Templates

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Peter,

Although I am not willing to integrate the clipart and templates into the NeoOffice installer, I will be happy to put links on the NeoOffice download site that point to whatever site you eventually use to release.

Also, note that while the NeoOffice installer scripts are GPL, you can copy the GPL scripts into your installer without having to make your product GPL. This is because the the files that you will be installing have no dependency on the installer scripts. The fact that a GPL shell script unzips a zip or tar file does not make the contents of the zip or tar file GPL.

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Licences and Risk, Servers and all that

aussie149 wrote:
Hi Patrick

Thanks for outlining the issues so cogently. Smile It was important that we knew where we were headed with this.

Personally, I have the time and the inclination to put into developing a collection. I'm also following up on, and educating myself about the copyright and licence issues.

So far, I have restricted my collecting quite deliberately to a very small number of collections, which have clear and unequivocal public domain clearance. I have dropped some nice images because they contain recognisable individuals [the Apollo 11 team shot is one instance] and we don't have model clearance. Likewise, I 've dropped a Macdonald's arch image.

<snip>

Personally, I think a package of 1500 covers many more uses than 500. 200 is just frustration: you'll never have the image you need, and you'll end up looking for another collection anyway, which is where this all started. I can spend time getting a package of 1500-2000 together: that's not a big problem, provided we can agree on format [probably png and jpg, following discussion on the other relevant site here ] Once that is done, we can look at editing that down to 500. We can then decide - do we want to host two packages or one, and how/where?

Peter

I would like to see interested folks continue working an a medium package of 1500-2000 items, and then edit that to less than 1000 items for a small package. Once that is done, then issues about hosting, installer, Wiki links and such can be resolved.
I AGREE with Patrick that this is not something that should be covered under the basic NeoOffice services and/or installer.

If this is a good option, maybe it would draw the attention of OOo?
Makes one wonder why OOo is not hosting something like this - instead of providing links to other resources?!? Confused Is that a ... hint?

I find that the best projects are the ones that individuals develop to solve a personal need and/or desire. Look how NeoIconer has grown. We want a "good" basic Clipart selection - let's solve that desire and see what happen next?

Philip (can't code or fund(much) - but I can look at pictures! Wink )
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Well, if I understand everything correctly, we keep going. Nice thing, folks Wink. I ll give my eyes and brains and time as far as I can.
I love these fora Very Happy
T.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Star Office

Thanks to Patrick, Philip and Thomas. Like you, T., I love these fora. The sense of optimism and can-do pervades. That is, people don't immediately assume that because something hasn't been done, it therefore can't be done.

Yes, i'm being talked down from 1500 gradually Wink. I am sure the server download problem is a very real one [thanks to Patrick for pointing that out].

Q from Philip: Is this something we can do for OpenOffice.org? You betchya it is! I decided to look at what Star Office does in terms of a gallery, and I was surprised 'Surprised'. It has a fairly basic set, not a lot more than NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org. It has some jpg's [mainly nature pics], and a set of clipart which seems consistent, so may have been commissioned. But gee it's not very impressive. To be fair, it's probably been designed to give the max images for minimum kb's. I don't boast that we could do better with our open source material, but ...

So, I agree, Thomas and Philip, let's keep going. I will try to get a set of png's up, for you to critique and edit down under 1000 as a new target point.

I think we should have some famous art there. Maybe 30, given our new restrictions on numbers of images. Any suggestions as to images that must be in the collection? Hint: to avoid copyright problems, start with paintings before 1920.

I'm very happy with this direction. And thanks for the encouragement to us, Patrick.

Peter Very Happy
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject:

Interesting Impress templates here : http://thelinuxbox.org/?p=24
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
Interesting Impress templates here : http://thelinuxbox.org/?p=24

thanks val1984. This person deserves lots of encouragement. Attractive and neat templates. Have a look at his artwork page. Sean appears to have some serious talent. Smile

Peter
PS if you are tempted to download his package of what he calls 6760 fonts, guess what: it contains 6760 fonts!! 160mB. Some good ones, too. Thanks again, Val. Maybe we could get Sean working on a new set of icons and templates for OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice 2?
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: More templates

While we are back on the templates topic, this chap Sean Parson's templates also feature quite prominently on the kde-files.org OpenOffice pages.

Peter
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4