NeoOffice :: View topic - Fonts
Fonts

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnp
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Fonts

New to NeoOffice ...

How do I gain access to all the fonts loaded on my Mac?

Without having to resort to Unix.

Thanks.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Neo provides access to all fonts that can be located using standard Mac OS font routines. If you have a font that is installed and is recognizable by FontBook and isn't seen by Neo, please inform.

Unless I'm mistaken, Neo will not access bitmap and other fonts installed in a Classic System Folder, similar to some other Mac OS X applications.

ed
Johnp
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:

All my other programs automatically recognize the fonts (all of my fonts) that are loaded. I don't recall having t provide a "path" to them.

Correction ... there are some types of fonts that specific programs do not.

In this case, there were only a few. I assume that they were resident to Neo.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Neo provides access to all fonts that can be located using standard Mac OS font routines. If you have a font that is installed and is recognizable by FontBook and isn't seen by Neo, please inform.

If they are available to the Font Book utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Font book) then NeoOffice should use them without a problem. If they are not available to Font Book, then NeoOffice cannot use them without either supplying a path to them or converting them into a format that your Mac can use.

OPENSTEP wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, Neo will not access bitmap and other fonts installed in a Classic System Folder, similar to some other Mac OS X applications.

You are correct.

James
Johnp
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:

If they are available to the Font Book utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Font book) then NeoOffice should use them without a problem.

All my fonts are available through the Font Book ... but not NeoOffice.

Why not?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:

Johnp wrote:
All my fonts are available through the Font Book ... but not NeoOffice.

Why not?

Hmmm. A couple of questions:

1. Have you restarted NeoOffice after installing the fonts? NeoOffice only looks for fonts when it first starts so installing fonts while NeoOffice is running will not be accessible.

2. Are the fonts marked as "disabled" in Font Book? If so, enable them and restart NeoOffice.

3. Are the fonts available in the Text Edit application? If so, try using one of the fonts. Does Text Edit actually use the font or does Text Edit automatically change the font to a different font?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

I can't speak to the bitmap fonts, but Neo recognizes the TrueType and PostScript fonts in my Classic folder just fine Wink

(This is one of the reasons my Neo launches are slower...I have so many fonts!)

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

pluby ...

1. NeoOffice has been restarted a number of times, but I have not gone through any installation process for fonts (I've assumed it would be there automatically as in all the other Mac apps).

2. All of a sudden, most all of the 147 fonts in my Font Book are now available in NeoOffice. Three are grayed out.

3. The fonts are now in the Text Edit App ... they showed up after about the 10th re-start of NeoOffice.

However .... NOW, as I scroll through the list of fonts ... the Text Edit App CRASHES! I stopped trying after the 6th crash.

What do you think?

Thanks.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

If it is crashing TextEdit, it sounds to me like your font may be a font that Mac OS X cannot handle properly.

What font are you using and where can we get this font from?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:

FYI, the Vivaldi font that ships with some versions of Microsoft Office is known to crash Mac OS X font routines (and apps that use them, like TextEdit, NeoOffice, or Font Book).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

So did the proverbial server reboot solve today's earlier hiccup?
eve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject:

my neooffice had problems with a font which wasn't ok.

after I checked all the fonts in the font book utility and removed the one which wasn't ok there where no more problems.

eve
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

eve wrote:
my neooffice had problems with a font which wasn't ok.

after I checked all the fonts in the font book utility and removed the one which wasn't ok there where no more problems.

eve

ditto - you MUST use Font Book to "Validate Fonts". Corrupted ones will cause problems with different applications that can't be resolved without correcting and/or deleting the damaged font.

Check out the NeoWiki Troubleshooting Tips for many helpful tips.

Hope these tips help.

Philip (Loving NeoOffice 2.OH! Alpha Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject:

A lot of times there are fonts that will crash FontBook and other applications, but the crashes won't happen until they're used. Neo has to run through all the fonts on startup to start getting metric information so hits these bogus fonts. It's similar to the zero length font crashes that occurred in OOo X11 on startup a few years back...the only real solution is to remove the offending fonts.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1