice templates, you might have some luck. Since NeoOffice is really just a native Mac version of OpenOffice, any OpenOffice.org templates should work in NeoOffice.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject:

At the very bottom of this wiki article there is a list of a few sites we know of with OOo templates.

If anyone knows of/finds more, please add them (eventually it would be nice to make that its own article, since it is a common question, but for now there's just not enough....)

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Most people really don't want to admit it, but really, templates and clip art are the unsung heroes of MS Office and iWork. Not everyone can come up with a great picture of a scientist stumbling upon their great idea to put in the background of that oh so important slide. It's a double-edged sword, though, since once you see enough presentations it's easy to pick out the MS templates and clip art.

Sometimes original stands out more Smile

ed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Most people really don't want to admit it, but really, templates and clip art are the unsung heroes of MS Office and iWork. Not everyone can come up with a great picture of a scientist stumbling upon their great idea to put in the background of that oh so important slide. It's a double-edged sword, though, since once you see enough presentations it's easy to pick out the MS templates and clip art.

Sometimes original stands out more Smile

ed

That's because they (MS templates/clip art) look bloody awful! Razz
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject:

I have been using Sun StarOffice 6.0 templates since I moved over to Mac & NeoOffice. There are a fair number of them. Personally I do not really use them that often but if somebody could investigate whether (for licensing reasons) they could be made publicly available for NeoOffice I would be more than happy to provide a set.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: No

You can't take files from a proprietary product and just give them out. You don't have copyright ownership.
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject:

That is precisely why I ask Patrick and Ed who are more familiar with the licence issues, particularly when it comes to the relationship between Sun - OpenOffice - NeoOffice.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:

as far as I remember (but I might be wrong) these files are not included into OOo because SUN has copyright issues with them (might be third party files, the copyright of wich does not belong to SUN, but wich are only licensed for STAR OFFICE). Please search the OOo homepage for this.
T.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
as far as I remember (but I might be wrong) these files are not included into OOo because SUN has copyright issues with them (might be third party files, the copyright of wich does not belong to SUN, but wich are only licensed for STAR OFFICE). Please search the OOo homepage for this.

Actually, StarOffice is a commercial product. Sun may have paid for those templates and thus is obligated to keep them in that product only. Also, the templates may not be subject to either the GPL or LGPL.
Also, StarOffice is a program produced by Sun. OpenOffice.org (although supported by Sun) is not. Some Sun employees enjoy working for Sun and on the OpenOffice.org project while on company time. Some do not (boy did I learn that lesson the hard way.)

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject:

The copyright issues with StarOffice include the templates and clip art, as mentioned above, WordPerfect filters, and additionally the dictionaries used in the spelling checker (and the spelling checker library...that's why Kevin H. wrote MySpell for OOo). I think that's the majority of the third-party stuff in SO that wasn't part of the original. It's been replaced over time with open components by the community, but the clip art and templates have definitely lagged behind.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The copyright issues with StarOffice include the [...] WordPerfect filters

StarOffice ships with proprietary filters that open about 20x the formats that OOo does--but the evil thing is, some places on the OOo website list the full list of SO filters as included in OOo, never noting that those only ship in SO Evil or Very Mad (I discovered this when working on the NeoOffice File Formats page in the wiki.)

Fridrich has said on occasion that his ultimate goal is to completely replace the set of filters that ship with SO...but that's a mighty undertaking. I'm just happy he started with helping Marc and William with the WordPerfect filters Wink

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject:

For those who are interested in some more free templates:

Worldlabel Products: http://www.worldlabel.com/Pages/openoffice-template.htm
European CV templates in 25 languages: http://europass.cedefop.eu.int/europass/home/hornav/Downloads/EuropassCV/CVTemplate/navigate.action
Employee Scheduler: http://www.softforall.com/BusinessFinance/Applications/Employee_Scheduler_for_Excel_and_OpenOffice02010587.htm
Example Macros: http://www.squirrel.nl/people/jvromans/OOo/examples.html
Word Automation: http://www.wordautomation.com/openoffice_templates.html
A collection of links to German templates (Vorlagen): http://www.celtic-cousins.com/openofficefilofax/index.html

Last edited by Glenner on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject:

Should such a list of template-(and thelike) links be put to the wiki or elsewhere? (with the possibility of expanding that by occasion)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Should such a list of template-(and thelike) links be put to the wiki or elsewhere? (with the possibility of expanding that by occasion)

For the moment, I've been collecting links to template sources at the bottom of the Editing Default Styles page in the wiki.

At some point when we have a critical mass of links, they should move to their own article.

Glenner, thanks for these new links!

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4