Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Shortcuts for special characters
Shortcuts for special characters

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaveloff
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Shortcuts for special characters

Is it possible to assign a shortcut key combination to a symbol/special character?
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:

You can use an autotext.
Insert your special character in a document, select it. Then
Menu -> Edit -> AutoText
select My autotexts, choose a name and a shortcut. Click on the drop down menu AutoText, click on New and close the window AutoText.
When you want to insert the special character, you have to enter your shortcut and press F3.
Hope that helps.
Jacqueline
zaveloff
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. That helps.

I noticed also that a quite a few special characters can be produced with the option key (or shift/option) + a letter or number. However, I have not been able to figure out any logical assignment. I also could night find anything in the NeoOffice Help that lists these. Is there a list somewhere?
zaveloff
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject:

One more thing. Is is possible to replace what is assigned to the key?
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject:

i) The 'special characters inserted using the alt key' is a feature of OSX itself, not of NeoOffice - you can see which keys do what in any particular font in your language by going to (in English:) System Preferences, clicking on International, choosing the Input Menu tab and enabling Keyboard Viewer.
Then you'll get a new icon in your menubar with a flag on it - here you can call down a menu and click on Show Keyboard Viewer - then in the resulting keyboard layout display, try holding down the alt key, and then shift-alt to see the available options.
In the Input Menu mentioned above, you can also enable keyboard layouts for different languages, which you can then switch between using either the menubar item or a keyboard shortcut (usually cmd-spacebar) - that way, if there are particular accents or characters that are available in other languages than the one you're using, you have quick access to them through the keyboard (if you can remember the layout! otherwise use the Keyboard Viewer to remind yourself...)

ii) You can indeed edit which keys do what in your keyboard layout using a utility such as Ukelele, but it's a delicate business - always save your modified layout with a different name from the main system one you started with, so you can go back to the unmodified version if you mess something up.

An alternative way to assign a special character to a keystroke in NeoOffice is to record a macro while entering the special character from the Insert-Special Character menu item, and then assign that macro to a NeoOffice-available keystroke - I wrote a long spiel about how to do this in a thread somewhere but I can't find it! If you can't figure out how to do that from the Help, send me a PM nd I'll write it up again.

- padmavyuha
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject:

zaveloff wrote:
Thanks. That helps.

I noticed also that a quite a few special characters can be produced with the option key (or shift/option) + a letter or number. However, I have not been able to figure out any logical assignment. I also could night find anything in the NeoOffice Help that lists these. Is there a list somewhere?

These are a standard feature of Mac text entry (and which keys produce which characters vary by the keyboard layout you have selected).

The easiest way to see what will do what is to go to the International pane of the (Mac OS X) System Preferences; in that pane, choose the "Input Menu" tab. Click the checkbox next to "Keyboard Viewer"; this will add the Keyboard Viewer to your Input (flag) menu in the menubar. When you choose the KV from the menu, you see an on-screen keyboard, and pressing key combinations will show you projected results, e.g. pressing option will show you the characters produced by opt+key, and keys with a large border around them are "dead keys" which can be used to compose more keys--on US QWERTY, opt-e is the dead key for the acute accent, so opt-e and then e produces é.

Other keyboards have different dead keys and characters available, e.g. US Extended has dead keys for macrons and has characters relevant to many European languages, Roman transliteration systems, etc., and the Unicode Hex Input keyboard allows you to enter any character encoded by Unicode by simply holding down opt while entering the character's value, so ሴ is opt-1234.

You can make your own keyboard layout, or customize an existing one, by using software like SIL's Ukelele.

Hope this helps Smile

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject:

Tag team!
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Tag team!

And I arrive a bit too late Exclamation
Don't want to repeat once more Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Tag team!

Smile

Smokey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject:

I've just switched from Word. In Word I remember holding ctrl then punching in 4 'digits' to produce the special characters. That doesn't work here? I have to use the keyboard viewer?? Then, what does the "U+xxxx" mean on the special characters window?

Thanks!
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject:

noob wrote:
I've just switched from Word. In Word I remember holding ctrl then punching in 4 'digits' to produce the special characters.

You can do that if you activate the Unicode Hex Input keyboard (well, it's option + the 4 digits).

Activating Keyboards

Or you can use/make a keyboard layout that includes the characters you want to use frequently.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1