· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Addicted to Battlestar Galactica
Addicted to Battlestar Galactica

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Addicted to Battlestar Galactica

(figured why not, waiting for compilers to d/l)

OK, I admit it, ever since the miniseries I've been addicted to the remake of BG and just finished the season finale (I have East Coast TV...long story). Anyway, I was kind of disappointed in the way the season ended. The first 6 episodes or so were a wonderful story arc. These last three, however, really seem as if they were written by network stooges (smacked of DS9 style writing). Self-contained, introducing random new characters, ending in a stock WTF cliffhanger. While Season 1 ended in a cliffhanger as well, at least it took two episodes to explore and lay out its plotlines which roughly fit within the season 1 story.

Quite disappointing given the quality of writing the series had.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Addicted to Battlestar Galactica

OPENSTEP wrote:
(figured why not, waiting for compilers to d/l)

OK, I admit it, ever since the miniseries I've been addicted to the remake of BG and just finished the season finale (I have East Coast TV...long story). Anyway, I was kind of disappointed in the way the season ended. The first 6 episodes or so were a wonderful story arc. These last three, however, really seem as if they were written by network stooges (smacked of DS9 style writing). Self-contained, introducing random new characters, ending in a stock WTF cliffhanger. While Season 1 ended in a cliffhanger as well, at least it took two episodes to explore and lay out its plotlines which roughly fit within the season 1 story.

Quite disappointing given the quality of writing the series had.

Someone actually redid BG? They must really be running out of things to do. I liked the original series with Loren Greene as Cmdr. Amanda. I was a tribute to Star Wars and sorta a warning to us all. In any case, it was sorta goofy with the Cylons and some of the things that the Humans did.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject:

The new series is really nearly unrelated to the old one. Starbuck is a chick (for example). The first season actually opened up some intriguing angles for the show such as an exploration of topical issues such as polytheism vs. monotheism, but teh 2nd season turned out to backburner or get rid of all of those highbrow angles and rely on formula action drama storylines. Regardless, I still recommend it...weaknesses aside, the original just does not compare and is a nothing campy romp:

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

ed <--- not a shill, just an addict, macrat can confirm
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject:

i for one actually liked the season finale. where it ended made me yell at the television though.

13 episodes is not a season.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:

That's just SciFi hype; the back half of the season (with the real season finale) starts in January. (I like that the counter-programming gives us something new to watch during the summer, but the wait for January is long sometimes). "Mid-season cliffhanger" is a better term, but it doesn't roll off the voiceover announcer's tongue as well, I guess.

I'm far from a connoisseur of entertainment, but I have found Galactica surprisingly entertaining despite its apocalyptic context. Not sure where they're going with all the Pegasus stuff, though....

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject:

IIRC, wasn't the Pegasus encounter in the original BG series? I suspect it's a continuation of the "loosely based on" idea. I only half got into the original BG adn then when I was a kid, so I may have it confused with a horde of bad cartoons and random pre-sentient jumble.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject:

yeah, my roommate used to tell me weekly

"hey, did you know in the original series they met another battlestar?"

ok, so nerd time.

the cylons can totally screw up the new ships, right? which is why galatica is not only old, but appears to have ancient tech, like the phones with chords, because it is on big cylon killin' machine.

so, pegasus. yeah, it is big and smooth, but how are they fighting cylons? a few seconds near a bigger ship and the pegasus should be target practice...

or was there something i missed?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject:

Ah...yeah, perhaps time for me to geek out too...

There is something strange in the story there. In the remake, the general concept was that a cylon virus got into the defense network and was activated right before the cylon attack, rendering all of the fleet disabled. Galactica survived because Adama forbid computer networks and because it was built during the first cylon war deliberately with ancient tech so the cylons couldn't attack it electronically. In the last new episode, it's clear that Pegasus was in dock at the time of the cylon attack...so how it didn't succumb to the cylon virus is beyond me. It may just be a stupid story snafu Smile

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
i for one actually liked the season finale. where it ended made me yell at the television though.

Tell the folks who made Star Trek that. I think the idea was to run from September through December with one show, and then replace that show in the Spring (after the Holiday season specials) and rerun them in the Summer season to be either continued with the new year's programs or cancelled either due to poor ratings or consumer disgust.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

There is something strange in the story there. In the remake, the general concept was that a cylon virus got into the defense network and was activated right before the cylon attack, rendering all of the fleet disabled. Galactica survived because Adama forbid computer networks and because it was built during the first cylon war deliberately with ancient tech so the cylons couldn't attack it electronically. In the last new episode, it's clear that Pegasus was in dock at the time of the cylon attack.

How about it was not connected to the Network at the time of the attack and thus it was not infected. When the virus was detected, the Commander of the Pegasus ordered his ship not to reconnect to the network. Something like the best defense against an ongoing virus attack today.

OPENSTEP wrote:
..so how it didn't succumb to the cylon virus is beyond me. It may just be a stupid story snafu Smile

Yep. Needs a little explaining. BTW, the SO and I are still debating whether or not we will reconnect to DISH. We may not because we are both very busy (or sleeping something that I really miss with those three hour commutes [I will be switching to a vanpool on Monday].)

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

Reporting for duty, sir! Smile

OPENSTEP wrote:
There is something strange in the story there. In the remake, the general concept was that a cylon virus got into the defense network and was activated right before the cylon attack, rendering all of the fleet disabled.

My read on that was more like they installed a back-door, so they could shut things down whenever they wanted (perhaps a back-door that propogated to all ships/facilities as a virus). In the miniseries, while the planetary defense networks all went down at once (as the Cylons attaked, each planet more-or-less at once), the fleet's encounters were not simultaneous, and several different times we saw Vipers starting to engage Raiders before suddenly shutting down....

OPENSTEP wrote:
Galactica survived because Adama forbid computer networks and because it was built during the first cylon war deliberately with ancient tech so the cylons couldn't attack it electronically. In the last new episode, it's clear that Pegasus was in dock at the time of the cylon attack...so how it didn't succumb to the cylon virus is beyond me. It may just be a stupid story snafu Smile

I'm wondering the same thing...I would have thought all ships in that dock would have been equally and fairly simultaneously disabled (as we saw all [modern] attacking Vipers be simultaneously disabled in a given engagement)...and we know the FTL drives can't spin up and jump instantaneously, even if the one on Pegasus is a lot faster.... If it's not part of the plot, it's a pretty big continuity error in my book Smile

I guess we'll see in January.

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject:

well, here, remember the episode where they jump to the wrong place and have to jump back in the middle of the cylons to get the new coordinates? they network computers on galactica to do that quicker, and the cylons try to hack in.

so virus or not, it is something they can do 'on the fly' as apposed to prepping the ships beforehand...

so i still think that the pegasus should be downed once the cylons are nearby, the battlestar and all the vipers. ca-put.

now. =) because i like odma, here is what i'd love to see.

*** BELOW THIS LINE I TALK ABOUT THE SEASON FINALE YOU ARE WARNED***

so the galatica is sending ships to get the guys back from pegasus, right? pegasus launches there ships, big stress moment.

what if? what if the cylons attack at that moment? what if they shut down the peg and her vipers, and what's her name sits there helpless while odama kicks the crap out of the cylons.

then he radios over, explaining he is still coming for his men, AND since they are unable to do anything about the cylons, he is resuming control over the fleet. =)

which was kinda a thought i had about some of the civilian stuff going on. sure they can do politics, that's great, but i would wager that most of the civilians are gonna follow galatica if the politicians go one way and odama the other.. but that's another conversation.
Mysterious Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: A Final Countdown Series

Probably inspired by Battlestar's success, Variety reports that script treatments are being sought to flesh out the concept of a FINAL COUNTDOWN series, based on the all star Kirk Douglas film. The column's teaser states that the premise is the Nimitz never returns home (the present) from the final minutes prior Pearl Harbor. The military-social possibilities of such a series puts Battlestar in the sandbox. Hopefully a concept that a studio will pick up and produce!
MS
javascript:emoticon('Razz')

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:

So is everyone ready for the season premiere tonight? Rolling Eyes
MacRat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Nope.... Saturday

I don't get the SciFi channel so I'll be buying the episode from iTunes on Saturday morning. Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7