NeoOffice :: View topic - patch 10 for power pc
patch 10 for power pc

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gringaenojona
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: patch 10 for power pc

hi, all,

i have a problem concerning the patch 10.

neooffice told me several time (after crashes) to install it, but even downloading it several times i could not do it!
it should be just clicking on it and it will run like all other dmg's, right?
however, i get the message: no mountable file system.

sorry for maybe being stupid or repeating questions, but i really could not find the solution and i bet its just a mistake I made.

Any suggestions are welcome!

la gringa
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

la gringa:

When I downloaded and applied patch 10 (for PPC), it worked as all the other ones have: a dmg file appears on my desktop, I double click and the drive icon appears; opening the "drive" reveals a package icon; double clicking on that starts the install program.

I am guessing that something went wrong with the download of the patch. You might want to try to follow the instructions in the wiki for using curl:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Using_curl_to_download_NeoOffice

The instructions there are for downloading the program, but I think it should work for the patch, too, as long as the urls are adjusted for the patch url. Having said that, I'm no expert in that department, so someone else might correct me Smile
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps your browser is unable to download the .dmg completely, and thus you get a corrupted disk image. First, I would suggest trying another browser, and if it still doesn't work, I'd suggest downloading the patch using curl from the Terminal as described in the Wiki.

You may have noticed the number next to the download link, on the patch download page. This is the "byte count" for the patch's disk image. In the Finder, if you select the downloaded .dmg, ctrl-click and choose "Get Info", a window will show up, containing information about the file. You'll see the size (in MB), but also the byte count (in bytes). Compare this value to that of the download page : if they don't match, then the disk image is incomplete, and should not be used (usually, you'll get an error message like "no mountable file system" if the disk image has a problem).

Edit : I see Lorinda types faster than I do Smile My link to the Wiki is the same as the link she posted BTW

Last edited by Samwise on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject:

Seems that our new user speaks spanish... Gringa enojona = American woman that often irritate! Well, first she become violent, I will provide her a translation in spanish of the article in WIKI:

Cómo usar un “curl” para descargar NeoOffice
Por la NeoWiki

curl es una línea de comando para una herramienta de descarga. Es muy útil cuando se tiene una conexión poco estable o cuando tu explorador de internet se cuelga o se detiene antes de terminar la descarga de algunos ficheros. Ha sucedido que algunas combinaciones de exploradores y conexiones de internet tienen frecuentemente este problema con algunos parches de NeoOffice.
Si tras descargar un fichero *.dmg de la página de descargas de NeoOffice descubres que el parche o el programa no se puede instalar porque aparece un error del tipo: “No mountable file systems” o algo similar puede ser que el problema sea una descarga incompleta.
Puedes usar estas instrucciones para descargar NeoOffice (o, si es necesario, para completar una descarga no terminada) y los parches de NeoOffice también (solamente has de sustituir el URL al parche por el URL al “full binary” en las instrucciones).
[edit]
Cómo usar curl para descargar una versión de NeoOffice
Para usar un curl, sigue los siguientes pasos:
1.Abre una ventana de Terminal (/Applicaciones/Utilidades/Terminal.app)

2.cd al directorio (carpeta) donde quieras que la descarga .dmg de NeoOffice quede y apreta retorno
Si quieres dejarlo en el Escritorio, basta con escribir cd ~/Desktop y apretar retorno
(asegúrate de escribir bien el símbolo ~, que es el atajo de UNYX para tu usuario o carpeta personal)

3.Visita la página de descarga de NeoOffice con tu explorador y elige el lugar que usarás (si sabes de un sitio de descarga cercano a donde vives, úsalo; si no, puedes escoger el primero) y haz ctrl + click sobre el link. Escoge Copy Link Location (o algo similar de acuerdo con lo que indique tu explorador de internet) en el menú contextual que aparecerá.

4.Vuelve a Terminal y escribe los siguientes comandos, sin apretar retorno:

curl -C - -O

(ésta última se trata de la letra o, no el cero).

5.Luego presiona la barra espaciadora y pega el link que copiaste de tu explorador.
El comando completo se vará algo así como lo siguiente:

curl -C - -O http://www.mirror.com/path/to/NeoOffice-Version.dmg

6.Apreta retorno y la descarga comenzará.

7.Si necesitas desconectarte por alguna razón, apretando control-c detendrás la descarga.

8.Si la descarga “termina” muy pronto (puedes comparar el tamaño del *.dmg con el que aparecen en la página de descargas de NeoOffice) o fue interrumpido por cualquier otra razón, basta con que repitas todo el comando (si la ventana de Terminal está todavía abierta, aprieta la tecla de la flecha que va hacia arriba, lo cual hará aparecer el último comando escrito de manera que no tengas que volver a escribirlo; luego aprieta retorno.
Repite este paso hasta que el tamaño del fichero descargado (*.dmg) sea el mismo que el que se indica en la página de descargas de NeoOffice. Luego podrás instalarlo sin problemas.
Zenmind
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject:

I too had many issues trying to mount this yesterday on my ppc powerbook - like 5 times. I said screw it and deleted it. I also downloaded another time a new downloaded version of the patch and it took re: the opening of the patch and application of it. I cannot figure out why it did tthat. It never did that before.

On my Macbook pro and the intel version I had no issue.

So there must be some problem since I wasn't the only one that had this issue.

weird eh?
gringaenojona
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: patch 10 for power pc

oh! Thank yu very much! That was easy, I just took Safari for downloading instead of Firefox and....everything went smooth (sorry for just replying now, but I could not access the Neooffice download site for 3 days).
Thanx again!

La gringa
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

gringaenojona wrote:
(sorry for just replying now, but I could not access the Neooffice download site for 3 days)

That's not your fault - planamsea.com was unavailable for a while. You'll find more info in the Fuzkd servers section.
videoflyer
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Huh. I was also having problems with the downloaded file not being recognized as a proper .dmg - this being with Firefox. So, I tried downloading the patch with Safari but Safari can't seem to download more than about 173K before giving me a failed download error message.

In fact, none of my browsers have succeeded in downloading a complete and functional .dmg so my NeoOffice install is stalled on Patch 0.

Am I doing something wrong?

Neal
"If morons could fly it'd be pitch black." - Anonymous
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject:

videoflyer wrote:
Huh. I was also having problems with the downloaded file not being recognized as a proper .dmg - this being with Firefox. So, I tried downloading the patch with Safari but Safari can't seem to download more than about 173K before giving me a failed download error message.

In fact, none of my browsers have succeeded in downloading a complete and functional .dmg so my NeoOffice install is stalled on Patch 0.

Am I doing something wrong?

It's not you, it's the internet Razz (or maybe your ISP). For some reason, the connection between your computer and the NeoOffice mirror(s) is not stable enough to finish the download properly.

Since neither Safari nor Firefox are properly finishing the download for you, your best bet is to use the "curl" method described here.

Smokey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Nice avatar Roy!

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules/Forums/images/avatars/galery/115.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules/Forums/images/avatars/gallery/115.gif

note to self - check spelling
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1