· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - saving as .doc fails
saving as .doc fails

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: saving as .doc fails

I have a larger document which I have been putting together in Neo master document. All is fine so far but in some cases I need to send it to some other people for reading/commenting. I can do that fine in pdf format but for commenting it is not very usable. So I tried to convert it to .doc file (first saving it as .odt because master document in Neo 2.0 does not have the .doc export or save as option) but the export would not work. The progress bar simply stops one box from the end, the processor works hard and ... nothing happens. I guess there is some element in my document that prevents it from working, but how can I know which element it is? In all other cases save as.. and export works fine.

Any suggestions of what I could do?
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: saving as .doc fails

bezvardis wrote:

Any suggestions of what I could do?

Send it as an ODT file and advise your friends to stop being a slave to Microsoft.

There are many apps out there that read ODT files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

I always work with master document for my jobs.
I've never done this before, but I have to say that the procedure you describe ( (export odm file to odt and than open it and save as doc file) worked very well for me. I'm using NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 2 patch 0.
The only problem I have is that if file inserted in master document are protected (the default way m.d. works is that you cannot edit text in master document but you have to open single files directly and than update all), than that part is still protected in the doc file.

Valter
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject:

Well, I guess there is some deeply embedded problem in this master document I have, since when I tried to save it on a Linux machine Openoffice, the openoffice crashed every time I tried saving. AbiWord hanged when opening it, so I ended up just copy-paste the whole text from the master document to an ordinary writer file and then saving as .doc. That worked well. I will try making a whole new master document and see if that will still crash. In addition - the master document has some files that were made with Neo1.2 with the older format and some are new odt files, so maybe this adds to the problem.

thanks for replies Smile
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:

valterb wrote:

The only problem I have is that if file inserted in master document are protected (the default way m.d. works is that you cannot edit text in master document but you have to open single files directly and than update all), than that part is still protected in the doc file.

Valter

Have you figured out how to deal with this problem? I just encountered the same problem. Can this protection somehow be switched off?
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Yes, you can.
In Navigator, right click on the first file end then click "edit link".
For every file listed in Section you have to uncheck the "write protection - protected" box and (I believe that also this is necessary) check the "properties - editable in read-only document" box, then click OK and sve the master document.
Now you can apply the procedure: export to odt, open the odt file and save as doc.

It should work.

Valter
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject:

Thank you, Valter. That works. I would have never found this myself...
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject:

You're welcome mate!
You will help me with something else another time. Smile

Valter
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1