Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Scroll arrows don't work(NO 2 AB3/1)
Scroll arrows don't work(NO 2 AB3/1)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oliver_Crangle
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Scroll arrows don't work(NO 2 AB3/1)

Hi,

Just a quick bug report for NeoOffice 2 Aqua Beta 3 with Patch 1 on MacOS X 10.3.9.

I have modified the look of my scroll bars system-wide so that I have an up and down arrow at the top and bottom of the scroll bar.

This appears to render the scroll arrows non-functional in NeoOffice. The arrows are there they just don't work. I can still use the scroll wheel to scroll the document.

I believe the .plist lingo for this is something like
<key>AppleScrollBarVariant</key>
<string>DoubleBoth</string>

but I used TinkerTool.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

The Apple APIs Neo uses to draw the scrollbars don't support this setting for some reason. There's some discussion elsewhere on the forum and in Bugzilla.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Oliver_Crangle,

TinkerTool is probably causing your problem.
When Neo Aqua Beta was first released I had this problem and filed this bug Bugzilla 1600.

It was finally determined that even though TinkerTool exposes API's that Apple already has in the code - NeoOffice Aqua interface can't handle the "non-standard" configuration. Patrick was unable to find the way to map, AND Support, the non-standard setting.
Quote:
Yeah, anything that's changing scrollbars in that way by adding extra buttons is definitely going to break Neo and always will. The basic problem is that both VCL and HITheme really are set up to assume scrollbars only have two buttons. Since we're not using full scrollbar controls and have the two button limitation ourselves, we'll deifnitely not be able to solve that one Sad

Solution: Reset Scrollbars to normal Apple settings.

This was the very first time I ever had a problem with TinkerTool settings. The end result is that anything that modifies standard Mac OS X settings, like Haxies, makes it impossible to support. Sad

Once I reset my scrollbars to normal setting (single at top/bottom or both at bottom) everything worked OK.

Philip (like dual scrollbars, Liked NeoOffice 2.0 Aqua better! Cool )
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject:

Actually, most haxies get along with NeoOffice just fine most of the time on most computers (mostly Smile) - apart from the double-scrolls mentioned above, the only haxie problems I've had have been liveable with and are mostly only a speed problem rather than buggy behaviour, such as ShapeShifter slowing things down a lot. Oh, and just to dispel any confusion, when people write haxie in this forum they mean not just Unsanity haxies but anything that alters system settings behind the scenes (of which TinkerTool is one example).

One I have to watch out for is to remember to turn off my multiple clipboard app (ShdowClipboard or PTHPasteboard or whichever, all cause the same behaviour) when running a macro that does a lot of 'find/replace/shift columns around in a spreadsheet' stuff, or the whole thing goes the way of soap bubbles. But again, I believe that's more to do with the slow speed of my mac, where the clipboard cycle is somehow getting in the way of the macro execution cycle, so possibly not an issue for newer macs. Mostly.

I guess the point that's being made is that if you get weird behaviour in NeoOffice and you're running haxies of any kind, first disable them and see if the weirdness goes away, before reporting a bug. This will reduce unnecessary work for the developers as they'll already know the Neo bug's not caused by haxie conflict.

That's not to say it's not worth posting a 'Neo doesn't work proerly when I'm running this haxie too' thread, as sometimes there's a workaround for the issue.

- padmavyuha
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1