NeoOffice @ OOoCon 2006

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
OK, I just read an old email form my cousin, which says that there aren't that many places close to the Doua (INSA campus), but apparently downtown Lyon isn't that far away and she thinks it might be a better solution. She added that she was still looking for other alternatives, but I haven't heard of her since then (Aug. 14).

That sounds like a good idea to me as well. Ed and I are staying just across the river from Vieux Lyon.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Sweet! The USPS came through and I now have my microcassette recorder again! Not only have I been reinvigorated by some amazing physics lectures from college, but the podcasting is now at hand!! Well, microcassette casting, or audio downloads, or what have you...Razz

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
OK, I just read an old email form my cousin, which says that there aren't that many places close to the Doua (INSA campus), but apparently downtown Lyon isn't that far away and she thinks it might be a better solution. She added that she was still looking for other alternatives, but I haven't heard of her since then (Aug. 14).

Word has it that you will be at the Geneva event. If so and your cousin has one or two places in mind, Ed and I can check them out Sunday night when we get back to Lyon.

If you already know of one or two, we can also check one of them out this Thursday night when we fly into Lyon.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject:

(packing...and probably forgetting lotsa last minute details...)

I'm stoked to finally be able to meet all y'all in person! While it's going to be a rough week or so for myself with all the things that are planned, it's going to be fun as well. Unfortunately with all the new flight restrictions I can't bring my Foxen wine with me for the party so I guess I'll have to have my mind expanded with some probably much better local stuff Very Happy

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Bon voyage!

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Word has it that you will be at the Geneva event. If so and your cousin has one or two places in mind, Ed and I can check them out Sunday night when we get back to Lyon.

I will indeed be at the Geneva event.

Unfotunately I still haven't heard of my cousin since Aug. 14, and I am starting to believe that I won't hear from her until after OOoCon Confused You may (will) have to find a place without our help.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject:

So Ed and I are now in Lyon. We will be setting up our booth at OOoCon on Monday morning so if you want to join us for the NeoOffice First Anual Drinking event on Monday night, be sure to drop by our booth on Monday afternoon to get the details of where we will be meeting.

Patrick
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
So Ed and I are now in Lyon. We will be setting up our booth at OOoCon on Monday morning so if you want to join us for the NeoOffice First Anual Drinking event on Monday night, be sure to drop by our booth on Monday afternoon to get the details of where we will be meeting.

I'll be at the Lyon Part Dieu railway station at 8:30pm.
How will I be able to meet you? Confused
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject:

Sweet! OK, here's some info:

At the conference proper you can locate us in the first exhibitor room...as you get into the building hang left on the first floor towards the information desk and we're in the first glass walled off room by the door. Look for a banner with a big ship and folks wearing some sharp dark blue t-shirts Wink

Tonight Patrick and I are planning on starting the drinking up here by INSA to allow anyone who wants to go to the other get-togethers tonight the chance (it's why we start early!). By 8:30-9PM we probably will be back in old town Lyon hear the Theatre des Célestins. The closest metro stop is Belcour. There's a bar two doors south from the Hotel des Artistes where we were planning on going (I don't remember the name offhand...) right in the theatre square. If we don't hook up there, we'll try to swing by the hotel around 9-9:15ish.

Look for the one guy with the long hair in the bar. I believe I may be the only guy with a foot-long ponytail in all of Lyon, or perhaps I may be looking in the wrong places Wink

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Look for the one guy with the long hair in the bar. I believe I may be the only guy with a foot-long ponytail in all of Lyon, or perhaps I may be looking in the wrong places Wink

Well, at least you don't have to be in the US today Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject:

Hi all,

I have taken some photos and put on the web. I'll probably put some more later http://homepage.mac.com/knut_kjaereng/ooocon2006/ooocon2006.html

Smile
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I thought this was interesting. I tried to take notes as best I could considering the awful camera work and terrible sound... plus the java client had no way (I could find) to go back and review/replay.

Mac OS X porting: The Next Step given by Eric Bachard.

Summary:

* Points out stuff that's missing in OOo 2.0-- missing menu, scrollbars, file picker, etc.

* Talks about regular OO.o dependence on X11.

* Talked about Intel ports of X11 version, which came in Jan '06

* talked about the first steps of making ooo use apple fonts, cups, fixing the UI, native font server, etc.

* He talked a bit about what has been done and what hasn't (a lot hasn't) and asked for more coders. Drag and drop for example has no one working on it currently.

* He then did a demo. First showing that X11 wasn't running, He then launches the app. The font list was totally screwed up. Whoever was running the camera did a crappy job, making it hard to see what was going on..

* Lots of rendering issues, but looked like the menu bar was along the top of the screen as it should be...

* Very slow with some rainbow cursors... then they have some kind of problem that involves a few people having to figure out the UI Smile

* five minutes later... he is able to draw simple shapes on the window by clicking points. Scaling and moving them works.

* I wish to stress the camera guy makes it REALLY hard to see what the demo is demoing...

* Some dialogues and toolbars pop up and seem to kinda work.

* there are a lot of issues and work to be done, he stressed. Keybaord issues, drawing issues, font, drag and drop, file picker, on and on...

* There's a question from the audience, but I can't hear it.

* Next, he shows us SOMETHING. But the camera guy chooses to not show us any of it

* I guess he summerizes-- He talks about refreshing and redrawing work that needs to be done. Forms need to be done. Event loops need to be fixed. Keyboard needs to be fixed.

* mentions the roadmap. They have weekly meetings and the roadmap was a result of that.

* Objective "this program is very dynamic. Nothing woudl be done without the dynamic we have this project. We think we have... complete and precise documentation. We have regular meetings. We try to share the work to communicate to be visible... and we define objectives" (typing in real time so there are mistakes)

* Talks about needing resources, volunteers, etc. They aren't getting paid. Stresses this is complicated. Wants new developers. Esp. people with API knowledge.

* Wants to improve wiki documentation, raise visibility. Get feedback. Redesign the website. And go to important mac events to do presentations... (tells anecdote about how this is a community project) wants to be accessible.

* Talks about how to contact them. i #ooo_macport on irc.freenode.com. They have weekly IRC meetings, as said. And the mailing list. Eric was really asking for help to bring the project to life... want to have real-life meetings. The last one was in Hamburg. Much better to be syncronous like in person than asyncronous mailing list.

* Above all, they want to fulfill mac expectations. Community is important.. There's between 10-20 people regularly involved in the porting effort + some QA and advanced users that help.

That was basically it. You can watch the whole thing and tell me what i missed....

Q&A followed (summarized-- SORRY, REALLY HARD TO HEAR PEOPLE IN THE AUDIENCE AND CROSS-CHATTER... so thi is my impression of what they were saying):

Q: What are your big problems?

A: Some graphical issues (demoed-- talked about binding carbon API to VCL and I didn't understand exactly what he was talking about here, but he said it was very difficult...) Pioneering work done by three guys (stephan something... I don't know.. Not pat and ed..) The carbon->VCL translation was a huge issue.

He mentioned another issue, but I was confused. Something about documentation.

He says #3 was the event loop. It wasn't possible to intercept events correctly. (technical stuff about events not being received). So re-defining the event loop was important...

Q: [someone banging something so hard to hear question]

A: Also hard to understand/hear. Someone sitting further answered.

Q: [something about difficulty for new developers]

A: Summer of code person was spent mostly learning how the project works. So there wasn't much programming.

Q: So-would it be better for someone coming to the first time to documenta ll the new stuff to make it easier for the next person?

A: We have a problem where people who come spend all their time learning...

Q: I'm interested in the mac port-- I want to help. But how can I help, and what other ways can I help? On the evangelism front-- when can I talk to the media? Even two weeks ago I was in california and I talked to someone in the media who said they don't use OOo period, cuz it doesn't work on a mac. .... will that be a barrier in the future?

A: We need to attract talent...

consensus of this discussion was "we've got a ways to go."

---

Dunno if that made any sense. Watch the video yourself if you want to get a better take on it..

W
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

knutkja wrote:
Hi all,

I have taken some photos and put on the web. I'll probably put some more later http://homepage.mac.com/knut_kjaereng/ooocon2006/ooocon2006.html

Smile

Extra space on the picture of ed.

I'm guessing he's on the right, right?

W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
I thought this was interesting. I tried to take notes as best I could considering the awful camera work and terrible sound... plus the java client had no way (I could find) to go back and review/replay.

Mac OS X porting: The Next Step given by Eric Bachard.

There are other versions of the video available (Streaming, Download etc) for VLC player there:
http://ooocon-arnes.kiberpipa.org/media/index-talk-2006.html
(Scroll down to Mac OS X porting: the Next Step)

... there is some entertainment factor also ....

Martin
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:

Extra space on the picture of ed.

I'm guessing he's on the right, right?

Correct. He is very much looking like the Drunken Master in that shot. Cool
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10