Creating an Aqua toolbar icon set

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Duh

sardisson wrote:
djpimley wrote:
No worries, no slapping necessary. I am considering an attempt at the insane Aqua icon set kamikaze project in the future

May the Force be with you, as they say Smile

Smokey

Does that mean that you are looking at developing an Aqua icon set based on Punto mac's work,or is this a whole new set, or...?

P
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Duh

aussie149 wrote:
Does that mean that you are looking at developing an Aqua icon set based on Punto mac's work,or is this a whole new set, or...?

A complete new set from scratch. As I understand it from that thread, PuntoMac's icons are all ripped from Apple packages so they cannot be distributed under GPL. I'd like to try making a set that can, if the Gods of Neo wish it so, be used as the default set.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Duh

djpimley wrote:
aussie149 wrote:

A complete new set from scratch. As I understand it from that thread, PuntoMac's icons are all ripped from Apple packages so they cannot be distributed under GPL. I'd like to try making a set that can, if the Gods of Neo wish it so, be used as the default set.

And for that, Mr Pimley, you will become a great hero to all of the denizens of Neo-land, and many statues will be erected in your hono(u)r.

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Duh

sardisson wrote:
And for that, Mr Pimley, you will become a great hero to all of the denizens of Neo-land, and many statues will be erected in your hono(u)r.

Definitely honour. Program(me) I can accept, hono(u)r I cannot.

Well it's just a notion at the moment, but from little acorns great oaks grow.
Punto_Mac
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Neo 1.2 iterations of the iconset are mainly ripped from Apple packages. Neo 2.0 Icons from the Office Themer thread were made by me inspired on iWork icons with an Apple Pro App Style and Size.

If you want to try the last (partial) set with Iconic, it's here:

http://homepage.mac.com/punto_mac/projects/neo/downloads/Akua_Prerelease.dmg

I hope the license is GPL compatible.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Punto_Mac wrote:
Neo 2.0 Icons from the Office Themer thread were made by me inspired on iWork icons with an Apple Pro App Style and Size.

Ah, good to know, and sorry for perpetuating the confusion Sad

Punto_Mac wrote:
If you want to try the last (partial) set with Iconic, it's here:

http://homepage.mac.com/punto_mac/projects/neo/downloads/Akua_Prerelease.dmg

Smile

Punto_Mac wrote:

According to the FSF webpage, it's not (I think because it prohibits larger/derivative works from being sold).

Good to see you back again, and to see you've finally been able to register!

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Punto_Mac wrote:

According to the FSF webpage, it's not (I think because it prohibits larger/derivative works from being sold).

Yech. I really dislike it when free licenses get in the way of each other. OTOH, I am a creative commons fan myself Smile. But is it a problem for bundling the icons into a Neo binary?

Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject:

FYI: I split the last few posts off of the insane splashscreen/Finder icons topic to make this new topic for discussion of any efforts to create a new Aqua-styled set of icons to effectively replace the default set of toolbar/in-app icons (mostly toolbar at this point).

This thread will probably run long, too, but at least we have a relatively fresh start.

According to the venerable ZipIt, there are 7627 items in images.zip. Of that, there are *roughly* 42 folders. There are 133 icons that we currently replace with versions of the Finder icons. Roughly half the remaining icons are the high-contrast versions of the icons. Of remaining icons, there are a fair number of icons that appear to be used 4-5 times, there are many icons that are just big "X" characters in various colors, etc. Some icons are for widget features that hopefully will be NWFed/native filepickered away (e.g., the at-least-6 plus/minus icons, a number of "picture" icons).

Most of these icons are 16x16 in the small version and 26x26 (max) in the large version, but according to what I've read, there are some other sizes lurking, and there are some uses of "file icons" in that app (outside of the filepicker) that will never pick up the true Mac icons that we'll want to restyle at some point, some of which are 32x32.....

All icons are 32-bit PNGs with transparency.

You can unzip your NeoOffice.app/Contents/share/config/images.zip file to get at all the icons. (Aside from replacing the OOo app and OOo/SO document icons inside the app with Neo versions in all 4 sets, I don't think we want to touch the Crystal and Industrial sets, and if we do high-contrast versions of this Aqua set, we'll have essentially populated the HiContrast set....)

So that's roughly where we stand at the moment, as I understand it. The icon set will need to be GPL-compatible (which essentially means GPL or LGPL afaik) in order to be included in NeoOffice.

Smokey
Edit: add the file format, too Wink

Last edited by sardisson on Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

I just have a couple of things to add. First of all, a lot more has been said on this matter and if anyone feels the need to dig, this thread is a good place to start.

If you want to dabble in making or replacing icons, the Iconic program made by Brett is very useful: http://brettisangry.com/Iconic/

Good luck everyone!

best wishes,
Oz

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:

Oh, right; the original thread on the GUI icons Wink That was a good thread, another wonderfully-long thread.

A large bit of it is concerned with "slotlists" and other technical details and blind men feeling their way around that thankfully was obsoleted by the OOo 2 codebase and the wonderful images.zip Smile and some of it with radical new UI designs we can't do anything about. But there's a lot of good discussion on what people's sensibilities are, among other things that are still useful.

Another tip: If you're using Photoshop to create your icons, its PNGs can be quite bloated, so run a copy of them through something like PNGCrusher to drastically reduce the file size before adding to images.zip.

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:

I like the look of what Punto_Mac's created so far and if it can be made GPL then it's a very promising start to a complete Aqua set. Maybe I can help out in future, it's really up to Punto_Mac since this is his gig.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Akua etc

djpimley wrote:
I like the look of what Punto_Mac's created so far and if it can be made GPL then it's a very promising start to a complete Aqua set. Maybe I can help out in future, it's really up to Punto_Mac since this is his gig.

Actually, you have both been doing great work, exciting work, to help make the NeoOffice user experience friendly and easy. If you were to work together on this, that would also be great. I've run the Punto Mac icons through Brett's Iconic [another great piece of work, much appreviated] and it looks more than promising, if we can get the licences sorted. I assume that many of the Akua icons owe nothing to Apple anyway, so they should be OK. I've put these screen pics with Akua here, to give an idea

Peter

Last edited by aussie149 on Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject:

/me wonders why in the heck there is a toolbar icon (or even a command!) for "can't undo" !? Confused

(I suspect a better solution for that would be completely grey-out the icon, or barring that, the regular undo arrow with an X over it, as opposed to a completely new icon. Wink I happen to think that icon looks pretty GNOMEy, but that's another thing entirely Razz)

Personally, I'd prefer some sort of collaboration, 1) because Punto Mac and djpimley have both done great work so far and 2) because, well, selfishly, making 7000 icons will go a lot more quickly if we can have 2 or 3 designers in sync, working collaboratively Wink

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
/me wonders why in the heck there is a toolbar icon (or even a command!) for "can't undo" !? Confused

Smokey

I was going to explain, but I realised you were kidding Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Smokey

I was going to explain, but I realised you were kidding Smile

Actually, I was confused for some time, but I finally realized 1) the customize toolbar menu seems to list "Undo" and "Redo" as "Can't Undo" and "Can't Restore" for some odd reason, and 2) this was another Windows-ism; whereas on the Mac we just grey out "Undo" and "Redo" when they're not available, Windows seems to change the menu item name (and tooltip) instead of simply disabling the item.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25