Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Uploading NeoDocs to an online source
Uploading NeoDocs to an online source

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Switch
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Uploading NeoDocs to an online source

I am taking several online classes, and one thing I have to do is upload documents to an online porfolio. When I try to do this with documents I have created in Neo, all I get is garbledy-gook when I go to view them and make sure they uploaded properly. I went ahead and switched them to Word (pee-yew!) documents again to get it done and then it worked fine.

Where did I go wrong???? I can email them as attachments with no problems...

Sad
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Uploading NeoDocs to an online source

Switch wrote:
I am taking several online classes, and one thing I have to do is upload documents to an online porfolio. When I try to do this with documents I have created in Neo, all I get is garbledy-gook when I go to view them and make sure they uploaded properly. I went ahead and switched them to Word (pee-yew!) documents again to get it done and then it worked fine.

Where did I go wrong???? I can email them as attachments with no problems... Sad
Welcome to NeoOffice Switch.

You did not do anything wrong, but you should remember that most other systems/portfolios/whatever can not handle the OpenDocument Format documents, yet. Most systems still depend on the proprietary, undocumented MS Office formats.
When you share with other users it's often necessary to use the MS Office format to save your documents. Someday everybody will be able to use the ISO standard OpenDocument Formats (ODF).

Hope this helps explain what happen and how to deal with this problem.

Philip ( MS Free and Loving it! Wink )

Switch
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Thank you, Philip... I really like NeoOffice so far, and am trying to be (as you say) MS Free and Loving It! And I am moving up, I noticed I get to be a Red Pill finally! Very Happy My "namesake" would be happy...

I have been saving my writings as .doc files rather than .odf files, so I thought that would make it work but something must still get lost in translation I guess. Crying or Very sad This makes one place where I will have to still keep MS Office (for now).

On another note (can I switch topics in a thread?), I am experimenting with the database in Neo and I'd like to know how well they translate to something like Filemaker Pro? Or can they be used by someone running Appleworks?

thanks!
Shari Smile
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Switch,
Congrats on advancing to Red Pill. Smile It goes pretty fast in the beginning. Wink

As to your problem with "uploading documents to an online portfolio".
1. Online systems are often coded to only work with MS products like MS Office and Internet Exploder. It may be that your online classes will not work with anything beside MS Office document files (how very ... strange?).
How do you upload? Is it from within MS Office??
2. Because MS Office formats are proprietary and undocumented, NeoOffice/OOo can only duplicate what can be de-coded. Sometime there are very subtle differences in formats. I hope that ODF becomes so widespread that these problems become a problem of the past. Shocked
I suggest that you talk to your online school and see what restrictions they have and/OR if they can fix the problem on their end. Rolling Eyes

"Switch"ing topics in a thread. Well, that can be pretty ... dangerous. I don't suggest it be done - often. Wink

I have not used the Neo database and/or Filemaker much so I don't have any quick suggestions.
- There are several recent message threads that discuss this in detail. SEARCH the forums for "FileMaker". It sounds like others are moving data between NeoOffice Base and FileMaker.
- Appleworks uses an "proprietary" and does not play well with others.
All the databases can handle CSV (Comma Separated Values) and/or Spreadsheet formats.
Be sure to check out NeoWiki Databases.

Philip ( The Wiki is your friend "Use the Wiki!" Wink )
Switch
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:

As to your problem with "uploading documents to an online portfolio".
1. Online systems are often coded to only work with MS products like MS Office and Internet Exploder. It may be that your online classes will not work with anything beside MS Office document files (how very ... strange?).
How do you upload? Is it from within MS Office??

Philip, I upload from within the portfolio structure, it is a pretty typical command "upload new file" then browse to the file to be uploaded then command "upload document" or some such thing. So far I have been able to upload to the classroom hand-in folder with no troubles, which I consider almost miraculous considering I am creating my files in NeoOffice on a Mac, uploading through a school website, and then my profs are downloading and reading via PC/MSOffice... And they grade pretty heavily on all the p's and q's of APA documentation, so my formatting is not even getting lost in the transfer that I can tell! At least, my grades have not dropped! Cool

As for "Switching", I am glad that Neo has worked for me and I have not "died early in the movie" so to speak...

So far so good...
Shari
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1