Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)
icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

They haven't been posted to date.

The purpose of this thread is to get the icons in the next test release of NeoOffice, "Aqua Beta". I personally don't know where they are located, so I can't tell you how to replace your current icons with the new ones, sorry ...

BTW I'm looking forward to see these icons in Neo Smile
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
They haven't been posted to date.

Drag 'n drop, like Daniel said.

And to my satisfaction, I just saw that Daniel is Blade Runner fan. Nice Roy Batty quote in that text document icon Smile.

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:

I haven't had access to my Mac recently, and I don't know what Daniel means by a drag-and-drop install, but assuming you drag them from the mounted disk image, you have to drop them somewhere ...
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:

If you've downloaded the NeoOfficeAquaElements.dmg from the link a few posts above, then installation into an existing NeoOffice app is fairly straightforward:

• mount the disk image
• navigate to /Applications/NeoOffice on your hard drive
• ctrl-click or right-click on NeoOffice and choose Show Package Contents
• then it's just a question of copying the icon and splash files from the disk image's /Contents/MacOS & /Contents/Resources folders into the equivalent folders in the NeoOffice package.

(a) it's worth making backup copies of NeoOffice's original MacOS and Resources folders first, and (b) at least for the MacOS copy, you'll probably be prompted to Authenticate with your password to copy the icon files over the originals.

- padmavyuha
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Thanks.
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
And to my satisfaction, I just saw that Daniel is Blade Runner fan. Nice Roy Batty quote in that text document icon Smile.

You've done a man's job, sir Smile
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Instructions for installing icons

Steve Read wrote:
Would it be possible to post instructions on where these new icons should go? At this point the thread is 15 pages long, so if they were previously posted they are hard to find.
thanks

I'm with you Steve. I have put them where I think they should go, but I obviously got that wrong: I am getting the new splashscreen, but my drop-down menu icons are unaffected so far. Smile

Peter
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Instructions for installing icons

aussie149 wrote:
I have put them where I think they should go, but I obviously got that wrong: I am getting the new splashscreen, but my drop-down menu icons are unaffected so far. Smile

These dropdown icons are not part of the package, only splash screen & the icons for the Finder. But, as you can read somewhere on this thread (today, after the first .dmg posting), sardisson/Smokey is preparing them for the Aqua Beta release.

EDIT: They have been already posted, with instructions (manually & Office Themer/Iconic):
http://www.mindspring.com/~alqahira/neoj/neo2toolbarv09.zip
Steve Read

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the instructions re splashscreen, etc.

Thanks to yoxi for posting the instructions.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
For all interested parties, the toolbar/preferences/random-other-places-in-the-app icons are here. (installation instructions for modifying the default icon set's standard (non-high contrast) icons included). I'd appreciate it if you let me know if there were any places where OOo icons still appeared in the app and I'll try and track down the vagrant. Also, if I've got an icon switched (I don't think I do), please let me know.

Hey Smokey, I've tried installing these new dropdown/finder icons both using Iconic and your 'manual' method, and neither seems to work. I followed your manual instructions, and then unzipped the images.zip copy that should have been updated with the new image files, but they're not in there. Any ideas, as they say?

- padmavyuha

*edit* by the way, will the new doc-types icon set be linked to OOo v1.x docs as well as to the opendocument ones? I've noticed that in the Open File dialogue, I'm getting OOov2 icons for the OD docs, but the old v1 icons for the v1.x docs. Is that deliberate?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Hey Smokey, I've tried installing these new dropdown/finder icons both using Iconic and your 'manual' method, and neither seems to work. I followed your manual instructions, and then unzipped the images.zip copy that should have been updated with the new image files, but they're not in there. Any ideas, as they say?

Sad

Well, there are a million places that things could go wrong Sad (I didn't actually check things with Iconic since I haven't gotten around to installing it since it became 10.3-compatible, but based on my general following of the icon theme discussion I assumed it would work....)

Going back to the manual instructions...if the zip file being updated (the one on the Desktop in my instructions) is not being updated, I'm stumped Sad When you run the zip -r command, the Terminal should have several screens full of "updating: foo" lines; if that's not happening, either zip is busted, the source folder is empty, or you're running the zip command from the wrong folder (you need to be in the images folder inside "NeoOffice Toolbar & Preferences Icons 0.9").... Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head....

You can probably unzip the original Neo/Contents/share/config/images.zip (or a copy Wink) by double-clicking, then dropping the files from the new "images" subfolders into the appropriate place, and then re-zipping with the "Create Archive of..." and putting it back in Neo/Contents/share/config/ (I worry about the .DS_Store files messing up OOo, which is why I shipped .DS_Store-less folders and use that Terminal method (well, and it's much easier for development....)

Otherwise, I'm stumped.... Sad

yoxi wrote:
by the way, will the new doc-types icon set be linked to OOo v1.x docs as well as to the opendocument ones? I've noticed that in the Open File dialogue, I'm getting OOov2 icons for the OD docs, but the old v1 icons for the v1.x docs. Is that deliberate?

I guess it was deliberate on the part of the OOo programmers. However, I've mapped both the OOo 1.x and ODF filepicker icons to the new Neo icons in this set (I've left the MS types alone, though).
Click
There may have been some benefit to different icons for different filetypes on some OS where the actual files had those icons, and maybe even a tiny benefit here in Neo-land, but, frankly, those icons were just too ugly Razz

One thing I've noticed with these new icons in the app so far is that it makes the rest of the crack-smoking OOo icons stick out that much more like obnoxious foreign tourists Sad

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Duh

sardisson wrote:
aussie149 wrote:
OK I give up. Where do I put the icons in the Sources folder?

P

Those are for the NeoOffice.org cvs (in case we need to modify anything at some point, etc.) and/or for people who want to create derivatives. Smile

...or for when I discover there are toolbar/internal icons that don't map neatly to the icons we had on the spec sheet, like that generic template icon.

Before and After (and see also the screenshot in the post above, for the larger icon).

I'm sure Daniel could have created ones better than these (and done so more quickly/easily), but having done the "make Neo icons" thing twice before, I know how time-consuming it is and how, once the goods are delivered, you want to move on--or at least take a break. So I figured I'd see if I couldn't create that icon based on the Sources Wink (But if I'm stepping on your toes, Daniel, feel free to slap me....)

For the small icon, the ship alone on the blue background just didn't work, so I went for a plain blueprint, which hopefully looks OK to all our resident art critics Wink

Anyone feel a compelling need to have a proper/separate icon for the Master Documents? I have an idea that should be fairly easy, if people use Master Docs enough to warrant extra differentiation (in-app and/or in the Finder)....

Smokey
Edit to fix copy-paste error Embarassed

Last edited by sardisson on Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

One thing I've noticed
with these new
icons
in the app so far is
that it makes the rest
of the crack-smoking OOo icons
stick out
that much more
like obnoxious
foreign
tourists Sad

Smokey

Smokey the poet.

-j, the ninja editor
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
The icons look great in use! The only disconcerting one to me is the Finder version of generic.icns - from the generic16px.psd file.

On the one hand, this icon is applied to the least NeoOffice-specific doc types, but on the other hand it's the only Finder icon with a prominent ship-in-a-bobble on it. It took me a 2nd glance to realise that all my .csv files were assigned to NeoOffice, because the icon looks so different from the other ones...

I meant to comment again on this later...after some thought, I think here you're at least partly experiencing the flip-side of the problem doctype pointed out...he (and I) would feel better if the 16px color/gradient icons had little globes (or blue dots). For me, the generic icon is actually the icon among the 16px ones that I find *most easily* identifiable as a Neo icon, since it has the ship Wink

Pleasing everyone, and all that... Wink

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
sardisson wrote:

[...][poetry arranged by jake]

Smokey the poet.

In another life, once.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours