· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Wrong printer paper size
Wrong printer paper size

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wge
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject:

i have installed the new version : NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 2 and patch2.

i test with this format 12x24 to print to pdf-format.

the result is a not a 12cmx24 paged pdf but a 12mmx24mm pdf ?

i reinstalled the neoffice 2.0 aqua alpha 4 and everything worked smoothly again.

is there a way i can install both alpha and beta 2 versions , one for working with and the other one for testing purposes ?

OpenOffice.org 2.0.4 on mac
Mac OSX 10.4.7
Fedora 5 OOo 2.0.3
Other
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject:

wge wrote:

Are you sure that you didn't set the page size to "12mm x 24mm" in the Format -> Page dialog? If you have your document settings in Tools -> Options set to millimeters, whatever you input in the Format -> Page dialog will be forced to millimeters.[/quote]

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject:

wge wrote:

I think that I have fixed this bug. Can you please download the following test patch and verify if I have fixed this bug?:

PowerPC:
http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOffice-2.0_Aqua_Beta_2-Patch-2-Test-4-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://www.planamesa.com/test/NeoOffice-2.0_Aqua_Beta_2-Patch-2-Test-4-Intel.dmg

And please, in the future, don't bury a bug in some unrelated forum topic. Instead, file a bug in Bugzilla. It is just by luck that I saw this bug and happened to recognize a pattern. If I hadn't seen your post, a fix wouldn't be in for next week's release and, at that point, several hundred thousand people would get to enjoy the pain of that same bug.

In other words, testing in open source is done by users just like you. Never reporting a bug assures that it will never be fixed.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject:

wge wrote:
is there a way i can install both alpha and beta 2 versions , one for working with and the other one for testing purposes ?

Yes. Simply rename the Alpha 4 version from "NeoOffice" to "NeoOffice Alpha 4" or anything you like, and keep the new version as "NeoOffice". As far as I know, patch installers will not be able to update a NeoOffice installation if it has been renamed, but it's not important since no new patches will be released for Alpha 4.
wge
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

And please, in the future, don't bury a bug in some unrelated forum topic. Instead, file a bug in Bugzilla. It is just by luck that I saw this bug and happened to recognize a pattern. If I hadn't seen your post, a fix wouldn't be in for next week's release and, at that point, several hundred thousand people would get to enjoy the pain of that same bug.

In other words, testing in open source is done by users just like you. Never reporting a bug assures that it will never be fixed.

Patrick

Hello Patrick,
no offense, but did you see the hour on that post ? yes, it was midnight and as a father of 3 sons (little ones, who need lots of attention, specialy overnight), i put this post this night as a reminder. i wanted to file a bug in bugzilla this evening and ... apparantely , it's not necessary anymore Wink.

I will test this evening because i'm still at work for the moment.

but apart from this, you are 100% right that every f*ck*ng bug needs to be filed Smile

Mac OSX 10.4.7
Fedora 5 OOo 2.0.3
Other
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:

wge wrote:
And please, in the future, don't bury a bug in some unrelated forum topic. Instead, file a bug in Bugzilla. It is just by luck that I saw this bug and happened to recognize a pattern. If I hadn't seen your post, a fix wouldn't be in for next week's release and, at that point, several hundred thousand people would get to enjoy the pain of that same bug.no offense, but did you see the hour on that post ? yes, it was midnight and as a father of 3 sons (little ones, who need lots of attention, specialy overnight), i put this post this night as a reminder. i wanted to file a bug in bugzilla this evening and ... apparantely , it's not necessary anymore Wink.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to give you a verbal lashing. I was just trying to highlight a worry that I have: that there are major bugs that many users know about but I don't know about them. Since I don't actually use NeoOffice (it's not terribly useful for writing or debugging code), I always have this nagging worry that I am missing something very big, bad, and obvious.

You may not have realized it was a big bug, but when I saw it I thought "crap, that is a huge print bug" and immediately started work on it.

In the future, if you don't have time to put in Bugzilla but you think it is a big bug, create a new topic. I usually scan new topics quickly several times a day and that will hopefully catch my eye.

Patrick
wge
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Samwise,

If i use both versions alpha 4 and beta2 i get strange results in the alpha4 version. i had no images anymore when printing. i had to remove my neo user preferences, reinstalled the alpha4 package before i could print again.

Patrick,

there is still something fishy . http://home.scarlet.be/~wg547506/alpha4.pdf is the result of my pdf printing in neo alpha4 which is ok

http://home.scarlet.be/~wg547506/beta2_p2.pdf
is the result of my pdf printing in neo beta2 which is not ok. there is somehow a difference of i thing 0.5cm vertically for images, and for text items : 0.5 cm horizontaly and another +1cmvertically.

(margins in both documents are at 0 in printer settings)

Mac OSX 10.4.7
Fedora 5 OOo 2.0.3
Other
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Did Aqua Beta 2 work before you installed Alpha 4 ? I have NeoOffice 20.a4 and 1.2.2 on my external (& boot) drive, and 2.0b2 on my internal drive. So this may be a problem which only occurs when you have to installations of NeoOffice 2.0 on the same drive ...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject:

wge wrote:
there is still something fishy . http://home.scarlet.be/~wg547506/alpha4.pdf is the result of my pdf printing in neo alpha4 which is ok

http://home.scarlet.be/~wg547506/beta2_p2.pdf
is the result of my pdf printing in neo beta2 which is not ok. there is somehow a difference of i thing 0.5cm vertically for images, and for text items : 0.5 cm horizontaly and another +1cmvertically.

(margins in both documents are at 0 in printer settings)

What you are seeing is the result of the fix for bug 1650.

With that fix, NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua Beta 2 now supports the OOo automatic matching of paper size when printing. Up until the fix, you had to not only specify the page size in the Format -> Page menu, but you also then had to set the desired paper size for your printer in File -> Page Settings. This was a long-standing bug and was fixed by doing the following whenever any OOo "set paper size" events are dispatched to the NeoOffice native printer code: the OOo paper size is passed to the native Cocoa "setSize" call and the native Cocoa code will set the paper size to the "best fitting" paper available for the selected printer.

You can see this in your PDF files. Note that the Aqua Beta 2 PDF has slightly smaller dimensions. This shows that the dimensions set in Format -> Page are being matched by the native Cocoa code to a #10 envelope whereas in Alpha 4 you had 24cm x 12cm.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1