Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
The topic "templates" sounds, as if this could be interessting too. perhaps we should add another template-contest, first price could be a beer Very Happy
Greetz, T.

You supplying? I want a Douplebock (sp). I loved the question:

Pils oder Export, bitte?

James
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:

Very Happy
What about "Hefeweizen"?
Ok I'll bring one "Kasten"
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:

Ahh, that's the one thing I am missing!
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Very Happy
What about "Hefeweizen"?
Ok I'll bring one "Kasten"

I can get that here (we have a local microbrewery that makes a real good one, if you can get it.)

However, this is a good project to get going on, regardless of the reward, be it a little adult beverage or the admiration of your peers.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Hrm....a little Warsteiner can go a long way...

ed

(watching babylon 5 and building new server)
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
(watching babylon 5 and building new server)

That is a dangerous combination Laughing

Actually, I'm moving the code base to 2.0.2rc1 right now. No need for a patch of stlport (the gcc 3.3 regression error is now gone.) berkeleydb died for some reason, but a second build worked just fine (don't ask me, I think that the Env.Set file did not 'take' properly.)

Anyway, enjoying the sunshine and yes folks we did get 'some' rain, more in some places than others. Only about two inches of rain short this Winter. The place is a tinderbox right now (not the computer, the outside.) Just waiting for more. Hopefully, we will have a wetter than usual Summer.

James
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Ed, when will you be in germany next time Very Happy

Seriously thought: The idea of making contests has a charme of its own. But a contest of templates would be situated in OOo better than here. The results would be useful for Neo too, and OOo has the larger community. (I am not sure wheter I stated this elsewhere in the fora - please excuse eventuall repetitions). Perhaps after the german OOo template contest (link see above in this thread) has run and we see the hopefully good results, we should ask OOo for template contests in other languages, too.
T.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject:

Found another source of german templates here:http://www.office-center-epj.de/. Things seem to look very good here at first glance.
In my opinion meanwhile the template shortage is VERY reduced, at least for german language. There is the so called "PrOOo-box" of the german OOo project http://prooo-box.org/index.html, including complete installs of OOo for several OSs as well as clipart, templates and more (about 663 MB), I only found a possibility to dl the whole thing in one ISO, going to have a look at it laterm when dl is finished. But that might be state of OOo 2.0.x now.

Random thought: a little research has - as it seems - solved two shortages of Neo in the last few weeks: templates and clipart. (BTW: The main sources are available via OOo). What do we do next? Perhaps some of us should search the enhancement-possibilities of OOo and give the respective links to Neos wiki (if there are further -and I think there are), to have them in near reach for Neo users.
T.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject:

PrOOo-box seemed not to have much more templates than is found under the german wiki links (I only was able to have a short glance). It adds a few english templates - but I think they can be found using our wiki-links too.
There is a version of opencliparts gallery and some (900+) others, that seem to come from XLibrary (but I did not find a link).
T
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:

Also, there is an open enhancement idea in bugzilla to try and include some extra templates in the Neo distro from some of the other projects that are doing GPL/FDL etc. templates.

One thing that makes Pages so user friendly (though I've never used it myself so it's all secondhand...) is the set of rich templates that come with it. They look quite professional from the screenshots I've seen and, if it's easy to fill with content, it makes for a very quick way to make impressive documents. Keynote (which I have used) is very similar. Near anyone can recognize a PowerPoint template straight off the bat (provided they're either a PowerPoint user or have sat through many PowerPoint presentations) just since so many people use them. Throw in a keynote template with a nice parchment background or the like and people actually are more visually interested in the presentation and think it has better content than it really does Wink

ed
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Also, there is an open enhancement idea in bugzilla to try and include some extra templates in the Neo distro from some of the other projects that are doing GPL/FDL etc. templates.

Instead of integrating into a distro, we could just add the respective links to the wiki?
Saving dl space and who wants it can get it easy?
Regards
T.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:

The only reason I can think of for adding clip art and templates straight into the distro is that it really increases the utility of the software, especially for new users. Think about a new PowerPoint user, for instance. The first thing they'll do is go into the Project Wizard (or the like), choose a template they find visually appealing, and then start adding in the information. It can seem really bogus when going through the template list in the default OOo/Neo distro and seeing an empty list :/

Putting templates and clip art into the distro improves the overall "polish" of the software and, IMHO, also increases its utility. Of course this doesn't mean that we need to throw in the kitchen sink, just a good set of default templates and clip art. Part of the issue is deciding what's solid enough that it should be included to whet peoples' whistles and then provide links to other sets online.

ed
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject:

As long as I must not add it Very Happy. Fully agreed. I ll work myself (rather slowly but I ll do) through the german templates and try to see what is good and useful. How much would we need in your opinion, Ed? What do the others think? Or-should we talk about this in the respective bugzilla issue?
T.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Offhand, I'd think that 10 templates or the like for each component would be enough. Another option would be to perhaps not put them in the distro, but create a secondary "enhancement pack" installer that gets downloaded separately which then adds in clip art and templates. That might actually be the best of both worlds.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4