Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - MWSF 2007 [iPod = iPhone !!!!]
MWSF 2007 [iPod = iPhone !!!!]

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: MWSF 2007 [iPod = iPhone !!!!]

Let's see what Apple has come up with this time ...

Last edited by Samwise on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject:

First announcement : iTV (now Apple TV).

40 GB HD, 802.11n as expected, same as described at WWDC, $299.

Wow : Widesreen iPod, and Apple cell phone, and "internet communicator" ... all-in-one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:

This thing is awesome !

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject:

The keynote is over. Only two announcements today : iTV and iPhone. The iPhone seems to be an extremely good product, but lacks storage capacity (only 4/8 GB), will only be available in June (US first, rest of the world later), and is very pricey ($499/599).

Apple Store is still down ATM.

Edit : Apple Store is now back online, and it looks like Macs will have to wait a little longer for an update ...

Last edited by Samwise on Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject:

The keynote feed I was reading mentioned that it uses a mobile version of Mac OS X.

Will NeoOffice run on it? Cool
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject:

Grin,

That Picture make the iPhone look ... HUGE!! Shocked

Should be enough room for just about ... anything inside. Wink

Philip (just kidding - NeoOffice EAP vs iPhone! arrrrgh!?! Crying or Very sad )
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject:

ok. first "RUNS OSX!"

uh huh. like windows CE was windows? i bet they had to strip out aqua just for performance. so... no, it doesn't run OSX, it runs a variation.

4 gigs of space? does the OS live on that? if so, you are losing quite a bit to the os. probably it is slightly larger where 4 gig is the free space... but still...

and all me to retort... $600!!!!! that is ps3 price range. PLAYSTATION 3!!

and that is WITH your two year agreement.

ok now rant on:
I WANTED STUFF FOR MY COMPUTER! SOFTWARE! HARDWARE! SOMETHING THAT MADE ME PRETEND APPLE STILL LOVED US MAC GUYS.

sigh. Apple TV is still blah. i figured out a good way to explain it. it is all about content direction.

apple wants you to get content from your computer (and the interwebs) to your tv. that is great and all, but unlike itunes you can'd do that with movies you buy in a store. i still contend that the movie price at itunes is too high.

mac tivotogo was released, here is the right idea. content goes from the tv (well, cable box) to your computer. there you can move it to your laptop, ipod or even burn it to DVD. content is moving from the cable to computer, in a more logical progression.

so if i pay for cable, apple thinks i should buy an apple tv to add to the clutter by my tv to watch the three movies and maybe four shows i download from the itunes store?

don't get me totally wrong, the Apple TV is neat. i'd get one if money was no issue, but it is an issue. i'm am already paying for content via my cable bill. i already have a DVD player. i just don't see the jump apple is trying to ask us to make.

-j, who will probably rant more later
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:

Well, Apple TV...it doesn't kick out video for those of us who have "old school" TVs with regular NTSC/PAL input only. Who ever thought that TVs would be forced into the technological update cycle. I think it is a good idea as I do download TV shows from iTunes and like to watch them on my TV, but I'm not gonna run out and buy a new TV when overall it's cheaper to just get a laptop with NTSC video out and hook that up to the TV. Ironically I just happen to have one now... Wink

iPhone. I want to play with it from the tech angle and see how programmable it is and what chip is inside of it (the Intel low-power x86, or ARM?) and to get more technical details on the software stack (does it do Java MIDP/CDC?). No memory expansion slot...slightly unusual. I can see how folks hate being tied to Cingular.

Touch screens are nice and all but it's difficult to find buttons if you're not looking at the phone. Forget dialing when you're driving if you have to take your eyes off the road (unless they do something clever like integrate VoiceOver for the keypad...). It's bad enough what drivers do with thier phones already Smile

I'm also dismayed at the ongoing fetish for integrating QWERTY keyboard layouts into mobile devices. Come on...the only reason for the key layout is touch typing (well, and preventing typewriter keys from jamming, but that's no longer the primary reason). There has to be a better way. Gesture input perhaps? I'm sure the predictive text will help, but the geek in me says there must be a better solution.

ed
human
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject:

I think it's also telling of the overall direction in which Apple is moving that as of yesterday, they dropped "Computer" from the company name. Now it's just Apple Inc. We Mac folk like to think of Apple as competing head-to-head with Microsoft, but I think it's more accurate to say the folks at Cupertino are setting their sights on Sony.

jakeOSX wrote:

ok now rant on:
I WANTED STUFF FOR MY COMPUTER! SOFTWARE! HARDWARE! SOMETHING THAT MADE ME PRETEND APPLE STILL LOVES US MAC GUYS.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
ok now rant on:
I WANTED STUFF FOR MY COMPUTER! SOFTWARE! HARDWARE! SOMETHING THAT MADE ME PRETEND APPLE STILL LOVED US MAC GUYS.

Most disappointing MacWorld. EVER.

jakeOSX wrote:

Smokey, who will probably do the same

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject:

seriously! couldn't they have at least thrown us a crappy ilife update? sheesh!

no memory slot? didn't notice that. that is a bad idea i think. but then, thesteve knows better...

um. right?
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

I agree.

And I already have a kind of Apple TV. My ISP, Free.fr, lends every customer a set top box which has a 40 GB hard drive, HDMI, SCART, 802.11n (sort of) and it enables watching IPTV, recording it, watching Full HD programs etc.

And what about Leopard? Sad

Last edited by val1984 on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject:

I was really thrilled when Steve announced the iPhone. However, I must admit that this MacWorld is disappointing (much more than any other keynotes I've seen, but in a different way) ...
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
jakeOSX wrote:
ok now rant on:

jakeOSX wrote:

Smokey, who will probably do the same
YEA!!!

Those DARN Apple (not Computer) Inc guys.
It's their own Darn fault that they have so many great products/additions (Leopard, Updating Macs Pros( 8 cpus?), AppleTV, iPhone, AirPort Extreme, updated Video iPods (aka iPhone screen stuff), OS 10.5 +, More Movies, Beatles on iTunes?, iPhone FCC approval, Touch screens, stock price through the roof!, changing the world of Cell Phones, and more).
(please add items I missed to the list...
<edit> iWorks07 - with spreadsheet?, iLife 07, NeoOffice 2.1 - Opps - Wrong Vendor! Embarassed )
Quote:
And why can't everything be cheaper, Much Cheaper. I'm not made of ... Money!

I wish that they would just make one great product and quit messings about with all this other stuff! Rolling Eyes

Philip ( looks like I need to find more coins for Apple Inc stuff! Wheeeeeeeee! Wink )

\ Ed, can you flush the "Most users ever online was 143 on Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:00 am"
item at the bottom of the fourms. Why, So we can get better number of what is currently happening?!? Cool
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
\ Ed, can you flush the "Most users ever online was 143 on Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:00 am"
item at the bottom of the fourms. Why, So we can get better number of what is currently happening?!? Cool

iDon't know if iCan!

(oh wait...wouldn't ICANN own that trademark?)

I think the keynote's dissapointing for those of us who are the old-school Mac fans. I remember the time when Macworld was the be-all-end-all of Apple announcements and buying a Mac within one month of a Macworld keynote was the surest way to ensure your machine would be obsolete in a couple of weeks...

Now they're all spread out through the year so I guess there's not much of a problem making Macworld into more of the consumer electronics announcement pavilion, though last year they did announce the Intel iMac IIRC.

The biggest woe was that Intel announced the Core 2 Quad chips the day before which made that old anandtech hack seem a step closer to reality Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2