Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can we/should we promote the NeoOffice beta?
Can we/should we promote the NeoOffice beta?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Can we/should we promote the NeoOffice beta?

Hi,

I've written a mini-review for NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha and Beta. I sent OSNews a notice that the Aqua beta had been released and sent a link with my article as well. I was considering submitting to Digg as well, but thought I should run it by everyone here first. What's the plan? Might be a way to drum up more EAP money, if that's desireable.

For those interested, my mini-review can be found here:

http://lnxg.ca/?Software:A_look_at_NeoOffice_2.0
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:

Really everyone's free to do what they want with respect to their reviews and everything Smile I'm personally fine with whatever anyone has to say, good or bad, about our work and however they want to promote it. I'm glad the graphite theme also seems to work since that's something I didn't extensively test!

Overall it reads really well, and I think touches on several good points. Of course, in the "more than two" section I'd also add reference for the new splashscreen and all the people that give so much time to help out users of both OOo and Neo alike. Quite interesting, and thanks for taking the time to write it Smile

ed
toonetown
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject:

I especially like the explanation of the EAP - it's very clear and easy-to-understand!

Great work!

-Nathan
ben
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Thanks for the feedback

I've added a bit about the forum and wiki. I had mentioned the splashscreen but have added to that a bit. Now, let's see if we can drum up some attention!

BTW, I wrote it on NeoOffice Alpha and the Beta. Great work on the beta release. It doesn't seem any slower on my machines even with the Aqua widgets. Oh, and not only do I use the Graphite theme, I've also installed Uno which explains the non-standard colours.

Ben
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject:

good to hear. though you may want to meantion that. i kept thinking "mine doesn't look like that. i hope my computer isn't hosed...."

or maybe get 'standard' screen shots... which i bet we could wiki-ify later as well. Wink
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Excellent Article. One of the best I've seen.

What is this Uno thing-e??

http://www.macintouch.com/ has a note about the Aqua Beta too!

Philip ( See, NeoOffice 2.Oh! Alpha Beta is making me "Smarter" - AGAIN Exclamation Cool )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Wow, they don't usually pick up on our EAP releases. I do want to make sure we make a big splash when Beta comes out of EAP, but getting a few more EAP members by some promotion now is not a bad idea, either.

I'm working on getting some updates to the Screenshots in the wiki, too.

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject:

I see Punto Mac's icon set made its world-wide debut in the MacBidouille article on Neo 2 Aqua Beta. Smile

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject:

MacNN blurb.

ed
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I see Punto Mac's icon set made its world-wide debut in the MacBidouille article on Neo 2 Aqua Beta. Smile

Smokey

And on HardMac Razz
I will put english screenshots tonight if I remember to do it.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Well done

val1984 wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Smokey

And on HardMac Razz
I will put english screenshots tonight if I remember to do it.

Great work, Val. I assume you are responsible for both Hardmac and MacBiduoille contributions. Tres bon.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

Macslash. I'll save /. for the release Smile

W
(not signed in.)
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:

Some more references:

tuaw.com: NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta released with Early Access Program
tuaw wrote:
The Early Access Program is, in my opinion, a really cool and clever way to bring in some money for the project's hard work (after all, this entire project is made up of volunteers, and somebody's gotta pay the bills). (...) I personally haven't tried a copy yet (I already - unfortunately - sunk money into Office 2004), but I'm willing to bet with some of the java benchmarks we've seen on Intel Macs, this suite will run pretty well if you have Intel inside. This sounds like a good a case as any to grab a copy early and help support a great project.

And a German reference:
heise.de (most popular tech news site there): OpenOffice-Mac-Portierung NeoOffice 2.0 im Beta-Test

Martin
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject:

All in all quite a bit of coverage Smile. Thanks to everyone who submitted stories!

BTW, the screenshots page on the wiki is a bit outdated. Will someone update it, so that I can keep salivating until the EAP runs out Wink? Something with the new icons as well as showing off the aqua goodness.

Best wishes,
Oscar

Edit: more coverage @ dailytech.com

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:

doctype wrote:
Some more references:

tuaw.com: NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta released with Early Access Program

Martin
HELP,
Can we update the www.NeoOffice.org home and Info pages (AND http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php pages) so that there is a CLEAR statement that Neo "NeoOffice uses bits of Cocoa and Java to implement a more Mac-like user experience." etc

I was trying to respond to the above tuaw.com post and could not (quickly) find the TEXT that says " Neo use SOME java, Cocoa, etc" anyplace other than the Wiki - front page.

I know that there is a good Sentence about that - I just could not find it on any of the NeoOffice.org intro pages.

[/b]It probably should be on ALL of the intro, Home, EAP, and Wiki pages.[/b]

Philip (YES, I tired of non-users griping about Java. Crying or Very sad )

p.s. The FAQ (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=FAQ) is so old it probably is retired! Wink

\. them .... all!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2