Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - trouble with formulas since latest patch, PPC version
trouble with formulas since latest patch, PPC version

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monophonic
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: trouble with formulas since latest patch, PPC version

Hi, im running NeoOffice2.0 (language: german) on my MacBook and on my old G4. On my G4 my formulas look like this:

When i open the same document on my MacBook the formula looks as usual. This problem wasnt there before the latest patch and pertains greek letters and brackets.

bug? my mistake??

btw: because this is my first post i want to say that im a big fan of NeoOffice. Im studying economics and the power of Neos LaTex-style formula editing makes it indispensable for me. Very Happy ... right now at least on my MacBook Rolling Eyes
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject:

The bad news is that this is a well known OpenOffice.org bug. If you double-click on the embedded formula, it will display properly. However, when viewed within a Writer document, OpenOffice.org mangles the display.

The good news is that in the upcoming NeoOffice 2.1 release, we will be including Novell's open-source enhancements to OpenOffice.org that has some fixes for this bug.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject:

BTW. Since it does work on one of your machines, are you running OpenOffice.org X11 on one of your machines? If so, you may be able to work around the problem by rebooting and *not* running OpenOffice.org X11 before you run NeoOffice.

The reason that OpenOffice.org X11 may be an issue is that OOo X11 uses a tool called "fondu" to make copies of all your system fonts so that X11 can see those fonts. Unfortunately, this font duplication can cause some rather nasty font conflicts for native applications like NeoOffice.

Patrick
monophonic
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject:

no.

i do run NeoOffice on both. I never really used OpenOffice.org. To be honest: it wasnt "mac enough" for me Embarassed Its not even on my comp anymore.

What confuses me is i never had this problem before the latest patch.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject:

monophonic wrote:
What confuses me is i never had this problem before the latest patch.

No font rendering changes were made in the latest patch.

What happens when you double-click on formula? Do the formulas look normal in the formula editor that appears?

Patrick
monophonic
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject:

yes, the formula looks correct in the editor.

I just found out something new: when i do a new writer document with a formula on my G4 everything works well. But when i open stuff i did on my MacBook that stuff occurs.

Sorry for not testing this before - i usually start my stuff on my MacBook, it didnt come to my mind to test it that way.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:

monophonic wrote:
yes, the formula looks correct in the editor.

I just found out something new: when i do a new writer document with a formula on my G4 everything works well. But when i open stuff i did on my MacBook that stuff occurs.

Sorry for not testing this before - i usually start my stuff on my MacBook, it didnt come to my mind to test it that way.

This sounds exactly like the known OpenOffice.org bug. Did any of these documents ever get created or edited on Windows?

Patrick
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I've had a similar problem (maybe the same one) once on an iMac G5, with an earlier version of Neo (during the EAP, I think, but I don't remember exactly). My "old" documents looked normal on my PowerBook. When I checked the fonts in the pop-up menu, on the iMac, I didn't see OpenSymbol. I fixed the problem in reinstalling Neo.
Perhaps you can have a look in the fonts pop-menu ?

Jacqueline
Edit: I remember that I have filled a bug (1419), closed as WFM.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
I've had a similar problem (maybe the same one) once on an iMac G5, with an earlier version of Neo (during the EAP, I think, but I don't remember exactly). My "old" documents looked normal on my PowerBook. When I checked the fonts in the pop-up menu, on the iMac, I didn't see OpenSymbol. I fixed the problem in reinstalling Neo.
Perhaps you can have a look in the fonts pop-menu ?

Good point. In some cases, the new OpenSymbol font installed with Neo 2.0 Aqua Beta 3 does not get loaded if it was loaded from another application.

You don't need to reinstall NeoOffice to try fixing this. Instead, just reboot and launch NeoOffice. Rebooting will force Mac OS X to start with a clean slate of fonts.

Patrick
monophonic
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

This sounds exactly like the known OpenOffice.org bug. Did any of these documents ever get created or edited on Windows?

no - but if it sounds like that bug i´ll try to get my hands on 2.1 as soon as it is available. In the meantime i´ll try and just reinstall Neo.

Thanks!

max / mono
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject:

monophonic wrote:
no - but if it sounds like that bug i´ll try to get my hands on 2.1 as soon as it is available. In the meantime i´ll try and just reinstall Neo.

I recommend rebooting instead of reinstalling. Reinstalling won't force Mac OS X to unload the stale font reference but rebooting will.

Patrick
monophonic
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

I recommend rebooting instead of reinstalling. Reinstalling won't force Mac OS X to unload the stale font reference but rebooting will.

For me as somebody who has no idea what happenes "under the hood" - this is hard to believe. But i´ll give this a try first.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject:

monophonic wrote:
pluby wrote:

For me as somebody who has no idea what happenes "under the hood" - this is hard to believe. But i´ll give this a try first.
Monophonic, I know that all this "stuff" can be very confusing. Confused

Patrick is Very KNOWLEDGEABLE in how all this stuff works.
If he suggests something it's a very good idea to try what he says.
I can't count the number of times he has suggested something that either FIXed the problem, or tracked down what was really causing the problem.
I have worked with computers for almost 40 years and I still get confused in how some of this stuff works. Embarassed

Sometimes it's better try the suggestions - it's better than nothing?

Philip ( The more I learn, the LESS I know! Wink )
monophonic
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:

I do not doubt what Patrick says. Its just... in my Windows days reinstalling was the easiest way to fix problems. Thats why its still strange for me to accept that rebooting is better then reinstalling. Rolling Eyes
Whatever: i will reboot the next time the problem occurs.

thanks
max
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject:

monophonic wrote:
LemonAid wrote:

I do not doubt what Patrick says. Its just... in my Windows days reinstalling was the easiest way to fix problems. Thats why its still strange for me to accept that rebooting is better then reinstalling. Rolling Eyes
Whatever: i will reboot the next time the problem occurs.

thanks
max
I understand that is sounds strange. Idea Macs act differently than Windows systems.
On "MS Windows" I have to reboot all the time, and the major way to fix big problems is to ... re-install.
That is true even for Windows Operating System bugs. Mad
To me , that sounds like buying a new car because the ash tray is full - a Very strange way to do things. Rolling Eyes

Personal computers load a lot of "stuff" into memory (and/or caches) when they are turned on. That stuff can remain in memory even after the program that uses it is closed. Sometime, things get ... stuck in memory (like caches of available fonts) and cause problems. The computer is not smart enough to get a New copy from the hard drive because it thinks the copy in the cache is good (details made Very simple to protect the innocent Wink ).
Throw in Virtual Memory, Caching, and a bunch of other strange stuff and it's a wonder that it all works as well as it does. Confused

Just remember, Macs work differently than Windows PC.
Sometimes the rules of the game are changed and you have change how you work with things.
I hear some Mac owners complain whenever they have to re-boot their computer (Systems patches and/or major things like that).
    I was surprised to learn that ALL new cars are fuel injected and their aren't carborators anymore? Embarassed
    Just shows how much I look under the hood of cars! Rolling Eyes

I'm not saying this just for you, max, but for all the other folks who have similar questions, or don't understand why some things work differently in the Mac world. Sometime the suggestions Patrick (and others) make "sound" so strange to me. But time and again they helped resolve the problems so I quit worrying and starts doing.

Philip ( That was Zen, This is Tao! Cool )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1