· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - My birthday
My birthday

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparcdr
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: My birthday

Hello NeoOffice developers and staff. The release of NeoOffice 2.0 for Intel Macs will be July 1, 2006, which is my birthday. I can prove this by sending in a copy of my identification if you wanted. I was wondering if it'd be possible ot get a copy of NeoOffice 2.0 Intel final. I know it is complete, for the projected date is the first, and testing is pretty much over. I know there will be bugs to be squashed, but hey. I'll help test it out too.

Tell me if you guys can do anything. Thanks.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: My birthday

sparcdr wrote:
Tell me if you guys can do anything. Thanks.

First of all, happy birthday!

Unfortunately, NeoOffice 2.0 is far from ready for a final release. From July 1st, you will be able to download 2.0 alpha for intel for free (right now it costs a little money).

I don't know if anyone is making CDs at this time, but I doubt it. Your best and fastest bet is to go to http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/nl/index.php and download it.

It is great that you want to join our testing effort! I hope there will be very few bugs for you to find, but it is still an alpha release Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

sparcdr
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: The main thing

The main thing I need is OOo (NeoOffice) spreadsheet. I have iWork '06, which is production, because it is commercial. I should get it today (iWork), it is on the shipping truck. For some reason they don't include a spreadsheet, but for the price compared to Microsoft Office, and the native bit (Very necessary), I will take the hit. Also, I am a sucker for the SSO .mac integration, full aqua support, and all the other stuff.

As for NeoOffice, I look forward to testing it. The main thing that I'd like to have NeoOffice/OOo 2.x around for is OpenDocument format, for compatibility reasons. I don't mind if it's an alpha at all, I've dealt with some pretty sub-par programs before with boatloads of bugs.

What I meant is having it for free. It's not like I'm not for open-source and donations, but I've already spent all my money and NeoOffice isn't production capable anyways so the cost is not warrented. I'll just wait another 16 hours I guess.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Second, Happy Birth-day.

I'm sure that you will enjoy using NeoOffice. It is all I have used on my Mac for more than 6 months. I dropped AppleWorks, refused to pay for iWorks, and FREE of Micro$oft Office. It's well worth the wait (or donation!) and cheaper than the others!
Life is good! Cool

and now,
Happy Birthday to you, . . . Happy Birthday to you, . . .
(repeats for 10+ hours - Your Time Zone May Vary... Wink )

Philip (sure amuses himself! Wink )
\Now that NeoOffice for Intel is available, saving for Intel MAC!
sparcdr
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Countdown

2 hours 17 minutes til my bday and intel alpha free for neooffice 2.x. you better watch for the load spike. ill mirror it a few times though once ive gotten it.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject:

I believe we'll also have a torrent up and running. The mirror listing on the download page also cycles randomly so the load will be distributed.

I don't expect the spike will be as bad as you say, but if so thanks to all the mirrors in advance. And don't forget to thank EAP folk who have helped fund this to see the light of day Smile

ed
sparcdr
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Yepper great

Needs memory, appearence, and performance optimizations badly. Transitions are slow, redrawing is slow. Other then that quick if you dont stretch the windows or use transitions in presentations. I'm on a MBP 17" with 2GB here, so it aint me. Anywho, good work, I'll be using it on and off, it'll be on the laptop. I am one of the first bloggers to have put screenshots up, so go to http://www.shadowdev.org/ for them. Take care guys.

Oh yeah and I saw the part about Aqua version, that's awesome. Please make performance bearable first though. Smile
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:

Yeah, the performance is about as good as she'll get. We focus on correctness first, and optimization last Smile

OOo is really modeled after and optimized for Win32 GDI and features some crack smoking behaviour like triangular clipping that don't port well to any other platform aside Win32.

Besides, after you sit through a million PowerPoint presentations, the animations and dissolves start to get annoying after a while and seem as if some folk spend more time thinking about how the text flies in rather than making meaningful content Laughing

ed
tim-e
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject:

I've put NeoOffice on my Mac because my work will be prohibiting the use of MS Office products for business documents from 1 September - we have been told to use StarOffice. Fair enough, easy to do on my work laptop (and SunRay when I'm in the office) which is x86, but I have long wanted a native Mac OOo that didn't require X11, and look butt ugly.

Crack smoking behaviour... I like that. I think I might have to start using that phrase. Wink
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject:

Welcome to NeoOffice tim-e,

We are happy to have you join us. Hope that you find NeoOffice as useful as many other folks have.
It's the only Office Suite I use on my Mac - no MS Office, AppleWorks, or iWorks.

NeoOffice does it all! Handles MS Office Documents better than any other program I have found, Works natively on the Mac - Now with improved AQUA User Interface. I even use it to read/repair corrupted MS Word documents.

If any bugs are found, the NeoOffice developers are amazing in their efforts to fix them quickly.

Philip (Using NeoOffice 2.Oh! and loving it!! Wink )
tim-e
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject:

Oh, interface wise, OOo has always kicked butt over MSO/mac. Now that development of a native Aqua version is well underway, there's no reason to have to put up with that bloated crap any more.

I subscribed to get all 2.x releases - now use that money to make horizontal trackpad scrolling work. Laughing

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject:

tim-e wrote:
Crack smoking behaviour... I like that. I think I might have to start using that phrase. Wink

It's a well known fact among the software development community that UI designers smoke a lot of crack, especially those twisted girls and boys at Redmond, as can be witnessed from the fruits of their labours. If only the law enforcement agencies would follow this obvious lead...
tim-e
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject:

Yeah. You'd have to be on crack to think that anything to do with the Windows interface is good. Rolling Eyes
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject:

No man, triangular clipping is the wave of the future.

ed

/too obscure?
//vclcanvas "feature" for 2.0
///works efficiently on windows but sucks everywhere else
////so we took it out
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject:

tim-e wrote:
I subscribed to get all 2.x releases - now use that money to make horizontal trackpad scrolling work. Laughing

I really wish we could do this since I myself would love it. Unfortunately, on Mac OS X the Java virtual machine itself traps all mouse scrollwheel events and there's no low level hook we can get to override the VM and receive these events. See this bug for details. There's nothing that we can do until the Apple JavaVM gives us some help here. And trust me, we're experts in dynamically addressing limitations in the VM...if something is closed as a Java bug that means there's no way we can fix it given the workarounds we already know for doing VM hacking.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1