Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Aqua Beta - first impressions?
Aqua Beta - first impressions?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Aqua Beta - first impressions?

My mac is manfully curling the aqua beta .dmg right now (I'm guessing there are a lot of us doing it at the same time, because it's averaging about 8Kb/s!) - has anyone got it down yet, and how's it looking? I've still got 2 hours of curling to go...

- padmavyuha (of the 'long-haired kings', apparently)

Last edited by yoxi on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:

queue " LOUD appaluse"

I got it a while ago (Japan time! Wink ). It only took 8-10 minutes at that time.

IT looks pretty good. I found some minor little problems (should we start a message list?) but it's working great.

I have played with Word and Draw (Doing work on the highlighting the Aqua Beta changes in the sample example! tee hee). (Up / Down scroll buttons not working in Draw...)

It looks good, runs well. I even turned on "show fonts in menus" and re-started. Neo still starts quickly!

Philip (so happy he could ... lick his Aqua screen!) ZAP!

\Patrick & Ed - YOU da Man(s) LOUD appaluse
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject:

It's pretty splendid - of course, now I'm really going to have to get a faster mac, because on a 400MHz G4 with ShapeShifter running, the display lag is much greater with the new aqua elements in place. But then I'm getting a new mac this summer sometime anyhow, so I'm not bothered for the moment - it doesn't slow down writing, just slows down using panels/dropdowns, so no big deal.

The only really depressing thing for me is that I can't use my favourite ShapeShifter theme any more with NeoOffice with the aqua elements, because the spinners and buttons are black on black - a problem I've had with this theme already in some apps and menubar stuff:

I'll just have to hunt for another one - or adapt the theme, as that's possible with the latest ShapeShifter. But this isn't a NeoOffice shortcoming, it's an aqua one (that Apple interface is just too damn' bright...)

- padmavyuha
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Going Now

I eventually got it going: took a long time to move on first go-through. I moved my preferences to force a new build, so I had to set up appearances etc again. Now I've lost my Akua icons, and Iconic doesn't want to work [doesn't have permissions, it seems) - so I gave myself permissions I shouldn't have done for a while, and Iconic went to work. All fixed again. i've got the new djpimley icons now, too. Speed is OK so far. Got the graphite colours where they should be, thanks Ed.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
I have played with Word and Draw (Doing work on the highlighting the Aqua Beta changes in the sample example! tee hee). (Up / Down scroll buttons not working in Draw...)

Really? They work for me with an empty Draw document. Do they work in any situation?

Patrick
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
LemonAid wrote:
(Up / Down scroll buttons not working in Draw...)

Really? They work for me with an empty Draw document. Do they work in any situation?
Patrick

They seem to be working for me too

Peter
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I'll just have to hunt for another one - or adapt the theme, as that's possible with the latest ShapeShifter. But this isn't a NeoOffice shortcoming, it's an aqua one (that Apple interface is just too damn' bright...)

Interesting...what this really needs is a way to chagne hte text color. I suspect that ShapeShifter is advertising the correct colors in ThemeBrushes, but right now the underlying OOo VCL code doesn't know about those text colors and is using black. I wonder if there might be a way to customize them (Tools > Options > NeoOffice > Appearance > Font color)?

I'll look into it later on to see if there's anything that can be done.

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

There's an app with ShapeShifter called GUItweak which allows me to change some of the control text colours, but I'll have to wait until I've time to experiment with this for my favourite theme; a quick glance does suggest, though, that it's the theme rather than NeoOffice that's the problem, as it's got a lot of the texts set to System Default, which is black.

Incidentally, I changed the Tools-Options-NeoOffice-Appearance-Font to a colour other than black, but I've yet to see this have any effect whatsoever on any of the text in NeoOffice!

- padmavyuha
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
LemonAid wrote:

Patrick
At work now, I will test and report when I get home.

padmavyuha
I notice an OpenOffice color Theme while I was playing it the new Aqua Prefernces - I forget which general setting.
It looked like you could define most color themes/items AND save that as a template. I wonder if we can create a ... easier on the eye Theme ( call it "yoxi" would be my first choice Wink ).

I double check when I get home.

Philip ( so many ... pretty colors - I wonder what that button do e...
Max
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:

I went straight to my favourite Writer dialog (NOT) and the text labeling the 'preview' checkbox at the bottom right corner wanders off-window:
Insert | Indexes & Tables | Indexes & Tables...

(sorry, but I don't know how to include a screen grab in a post)

Using this dialog to format a bibliography with a variety of citation types is enough to make a strong man weep. That's not Neo's problem though!

Max
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:

I notice an OpenOffice color Theme while I was playing it the new Aqua Prefernces - I forget which general setting.
It looked like you could define most color themes/items AND save that as a template. I wonder if we can create a ... easier on the eye Theme

There are a number of things one can do in Tools-Options-NeoOffice-Appearance to dim down the interface, but I'm sticking with ShapeShifter because the problem I have is an overall one with OSX and Aqua - it's like working in front of a fluorescent light, it's all so bright. So I choose a SS theme that provides a muted menubar and window widgets and bits and bobs on the whole OSX interface.

- padmavyuha
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Max wrote:
(sorry, but I don't know how to include a screen grab in a post)

[img]put/in/the/url/to/img[/img]

If you don't have webspace, something like www.imageshack.com will host it for you.

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:

My only serious issue (aside from lots of little glitches I'm sure will be fixed in good time) is speed. Performance has taken a noticeable hit in the Aqua Beta. I'm running a dual 800MHz G4 with 1GB of RAM - not the newest and fastest Mac but I would expect it to be more than enough muscle for seamless redrawing of the UI.

I know this is a beta and I know the gargantuan effort it took to get this far but if I was a new user and this was my first encounter with NeoOffice I'd be pretty underwhelmed by the 'feel' of the user experience. I think performance has to be top priority (second only to stability!) for ongoing Aqua development.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:
pluby wrote:
LemonAid wrote:
(Up / Down scroll buttons not working in Draw...)
Patrick
They seem to be working for me too

Peter
Hi All,
Did some testing - in Aqua Beta Draw and reported the problem in Buzilla 1600.
1. It seems that the Hot Zone of the up/down, and left/right scroll buttons is off.
Only hot at the edge pointed to by the arrow/triangle.
The edge overlapped by the elevator is almost impossible to find/click.
2. Plus, the close "X" on the Page Pane highlights, but does not close.
Using Menu VIEW -> Page Pane works to Open/close.

3. Comment - The Color and Color Fill Popup menus spacing seems off (they almost touch! )

Philip (Other than Manual scrolling - it still the ... BOM! Wink )
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
2. Plus, the close "X" on the Page Pane highlights, but does not close.
Using Menu VIEW -> Page Pane works to Open/close.

FYI. This is an OOo 2.0.3 bug.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2