Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Is Symlinking ~/cache-files to local disk ok to do?
Is Symlinking ~/cache-files to local disk ok to do?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jespere
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Is Symlinking ~/cache-files to local disk ok to do?

Hi all. I'm admin some 1200 beta testers for you guys – running Aqua beta 3 on my school on around 600 Mac:s ranging from B&W G3s to Intel iMacs!

We're using roamed userhomes – so now I'm thinking about symlinking all those cache-folders from the ~/Libary/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x/ to the local harddrives to gain a bit of speed.

The NeoOffice-2.x-folder has an ability to gain weight after a time of usage, and I'd like to get the most speed possible for Neo.

Are there any thoughts about this symlinking with Neo-cachefolders? I've located a few, aswell as the imagecache-folder.

At every logout I'm trashing all locally saved preferences for a bunch of applications so the Mac:s are clean of former users caches.

Later,
/Jesper
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject:

It should be OK to do the symlinking as Neo uses POSIX style paths. Aliases may not work, however, but symlinks should be OK.

ed
jespere
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:

Excellent. I'm using the symlinks now on my 1200 beta testers...

Just a thought about placement of cachefiles in the ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x/ folder – shouldn't they be better off in the /Library/Caches folder for default?

It would be much better in my environment anyway...

This is not a specific Neo-problem, but more the way OS X works. But with roamed user-homes many applications gets dreadfully slow with cach or temp folders in the user-home on the servers. So I'm symlinking as many cache-folders as possible – althu quite a few isn't working if sym-linked.

But the symlinking seems to do fine with Neo!

Thanks,
Jesper
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject:

Ideally yes, the cache files should go in the standard cache location. Unfortunately, right now we haven't really changed the way the per-user directory layout from what OOo expects. Normally OOo puts it in the user's home directory; we just moved it into the Preferences subdir to make backups a bit easier. The majority of the information is the user specific application configuration (which is the same format as OOo) but unforunately there are some things in there that make no sense, like the cache files.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1