Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Speaking of Titles....
Speaking of Titles....

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject:

actually trainmen is a gender-neutral term. it is just not PC gender-neutral.

from dictionary.com:

Traditionally, many writers have used man and words derived from it to designate any or all of the human race regardless of sex. In fact, this is the oldest use of the word. In Old English the principal sense of man was "a human," and the words wer and wyf (or wæpman and wifman) were used to refer to "a male human" and "a female human" respectively. But in Middle English man displaced wer as the term for "a male human," while wyfman (which evolved into present-day woman) was retained for "a female human." Despite this change, man continued to carry its original sense of "a human" as well, resulting in an asymmetrical arrangement that many criticize as sexist.

-j
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Ed.

Mostly I was teasing, but I forgot to add an emoticon in my previous post to make that clear.

But I do appreciate the change.

Lorinda
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject:

No worries Smile Wow, I didn't realize that trainman was gender neutral...interesting back story on the Old English origin of the words. I think sometimes the distinction I've seen is to capitalize Man to convey the sense of "human" as mentioned there. Dunno if that's just something I do or if it's something that standard.

ed
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the background, Jake. I didn't know all that.

Of course a lot of people don't hear it that way anymore. Where I live, at least, a "generic" police officer is often called a "policeman" by those not as aware of/uptight about gender language issues. But I don't know anyone who would say "She is a policeman" when talking about a female police officer.

But the arguments about the relationship between etymology and meaning can go on endlessly. Not just in terms of gender, either. I was taught to use etymological connections as part of Biblical exegesis. For example, the word for compassion in Hebrew is derived from the word for "womb." But now that approach is labeled a "fallacy" by many Biblical scholars and translators. Somehow I think the truth is somewhere in the middle....

In any event, the background you provided will help me hear things differently when I'm bothered by sexist language.
Smile
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject:

The same facts occur in French language too. I think that we must not see sexism everywhere. Eventually, IMO, the French language (spelling, syntax, etc.) is damaged by too much feminization and maybe it's the same in other languages. A little feminization is good but too much is… too much.

Jacqueline
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject:

I suggest we return "Councilperson" and "Trainperson" to their original gender and also add another two titles "Priestess" and "Old Woman at Zion" from the second movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234215/
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject:

Sure - personally I think it would be more fun to have both genders represented and for both men and women to be getting both as they clock up the posts... I have no problems with androgyny Smile

- padmavyuha
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject:

That works for me, too.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject:

And if someone has an ambiguous username Question
(Ed: do/undo/do/undo… Rolling Eyes )

jgd Wink
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
And if someone has an ambiguous username Question
(Ed: do/undo/do/undo… Rolling Eyes )

jgd Wink

They have a live internet breakdown! great entertainment. Frankly I'm surprised the "Old Woman" one was accepted without comment though Laughing
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject:

Baggypants wrote:

Frankly I'm surprised the "Old Woman" one was accepted without comment though Laughing

Because she's "Old" or because of the role she plays in the movie? I've never seen any of the Matrix movies, so I don't have a clue what these different characters/roles are.

In terms of "Old," I'm not one of those women who gets uptight about her age. Besides, if Ed adopts it, it will apply to the men, too. Smile

Lorinda
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject:

Priestess is a good one, I'll have to add that in. I guess we could have both Councilman and Councilwoman since there are women on the council. I thought I put Naiobi somewhere in the list but will need to check... The Oracle is also a female character (already in the list). There's also the Lady in Red, but I could see people taking that one the wrong way myself Wink

Any other suggestions/comments? I tend to not publish the list to keep it as a surprise Smile

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I guess we could have both Councilman and Councilwoman since there are women on the council.

But the "Councilman" title has nothing to do with being on The Council Question
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2