NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Test patch # 2:
The font size in the Font Name dropdown is normal now - the spacing between lines is pretty oversize, though, and the longest font name I have (the absurd 18pt Helvetica* 26 Ultra Light Italic 99472) only makes it around 70% across the dropdown width. How is Neo deciding what font to use to display the font names now?

- padmavyuha

Neo isn't deciding. OpenOffice.org is. OpenOffice.org uses the default default for labels, etc. The spacing is set by OpenOffice.org to be large enough to accomodate the silly "A" image plus a little padding and has nothing to do with the font. Trust me, it is the same as before size wise.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:

...and just to be sure, I reinstalled the Alpha 4 binary without any of the test patches and both the line height and the font list width are exactly the same with or without the latest test patch.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:

I trust you. And there's no way to turn off the 'a-and-arrows' thing, I suppose (certainly it's redundant in my list, since every single font has one - I suppose it's something to do with different font types recognised by the OOo code, since the winxx version shows Tt against most of the fonts). And I can see that with fonts with big ascenders/descenders like Zapfino and the rest, you need the extra headroom. We'll get used to it.

- padmavyuha
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:

In test patch #2, I'm still getting the mysterious 'A' icon when closing a doc after the Font Name dropdown has had focus.

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
In test patch #2, I'm still getting the mysterious 'A' icon when closing a doc after the Font Name dropdown has had focus.

- padmavyuha

Do you have custom icons installed? I cannot reproduce this.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

No custom icons - I've done a clean reinstallation of alpha 4 with test patch 2, and a brand new prefs folder for good measure.
If you fiddle with Visible Buttons on the Formatting toolbar in Writer, and remove the first 2 items - Styles and Formatting & Apply Style - you get the Font Name dropdown leftmost. Click on this dropdown, then get focus back on the doc and click on the Close button - I get a big A button as the window closes. Now open another new doc, and add Apply Style back to Visible Buttons and do the same using THAT dropdown - I get a Style button appearing as the window closes.

Maybe you're not seeing this because your machine is a lot faster than mine? It sems to happen when a dropdown is leftmost, and that dropdown has been accessed.

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
No custom icons - I've done a clean reinstallation of alpha 4 with test patch 2, and a brand new prefs folder for good measure.
If you fiddle with Visible Buttons on the Formatting toolbar in Writer, and remove the first 2 items - Styles and Formatting & Apply Style - you get the Font Name dropdown leftmost. Click on this dropdown, then get focus back on the doc and click on the Close button - I get a big A button as the window closes. Now open another new doc, and add Apply Style back to Visible Buttons and do the same using THAT dropdown - I get a Style button appearing as the window closes.

Maybe you're not seeing this because your machine is a lot faster than mine? It sems to happen when a dropdown is leftmost, and that dropdown has been accessed.

Nope. You are seeing an OpenOffice.org bug. Once I figured out that you were using the small Crystal icons (yes, custom icons do make a difference), I could easily reproduce this behavior in OpenOffice.org 2.0.2.

Patrick
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm seeing a noticable improvement in startup.

Before patch:
First startup: 45 seconds
Subsequent startups: 17 seconds

After patch:
First startup: 30 seconds
Subsequent startups: 11 seconds

I don't see any other issues with this patch (I installed the second one you posted), except for the patch is versioned as Alpha 4 Patch 0 - so in "About..." and during the install, it says that patch 0 is installed.

-Nathan
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I failed to mention:

I have no extra fonts installed - just the default ones that came with my PowerBook. I haven't disabled any either...so I'm a pretty good test-case of what the "average joe" might have installed on his computer.

PBG4 1.66 GHz 2GB RAM
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject:

After a reboot, on first launch, NeoOffice starts in about 25 seconds (to the empty Writer document - from clicking the icon in my Dock to the moment when the splash disappears, it takes about 19-20 seconds).

The second launch took 17 seconds (about 10 seconds until the splash vanished).

All recent test patches (which I have been able to test) have the same version number as the current patch; Patrick doesn't change the patch number in CVS until he is about to release an official patch.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone have a large number of fonts installed on their machine. I'm curious how 1000+ fonts compares after the test patch.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Nope. You are seeing an OpenOffice.org bug. Once I figured out that you were using the small Crystal icons (yes, custom icons do make a difference), I could easily reproduce this behavior in OpenOffice.org 2.0.2.

Okay, this is one of those mac nutso situations that seem to keep happening. One of the first things I checked before mentioning this icon bug (because I am also thorough sometimes!) was that it also happened using the default icon set.
So I've just gone and checked it again, and now it's NOT doing it with the default icon set. So then I quit and reverted to my original preferences that I'd saved - and now the icon doesn't appear at all in either icon set. Go figure. Some kind of weird cache-landing, I presume... anyway, no more problems at this end.

- padmavyuha
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Another side-effect of the new font-handling code is that in Tools-Options-NeoOffice-Fonts, you can't choose the default font for HTML/BASIC if the 'non-proportional fonts only' checkbox is ticked (presumably because Neo doesn't know which fonts are monospace, not having loaded anything except the font names), you just get 'Automatic' in the dropdown. If you uncheck the box, though, you can select your font of choice from the whole list okay (Courier New Bold is so much more legible than the rest, don'tcha know).

- padmavyuha
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Does anyone have a large number of fonts installed on their machine. I'm curious how 1000+ fonts compares after the test patch.

Smokey, did you have a go at this? You seem to be the man with the fonts (and knowledge about them) here Smile.

As for Padmavyuha's problem, I wonder how many fonts are used in total in various elements of OOo 2 without the user selecting any of them explicitly...

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Please test startup improvements

I have posted the following new test patch. In this test patch, non-proportional fonts are properly identified:

Intel: http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOffice-2.0_Alpha_4-Patch-0-Test-4-Intel.dmg
PowerPC: http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOffice-2.0_Alpha_4-Patch-0-Test-4-PowerPC.dmg

If you have not installed any of the previous test patches, please reboot after installing the patch as running NeoOffice after the patch won't really change anything since previous runs of NeoOffice will have forced all fonts to load.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5