Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo Slooooowwww!
Neo Slooooowwww!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Neo Slooooowwww!

See the sig line for my system. With the installation of the latest patch, Neo has slowed to a response speed as infuriatingly slow as the old NeoOffice/J. Which is to say, it's now unusable for all practical purposes.

Worse yet, I installed the latest patch on my wife's machine, which is a G4 533MhZ with 768MB RAM. Neo's so slow on that box that it might as well not be running. I'm talking about clicking the mouse, and waiting over a minute, with a system beachball, for the click to be displayed. (I'm clicking in table cells.)

Anybody got an idea of what's going on here, or have an idea for a cure? I'm aware that more memory is a good idea. You can't ever have too much memory, and however much you have isn't enough. But Neo was working acceptably well on both platforms until this latest patch was installed, and now it's nearly dead.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Nothing other than bug fixes were in the latest patch. Have you looked at what else is running on your system by running the following command in a Terminal? The CPU% represents real CPU use and the RSIZE represents real memory use:

Code:
top -s 30

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

"...iMac G3 500MHz, 384MB..." well, that explains that...

Now, for the G4 while 800MHz would be better, 768MB of RAM should be plenty so I agree with Pat, it must be something else. Let us know what top says.
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

I thought of that, and quit all apps. Ran Top, and it showed 87-93% CPU. RSIZE=128M; VSIZE=526MB.

I rebooted, opened a new writer doc.
Got good, and expected, response typing in the new doc. So I opened a new report template, which is 13 pages of appraisal report with a bunch of controls, and many tables. Typing response when filling out the input fields was acceptable, until we got to the second page. At that point it began to lag keyboard input by about 1 second. Key down-1 sec-letter appears. Buffer in a word or two, wait a second, whole phrase appears. The insertion bar cursor freezes during these lags. (Java VM, maybe?)

So I opened the doc where the freeze occurs. It's still frozen, with extremely long delays between keydown and response, and delays just as long with mouse response.

In the new report template that I opened, all the checkbox controls "flash" as I type, i.e., they disappear and reappear.

These delays don't occur in other apps. Terminal works fine, as does TextEdit and Filemaker Pro. Mail and Safari work fine.

Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
"...iMac G3 500MHz, 384MB..." well, that explains that...

Now, for the G4 while 800MHz would be better, 768MB of RAM should be plenty so I agree with Pat, it must be something else. Let us know what top says.
I appreciate your attempt to help, but if you read the post, the little machine is faster than the G4. That's what's got me perplexed. I've been very amazed that this little G3 can run Neo at all, and I wouldn't be as mystified if it were crapping out and beachballing on me.

On this little G3, the control checkboxes flash and the screen display lags, and it's ponderously slow, but still usable. On the G4 with more memory, you can't even use that template which I referred to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Impossible. A 500MHz G3 w/ 384MB RAM can't outperform a 533Mhz G4 w/768MB RAM. Moving forward, are you saying Neo is using 93% of the CPU with everything else closed?

Then yes, it probably is Neo.

Can you go back to the previous version of Neo that you were running acceptably?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Well, I have been seeing issues with the autosave feature. It shows a progress bar with 'saving document' and then a rapid flashing between 'exporting the document' and progress bars that fill up almost instantly.

I was using a 110 page document, so no really lightweight stuff here. Don't know if it is related.

Other than that I haven't really seen any big speed issues..

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Jim wrote:
On this little G3, the control checkboxes flash and the screen display lags, and it's ponderously slow, but still usable. On the G4 with more memory, you can't even use that template which I referred to.

While working on a fix for bug 1853 today, I used your template file in that bug. What I noticed in the last few minutes was that when I make the zoom percentage in the View :: Zoom menu go below 100%, the CPU usage jumps up significantly when you scroll into the part of the template that has native checkboxes.

I am debugging this issue. In the meantime, try setting the zoom progressively larger until the CPU usage drops.

Patrick
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,
I'll have a go at increasing the zoom. At present, I'm working at 125%.

Try entering values in that template until you get into the second page of the form which starts on page 3. See if your machine slows down noticeably. In the alternative, I can sanitize an actual report complete with graphics and send it to you for testing purposes if you think it'll be helpful. (I know you couldn't care less about someone else's property appraisal, but their contents are confidential to the client.)

Honestly, this equipment of mine has been far outrun by OSX; I'm not even going to run Panther until I get new equipment, probably sometime after Christmas. So do keep in mind the nature of the antiques I'm running. Maybe dual-core Intels with 2 GB RAM and a hard disk the size of a septic tank will help a little. Smile

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:

<edit: last two posts occured while I was drafting this message. Patrick knows ... all! Wink >

Well, It "should Not" be the newest patch, but computers are strange beings. Rolling Eyes
Items to check, in addition to NeoOffice 2.0 beta3 code problems (after Patch #2)
Why would it should happen just after Patch 2 - who knows. Best to check.

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Tips#Performance
- Low Memory - problems noted
- G3 vs G4 - problems noted

- Corrupted Fonts? Different results on different machines What is different??
Time to check (again?) for corrupted fonts
- Large number of fonts?
- other corruption of the document??

- Haxies and haxie-like programs?
- Other background applications (Seti@Home, Folding@Home, other)? TinkerTool
- Corrupted user preference files - (move your NeoOffice preferences folder aside,
NeoOffice 2.x: ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x )
- Java Shared Archive corrupted?
- not (yet) listed??

- "Random" Combinitation of the above?!?

Like any computer, things can go wrong that are not directly related to application that fails. or not!
I'm sure that Patrick is trying to find out what is causing "your" problem, and resolve it. So many variables - so little time!

Philip ( Computers! Darn things are soooooooo complex, and picky about their environment Crying or Very sad )
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject:

This is gettin' spooky. I displayed Top to check CPU usage while monkeying around with the zoom. While Neo's idle, it's using 75-80% of the CPU. When I click on Neo, CPU use DROPS to 37% while the click on Neo is being processed. As long as nothing is happening, Top shows CPU use hovering at about 87%. As soon as I click in the doc, usage actually drops. Current use, with Safari active and Neo doing nothing, is
Top 9.5%
soffice.bin up to 63%
Safari up to about 28%

WTF?

Tim McNamara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Slightly different oddity

I found one oddity after the update, different than the OP. Response to the backspace key is markedly slow, with the mouse cursor flashing each time the backspace key is pressed. It looks like for a split second it moves a few pixels up to the left and back, or for a split second displays the beach ball. Holding down the backspace key results in very slow movement of the insertion point backwards. Everything else I have tried seems to work fine.

iBook G4 1.33 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 10.4.8.
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject:

Tim McNamara wrote:
Response to the backspace key is markedly slow, with the mouse cursor flashing each time the backspace key is pressed. It looks like for a split second it moves a few pixels up to the left and back, or for a split second displays the beach ball. Holding down the backspace key results in very slow movement of the insertion point backwards.
iBook G4 1.33 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 10.4.8.

I have exactly the same problem on a similar system. I thought it being a bug and reported it in Bugzilla. Forward delete goes OK with no problems.

I also suspect that the last patch introduced some issues of compatibility with MS word regarding fonts since recently I am opening MS word files sent to me where the fonts are chaotic and so it seems happens with my MS word friends who receive my files. But I have not enough time to test if this really is so or just a co-incidence.
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Patrick Rules!

I posted a bug report complaining about the checkbox form controls not displaying properly, but printing OK.

In about 24 hours, Patrick fixed it and posted a test patch. Reduced the problem from super funky to usable.

But the test patch also seems to have fixed the lousy performance problem that I talked about in this thread. We definitely need to keep this guy well-supplied with adult beverages, assorted snack food, and pizza.

Patrick, thanks once again for a great job. I'm glad I subscribed to Neo instead of opting for the el-cheapo one-time download of aqua.

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Patrick Rules!

Jim wrote:
We definitely need to keep this guy well-supplied with adult beverages, assorted snack food, and pizza.

I thought it was the other NeoOffice developer that lived on such fare. Come to think of it, I have seen very little of Patrick's preferences or habits cross the screen here... Wink

But he certainly delivers, if possible.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2