Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)
icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Duh

sardisson wrote:
Before and After (and see also the screenshot in the post above, for the larger icon).

Is it me or these two links link to the same file? Confused
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Duh

val1984 wrote:
sardisson wrote:
Before and After (and see also the screenshot in the post above, for the larger icon).

Is it me or these two links link to the same file? Confused

No, it's not you; it's me and my typos--or brain-dead copy/paste--again Embarassed
(What would I do without you? Smile apparently, make copy-paste errors in the wiki for Samwise to catch, that's what!)

The second one should be "toolbar3.png"; I've fixed the original post as well as the link in the "quoted" block above.

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Going back to the manual instructions...if the zip file being updated (the one on the Desktop in my instructions) is not being updated, I'm stumped Sad When you run the zip -r command, the Terminal should have several screens full of "updating: foo" lines; if that's not happening, either zip is busted, the source folder is empty, or you're running the zip command from the wrong folder (you need to be in the images folder inside "NeoOffice Toolbar & Preferences Icons 0.9").... Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head....

It does get updated with foo etc. - once I've changed the zip from read-only, that is - so it's in the right folder. Sigh...
Quote:
You can probably unzip the original Neo/Contents/share/config/images.zip (or a copy Wink) by double-clicking, then dropping the files from the new "images" subfolders into the appropriate place, and then re-zipping with the "Create Archive of..." and putting it back in Neo/Contents/share/config/ (I worry about the .DS_Store files messing up OOo, which is why I shipped .DS_Store-less folders and use that Terminal method (well, and it's much easier for development....)

This was what I tried next, and when I launched NeoOffice after rezipping with the new files in, all the icons came up as text-only. But I didn't try clearing out .DS_store files dirst, I was wondering what the before/after difference could be - I'll give it a go now and report back.

- padmavyuha
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject:

Nope - if I rezip the Images folder with the new files in, even if I strip out the .DS_Store and any thumbnails etc., it still fails in NeoOffice. Is there something different with the OSX zip routine? I used CleanArchiver to strip out the unwanted bits, and I assume it's using the standard OSX zip routine. The only other thing I can think of is that there's some difference in the relative path info saved or not saved between the original and new zip files?

- padmavyuha
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
It does get updated with foo etc. - once I've changed the zip from read-only, that is - so it's in the right folder. Sigh...

Oops. I should remember always to run my full set of instructions on a fresh Neo; I had fixed the write permissions on my copy so long ago that it seems I had forgotten that step.

So this means, I think, that the final step is failing (or zip is lying when it's doing the "update: foo" lines). Just to be sure, did you check the zip on the Desktop after this step, to see if the timestamp had been changed and/or unzipping to look for the icons?

yoxi wrote:
Nope - if I rezip the Images folder with the new files in, even if I strip out the .DS_Store and any thumbnails etc., it still fails in NeoOffice.

"Fails" being, in all cases where you haven't specified otherwise, that NeoOffice still shows the OOo icons, right? (I also have no idea how it could still fall back on the OOo icons, since we're "erasing" them from the image set that gets used by default....)

yoxi wrote:
Is there something different with the OSX zip routine? I used CleanArchiver to strip out the unwanted bits, and I assume it's using the standard OSX zip routine.

I have no idea on either of those. I do know that for my initial test, I successfully used the venerable ZipIt to open and save the zip, and that worked fine....

yoxi wrote:
The only other thing I can think of is that there's some difference in the relative path info saved or not saved between the original and new zip files?

That wouldn't explain the command-line failure, though, since "images" is equivalent of the root of the zip Sad

-a bewildered Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:54 am; edited 2 times in total
thomas@herzogonline.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject:

doctype wrote:
Startup:

Come on guys, you can't be earnest about this one.

See yourselves:

You can't do such a shameless rip-off of Microsofts graphics team without anyone noticing Wink
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
yoxi wrote:
As this generic icon gets applied to stuff like .csv that are text-based (does anyone know of any non-text-based doc types that use this icon?), maybe a more consistent solution would be an icon with the blue gradient but no ship? (I don't mean to rock the boat...)

It gets applied to all sorts of binary files, too--as well as to any file you save with Neo but remove the extension from--so we don't want to turn it into a "text-like" document; it needs to stay "generic".

Smokey

Shouldn't .csv be associated with the spreadsheet icon - not the generic one?
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:

toonetown wrote:
Shouldn't .csv be associated with the spreadsheet icon - not the generic one?

's right - that's how it was previously; it's just that all my .csv importing was done on a pc, and I'd forgotten what the assoc was there.

- padmavyuha
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
...So this means, I think, that the final step is failing (or zip is lying when it's doing the "update: foo" lines). Just to be sure, did you check the zip on the Desktop after this step, to see if the timestamp had been changed and/or unzipping to look for the icons?

I unzipped and checked, no new icons inside - then I copied them over manually via the Finder. Then I rezipped the Images folder stripping out the .DS_Store etc. but...
Quote:
"Fails" being, in all cases where you haven't specified otherwise, that NeoOffice still shows the OOo icons, right? (I also have no idea how it could still fall back on the OOo icons, since we're "erasing" them from the image set that gets used by default....)

No, 'fails' means that with the Default icon set selected (after editing Images.zip), NeoOffice didn't display ANY icons in the toolbar, just their text equivalents - the only icons showing were (perversely) the ones in the 'new doc' dropdown.

I give in - I'll just wait until you lads incorporate them into the beta release Smile

- padmavyuha
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject:

thomas@herzogonline.net wrote:
doctype wrote:
[new NeoOffice splash]

You can't do such a shameless rip-off of Microsofts graphics team without anyone noticing Wink

I'm guessing that NeoOffice icon came first.. right? (right?) It's been around for a while.

W
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
doctype wrote:
[new NeoOffice splash]

I'm guessing that NeoOffice icon came first.. right? (right?) It's been around for a while.

W

I also beleive that the NeoOffice logo (Ship in circle) has been around longer that the "current" MS Office Logo. Rolling Eyes
And it will probably change for Office 2007/8/9... again. and when did MS copyright logos in circles? Shocked

Philip (back in the Neo ...world Wink )

\ move along, nothting to see here
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
No, 'fails' means that with the Default icon set selected (after editing Images.zip), NeoOffice didn't display ANY icons in the toolbar, just their text equivalents - the only icons showing were (perversely) the ones in the 'new doc' dropdown.

I give in - I'll just wait until you lads incorporate them into the beta release Smile

Ouch Sad

Has anyone else tried to replace their toolbar icons? I'd like some reassurance that it working for me is not just a fluke Sad

As for the logo and splash, apps-in-globes icons date back to at least the early years of Mac OS X, and I doubt Microsoft has a monopoly on the use of reflection Razz Nothing new at all, and we all know that at Microsoft, innovation happens elsewhere Wink

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject:

Just for the record: I didn't troll. This is a mixing up of quoting levels:

Quote:
[quote="Waldo"]
doctype wrote:

W

This shameless-ripoff crap is from guest "thomas@herzogonline.net", and the came-first sentence from Waldo. From me was only a screenshot which the troll included into his post.

Martin
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject:

doctype wrote:
Just for the record: I didn't troll. This is a mixing up of quoting levels: [...]

This shameless-ripoff crap is from guest "thomas@herzogonline.net", and the came-first sentence from Waldo. From me was only a screenshot which the troll included into his post.

Using the amazing powers of The Council, the bad quoting has now been fixed to un-sully your reputation as an outstanding citizen of trinity Smile

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Using the amazing powers of The Council, the bad quoting has now been fixed to un-sully your reputation as an outstanding citizen of trinity Smile

Smokey

Thanks a lot! Very Happy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 17 of 22