· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Traveling Tabs
Traveling Tabs

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neofuddled
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Traveling Tabs

I received a Word document that I converted to .sxw for editing. I know nothing whatever about Word. In this document, the tabs behave strangely (perhaps having imbibed too much German beer?). When I edit the first sentence of a paragraph, the tab jumps back and forth (left and right) as I type. I don't know how to make it stop. When I finished editing the document, the tabs did not all line up equally. I cut the text and pasted special > unformatted but that did not stop the jumping tabs. I have looked in the Contents menu, in the various setting menus, and in the NeoWiki. Trouble is, I don't know what subject (other than "tabs") to look under to resolve the case of the traveling tabs.
neofuddled
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I admit this is a goofy issue, and maybe it hasn't happened to anyone before, and maybe it won't ever happen again. I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure it out (i.e. make it go away). I finally booted up my old OS 9 machine and translated the original .doc into WordPerfect and the tabs work fine (and reveal codes revealed nothing out of the ordinary). So if there ever is a next time, at least putting it into WP first is one way to solve the problem.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Neofuddled, I think it is not goofy ... I for myself just had no idea how to help. Thx for the workaround-tip.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Traveling Tabs

neofuddled wrote:
I received a Word document that I converted to .sxw for editing. I know nothing whatever about Word. In this document, the tabs behave strangely (perhaps having imbibed too much German beer?). When I edit the first sentence of a paragraph, the tab jumps back and forth (left and right) as I type. I don't know how to make it stop. When I finished editing the document, the tabs did not all line up equally. I cut the text and pasted special > unformatted but that did not stop the jumping tabs. I have looked in the Contents menu, in the various setting menus, and in the NeoWiki. Trouble is, I don't know what subject (other than "tabs") to look under to resolve the case of the traveling tabs.

Neobefuddled:

Can you create an Issue for this and upload the file? I would like to look at this.

James
neofuddled
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I don't know how to create an issue. If you mean Bugzilla, I tried to post there and it wants me to log in. But I am already logged in, so I got nowhere. Sorry.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:

neofuddled wrote:
I don't know how to create an issue. If you mean Bugzilla, I tried to post there and it wants me to log in. But I am already logged in, so I got nowhere. Sorry.

Neobefuddled:

The fora server at Trinity and the BugZilla are two different machines. You will have to create a second login so that you can post the issue.

James
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Neofuddled, and as there sometimes were problems with that, another hint for bugzilla might be useful: if the bugzilla registration mail does not arrive at the mail adress you put there, please have a look into your mailprogs spam folder ... (that hit me, too, when I created my bugzilla account)
T.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

i suspect that some of Word's "helpful" formatting stayed with the document.

If it is a document of just text, then if you copy all of it and do a 'paste special' as 'plain text' no formatting will follow the text.

I have to do this even in Word itself.

If there is charts and pictures and things, you may still try it, but the non text parts will not follow.

-j
neofuddled
Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

I filed a BugZilla report and learned that this is a known OpenOffice issue.

Paste special > unformatted text was the first thing I did. It did not work. However, I have just learned (thank you, Thomas) that if the unformatted text is pasted special into a new/blank document the tabs act normal.

Thanks to all.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Neofuddled, bugzilla does not say it is a KNOWN bug in Openoffice, it just is a bug there. Jake, as you reported this as a behavior of some MSWord -created documents known even within MSWord - does it make sense to file a bug in Openoffice (within NeoBugzilla its: http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1366, see there for an example document)?
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject:

Neofuddled, can you eliminate just the tabs by using IanNz's (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hillview/OOo/) search macro? There is also a nice little application (shareware) called Apimac Clean Text that lets you clean texts, emails etc from specific formatting items.
neofuddled
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject:

Glenner, thanks for the thought, but in a previous post I was warned that installing a macro is "not for the faint of heart," so I believe I will pass on that suggestion, at least until my heart becomes a little stouter.
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject:

It is not that difficult, but o.k. Come back if you would like more help after you have gathered full strength 'Laughing'
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1