· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo Template/Clipart Competition
OOo Template/Clipart Competition

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: OOo Template/Clipart Competition

FYI. If any of you are working on templates or clipart for NeOffice, you might want to check this out:

http://documentation.openoffice.org/contests/template_clipart_2006/announce.html

Not only is getting your templates or clipart into OOo a guaranteed way to get your files into NeoOffice, but you also have a chance to win some small prize money for your creative efforts.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:

I thought this was an interesting and inflammatory take on the competition:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/index.php?p=801

Like most ZDNN blogs it's not terribly informative, but I find some of the commentary hilarious (and some spot on).

Needless to say, I disagree.

I think here we've done a reasonable job of disseminating help and filtering it so it's relevant.

FOSS support is not an Achilles' heel...it is rather the greatest strength of NeoOffice. Granted, we've benefitted from having a project with very tight goals focused specifcially on a small Mac user community. We're in the hundreds of thousands based on download figures, and it's amazing we can help a community that is already that large!

Such a high caliber of support has only been possible due to the dedication of our community through volunteering time staffing the fora and contributing to our wiki (which is very relevent, thank you very much random ZDNN blogger) and through all of the donations that continue to allow us to have full time development support for this project to help speed along bug fixes and patches. While we're nowhere close to the 24/7 support some customers need, I think we're all doing a great job. We can help the majority of the patient casual users, patient home users, and patient students who can't afford to pay for the ability to call someone Smile And yet somehow we can still be more responsive than Microsoft Question Go all'y'all! Laughing

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Ed, Rolling Eyes

Sigh, One has to learn to read ZDnet.com posts - throwing out the ... mindless responses. Seems people have ... many opinions. Crying or Very sad

I see lots of quality support on these fora! Thanks to ALL of the GREAT community members!! Cool

I did find the one post that suggests "Charge a small fee for the newest version, make older version available for free" Exclamation
That ... sounds familar Rolling Eyes

Philip ( What the Heck am I doing on this fora?!? Helping others! Gasp! Wink )

\ que ninjas!
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Competition

The OpenOffice.org clipart competition is now complete, and there are some useful small clipart collections here,especially the teacher clipart and new bullets. If you are looking for instructions to put these into your own installation of NeoOffice, look here in the neowiki.

We were working on a collection of 500 specially selected pics from the openclipart collection, but that project has stalled until we can find someone willing to host it.

Peter
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition

aussie149 wrote:
We were working on a collection of 500 specially selected pics from the openclipart collection, but that project has stalled until we can find someone willing to host it.

How much space do you need?
I can create a 10 GB ftp account with my internet provider (but the domain will be login.free.fr, tell me which login you want).
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition

val1984 wrote:
aussie149 wrote:
We were working on a collection of 500 specially selected pics from the openclipart collectionj, but that project has stalled until we can find someone willing to host it.

How much space do you need?
I can create a 10 GB ftp account with my internet provider (but the domain will be login.free.fr, tell me which login you want).

Hi val. Thanks for your generous offer. The concern was not the size of the space to hold our files. The problem is the download allocation.

I imagine that, if we had only a fraction of the users of NeoOffice downloading this collection, the size of downloads would still be big.

A complete guess: if we have a collection taking up 25MB, and it is downloaded by 1000 users* a month, that's 25GB a month allocation needed. Is my maths. correct?

Regards
Peter

* I think 1000 a month is about 1% of the people who download NeoOffice per month?
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Competition

aussie149 wrote:
Hi val. Thanks for your generous offer. The concern was not the size of the space to hold our files. The problem is the download allocation.

I don't know which/if there are limitations but I will tell you as soon as I know.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1