Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice Aqua Beta 2 (Intel) regressions
NeoOffice Aqua Beta 2 (Intel) regressions

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluespot
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: NeoOffice Aqua Beta 2 (Intel) regressions

Contragulations for the Aqua feel with NeoOffice ! The big improvement is the file navigation (much easier to select network volumes).

BUT, so far I found some severe regressions against NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha

- when saving a document into a network folder, a error messages pops "Unable to create backup file" (translated from "Création de la copie de sauvegarde impossible")
- I can't no longer modify files on network folders (they are opened as read-only documents)
- when I open a OOo Base file with a MySQL connection, the database connection parameters are empty.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice Aqua Beta 2 (Intel) regressions

bluespot wrote:
Contragulations for the Aqua feel with NeoOffice ! The big improvement is the file navigation (much easier to select network volumes).

- when saving a document into a network folder, a error messages pops "Unable to create backup file" (translated from "Création de la copie de sauvegarde impossible")
- I can't no longer modify files on network folders (they are opened as read-only documents)

This sounds like bug 1643. Can you please add yourself to the CC: list in that bug, run the test patch that is in that bug, and add your output of the test patch to that bug?

bluespot wrote:
- when I open a OOo Base file with a MySQL connection, the database connection parameters are empty.

This is an OpenOffice.or 2.0.3 bug. OpenOffice.org 2.0.3, IMHO, has many regressions and new bugs.

<rant>Supposedly, Sun's engineers are only fixing bugs in these 2.0.x releases but my brief look at that code when I upgraded from OOo 2.0.2 to OOo 2.0.3 is that they are making sometimes huge and unnecessary changes. For example, in OOo 2.0.3, they refactored their custom memory manager and made it very difficult to turn it off (I use Mac OS X's malloc() and free() functions as I usually put my trust in the OS over specific applications custom code). Also, my impression is that Base is still not that stable is really in the development stage so use it with that in mind.</rant>

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice Aqua Beta 2 (Intel) regressions

bluespot wrote:

No such problem here, MySQL-based Database Files "migrated" perfectly from Alpha 4 to Aqua Beta.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice Aqua Beta 2 (Intel) regressions

pluby wrote:
bluespot wrote:

This sounds like bug 1643. Can you please add yourself to the CC: list in that bug, run the test patch that is in that bug, and add your output of the test patch to that bug?

Actually, this is an OpenOffice.org bug. As described in this bug, this same errant dialog occurs on Linux.

Patrick
bluespot
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice Aqua Beta 2 (Intel) regressions

Thank you very much for your prompt answers, I will have a look next Monday (when I'll be back at work...). I'm rather shocked to learn that there are so many regressions from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3 Sad I do think that I will have to come back to Alpha if these bugs can't be solved (I saw that the concerned OOo bug is dated from May 2006 Shocked)

doctype wrote:
bluespot wrote:

No such problem here, MySQL-based Database Files "migrated" perfectly from Alpha 4 to Aqua Beta.

Pretty strange. I even attempted to update the database parameters firstly via MySQL Java driver but there is no field to put the server name (only the database name !!!). Then I could update via the JDBC classname, but the changes aren't taken in account in a subsequent re-opening of the Base file......

(rather pretty bothering as I manage statistics every day and I'm actually stuck because of this bug) *BUT* i want to applause the NeoOffice team for the great Aquafication work !
bluespot
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Hello there,

I've downloaded the latest patch as indicated by Patrick, but unfortunately it didn't solve the network bug Evil or Very Mad

Therefore, it does confirm the infamous OOo bug.

Any hope to get it fixed ? As said before, it's a severe show-stopper for me as I'm regularly working with files on a AFP server : I'll have to reinstall NeoOffice Alpha.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject:

bluespot wrote:
Hello there,

I've downloaded the latest patch as indicated by Patrick, but unfortunately it didn't solve the network bug Evil or Very Mad

Therefore, it does confirm the infamous OOo bug.

Any hope to get it fixed ? As said before, it's a severe show-stopper for me as I'm regularly working with files on a AFP server : I'll have to reinstall NeoOffice Alpha.

I finally traced down the source of this bug and, what a surprise, it was due code added in OOo 2.0.3 by the OOo X11 team. Their code attempts to fix the network file locking bugs that I fixed nearly 2 years ago. What amazes me is not that their code is buggy, but that I have donated well-tested code to them in nearly 18 months ago and they chose to ignore my code and reinvent the wheel.

Anyway, please try out the test patch listed at the end of bug 1663.

Patrick
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I finally traced down the source of this bug and, what a surprise, it was due code added in OOo 2.0.3 by the OOo X11 team. Their code attempts to fix the network file locking bugs that I fixed nearly 2 years ago. What amazes me is not that their code is buggy, but that I have donated well-tested code to them in nearly 18 months ago and they chose to ignore my code and reinvent the wheel.

They said it was too old since it was for OOo 1.1.4 and they were working on OOo 2.0.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
pluby wrote:

They said it was too old since it was for OOo 1.1.4 and they were working on OOo 2.0.

Yup. I remember. Of course, it took me less than a day to merge my OOo 1.1.x changes into the OOo 2.0.x code. Why? Because the OOo 2.0.x file handling code did not change much between OOo 1.1.x and OOo 2.0.x.

In any case, their fix in OOo 2.0.3 doesn't work and is probably worse than no fix in that their fix creates a bunch of empty files before it throws up the cryptic "Can't create backup copy" error.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I remember seeing something in IssueZilla "recently" in a bug about network volumes where one engineer said something like "oh, maybe that's what Patrick's code did" Wink

It would be pure comedy if it didn't adversely affect users so much.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject:

This is yet another reason why as of late I'm coming around to the opinion that we may need to split off from following OOo proper and performing our own code review of new code we incorporate into our source base.

For non Sun-supported platforms, the level of Quality Assurance being performed by OOo as an organization does not meet my personal standards. If freezing out OOo code is the way we prevent regressions due to subpar engineering from creeping into our product, so be it.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
This is yet another reason why as of late I'm coming around to the opinion that we may need to split off from following OOo proper and performing our own code review of new code we incorporate into our source base.

For non Sun-supported platforms, the level of Quality Assurance being performed by OOo as an organization does not meet my personal standards. If freezing out OOo code is the way we prevent regressions due to subpar engineering from creeping into our product, so be it.

ed

I have noticed more code problems, and checking problems, with the Mac code. To few people trying to do to many huge jobs??
<rant - but true?>To many cooks, not enough quality checking of the code? Plus, It does not seem clear if work is focused on Aqua, X11, both or some mixed combination. Lack of ... focus??<rant>
If it was my code, I would be very concerned. Confused I don't have the skill to check the code, but I would be very concerned about the quality of recent Mac code updates.

Philip (sad that 2.0.3 seems to have regressed Sad )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject:

As Patrick ranted above, it is not a problem isolated to the Mac team; some of the new instability is even coming from within Hamburg. The switch to a forced six month release schedule was not accompanied by a similar increase in the quality controls. Any time you try to reduce your standard delivery schedule by 75% something's gotta give.

To be fair, I suspect the schedule was forced upon them by marketing, but still...it's yet another thing that both users and forks that demand stability need to be aware of. "Point" updates coming out of Hamburg are no longer just bugfixes but include non-trival amounts of new, untested code.

ed
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

To be fair, I suspect the schedule was forced upon them by marketing,

That would be the same marketing who released StarOffice 8 based on OOo 2.0 code that wasn't finished yet.

They are genius! Laughing
bluespot
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Anyway, please try out the test patch listed at the end of bug 1663.

The test patch is working pretty fine, thank you very much ! And by the way, it does correct the erractic behaviour I got with the Base files : the database connection parameters are now correctly retrieved.

Besides, it's a real shame this story about network bug ... I nearly felt from my chair !!!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2