Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - finder icons: neo or Oo?
finder icons: neo or Oo?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: finder icons: neo or Oo?

What about give to the user the way to choose if use the standard Oo icons or the neooffice icons (for the finder)? The Oo 2.0 icons are nice, and actually the neooffice pop up menu for create a new document shows Oo icons, as the open/save dialog and the recovery window.
So except for the finder, all the neooffice icons inside the application are the Oo ones. I know people worked for those icons on neooffice 1.2, but I think it could be a cleaner and logical way to have Oo 2.o icons for the finder too.
What do you think?

Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

I will probably get totally slammed for this, but if you really want the OO icons in neo, you can do the following:

download the archive at http://www.toonetown.com/projects/downloads/NeoOffice_Icon_Change.zip

This archive contains the .icns files from the OO-X11 build, and a modified Info.plist. The commands I give should be run from within terminal.app, and assume that you have unarchived that file to your desktop, and that NeoOffice 2 Alpha is currently installed in /Applications. All these commands should be entered in as-is - on a single line.

Place the icons (which are in the archive in the "Resources" subdirectory) into your /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Resources directory
Code:
sudo cp ~/Desktop/NeoOffice_Icon_Change/Resources/*.icns /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Resources/

Back up your Info.plist file in your /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/ directory.
Code:
sudo cp /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Info.plist /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Info.plist.bu

Replace the new Info.plist file which remaps the icons
Code:
sudo cp ~/Desktop/NeoOffice_Icon_Change/Info.plist /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Info.plist

Touch the NeoOffice installation so that it knows that there are new icons now...
Code:
sudo touch /Applications/NeoOffice.app

Don't blame me if this completely breaks your NeoOffice installation - it works for me - YMMV.

If you already have the icon in your dock, or if you have already cached the file-type icons, then you might need to log off and log back in to have the changes take effect. This only changes the main NeoOffice icon (to the OOo one), and the filetype icons (to the OOo ones).

Hope this is useful for someone - and I hope I didn't cross a line doing this... Smile

-Nathan
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:

toonetown wrote:
Hope this is useful for someone - and I hope I didn't cross a line doing this... Smile

No, you did not cross a line. However, you should warn users that this will break after installation of a NeoOffice patch as the patches overwrite the Info.plist.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

i see the point, mainly in that there should be consistancy within the document. half of my docs have OO.o icons, half with neo and half with word.

and don't worry, we like instructions on how to do things here.=D
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
i see the point, mainly in that there should be consistancy within the document.

I think everyone here knows which direction I think we should go to achieve consistency in Neo's iconography.

jakeOSX wrote:
half of my docs have OO.o icons, half with neo and half with word.

That should tell you easily at-a-glance which app is going to open them Smile

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:

well, yeah... guess it does =) though usually i just drop them all into the neo icon on the dock.
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
However, you should warn users that this will break after installation of a NeoOffice patch as the patches overwrite the Info.plist.

OK - this will break after installation of a NeoOffice patch (and you'll need to follow the same steps again...but you might want to be careful just blindly replacing your Info.plist file - as the patch may have made changes to it.

jakeOSX wrote:

Wow - how do I set up my system so that I can have 150% as many documents as I started with??? Wink
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

toonetown wrote:
jakeOSX wrote:

Wow - how do I set up my system so that I can have 150% as many documents as I started with??? Wink

ninjas!

(or something like that)

Smokey

Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject:

thanks for the answer, I think the way you show to me is too complex (cause I install a lot of patch and test patch). Maybe it is only a my problem.
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject:

fabriziovenerandi wrote:
thanks for the answer, I think the way you show to me is too complex (cause I install a lot of patch and test patch). Maybe it is only a my problem.

You could instead rename toonetown's icons to match the names of the existing NeoOffice icons and replace them; that's relatively safe (no messing with the plist involved, and patches are unlikely to test or touch icons afaik).

Smokey

Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

OK - so I made a new archive.

You can get it from www.toonetown.com/projects/downloads/NeoOffice_Icon_Change2.zip

When you download it, unarchive it, and there is a folder called "Resources". Inside that folder are a bunch of images. Simply copy (and replace) the images from that folder into the folder in /Applications/NeoOffice/Contents/Resources

Those icons should be more resistant to patches...

-Nathan
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1