NeoOffice :: View topic - My Old Interface
My Old Interface

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victore
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: My Old Interface

Hi,

I have just upgraded 2.0 and installed 2.1 on my PowerBook. Patch1 as well.

I noticed that the buttons have changed and really, I do not like it. The button size needs to be put on 'large' to get them properly displayed and this takes a lot of space which I do not like since I prefer to have a lot of buttons and do not want them to drop off.

Is there a way to get my 'old' 2.0 interface back?

Thanks

Victor
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject:

Hi Victor,

Surprised you didn't take a look in the application's preferences where such things reside, so....

Go play with the options to be found in drop-down menu items NeoOffice>Preferences>NeoOffice>Views>Icons and Styles

The left hand drop-down offers size options and there are a number of icon sets available to choose from in the right hand drop-down menu (including the previous one).

Happy exploring.

victore
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject:

Hi,

I did take a look at the application's preferences, but the old iconset is no longer there. I see Default, HiContrast, Industrial and Cristal. None resemble the old icon set.

Victor
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Icons

Victor,

Are you talking about buttons, which are part of the GUI that Ed worked on, or icons, which was another project? It seems now that it's the icons you don't want.

If you have a look at the thread about toolbars and icons in NeoOffice Development, you will find that these new Default icons are the result of much work and feedback here. I suspect you are one of a very small number of people who actually liked the old Default iconset. If you have your old copy of NeoOffice, it would be possible to replace the new Akua icons: in most people's view that would be like wanting a new iMac to look like an Apple IIe, but I guess there are folks who would like that too. Smile Let us know if would like to revert, and we can instruct.

Cheers
Peter
victore
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response.

I see that i have difficulties in expressing myself clear and seem to confuse Icons and Buttons. Sorry for that - but I am also not a native English speaker (lame excuse). Let me try to explain what I mean without using the words Button or Icon:

I am talking about the 'things' that are horizontally on top of the screen and that allow me to open a new file, open from a directory, save, document as email etc. There are two rows of them by default.

It is these 'things' that I do not like and like to replace with the ones in the previous version.

Reason:
- They are big and do not look clear when they are displayed in the small view (as set through the preferences etc). Especially the second row (containing the layout options), where I prefer to put a lot of additional 'things' is a problem.

That, I would like to replace with the old 'thing-set'

And yes, I have skinned my powerbook with a System7 look. (not true Wink).

I hope this is more clear, and of course all help is highly appreciated.

Victor
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject:

victore wrote:
I did take a look at the application's preferences, but the old iconset is no longer there. I see Default, HiContrast, Industrial and Cristal. None resemble the old icon set.

Sorry, my mistake. I'll leave this subject to (evidently) more knowledgeable people than I to follow-up!

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject:

The old default icon set is no longer included with NeoOffice and there are no plans to add it as another icon set option. Some of the guys more experienced with icons may be able to direct you to how to replace the individual icons with which you are frustrated. The other option is to see if you can work with Crystal or one of the other alternatives.

ed
victore
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Hi Ed,

Very sorry to hear that and shame that there has not made a grace period. Offering old and new at the same time is something even M$ does. Cristal looks like my (SuSE) linux box - does not like that either. Borders around the actual icon picture are too wide to make them small.

If someone can help me to get my old iconset back, I would be very happy and thankful.

victor
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject:

victore wrote:
Offering old and new at the same time is something even M$ does.

Otherwise known as BLOATED software.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Back to the old ways

Hi Victor.

[Edit: If you really are being careful you would do this on a copy of your NeoOffice, just in case you muck up.]

This is what you need to do. I hope you know how to navigate into an application [ctrl-click on the application icon] If not, you will need to use Iconic, which will only replace some of the icons you apparently don't like.

Make sure that NeoOffice is not running. You wiill find that this route, Application [ctrl-click] > Show package contents > Contents > share > config takes you into a folder where the iconsets live, as zip files. What you need to do is to replace the set called images.zip in NeoOffice 2.1 with the set from the same folder in NeoOffice 2. First step is to rename the set in 2.1 Call that set Akua_images.zip or some such, so you remember what and where it is. You may need to provide your admin password to authenticate this change, since you are mucking around with the innards of the program.

At that point, you don't have a "Default" iconset anymore [and you won't be able to choose the Akua set, unless you rename them Crystal or Industrial!]. So you replace the Akua set with the images.zip file from your folder NeoOffice. If you want to do this properly, duplicate this images.zip file first in place, then move the copy somewhere and rename it without the word "copy" so you can use the duplicate as your replacement. That way, you will leave your old NeoOffice "untouched".

Start up NeoOffice. Select "Default" as shown above from your Preferences or Tools > Options windows. You should have what you want.

As to whether this iconset should have been retained in NeoOffice, I'm afraid I would never agree with you on that. As you say, System 7 Smile

Peter
victore
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help.

I fail to see why you and the others are so negative about the old set and and so positive about the new. The new set for the drawing mode is consistent and nice, but I find the standard set a strange mix of colors and styles. And as stated before, they do not allow to be displayed in the 'small' mode (E.g. the two icons Add Decimal Point and Delete Decimal point in Calc).

The 'icon in the icon' structure/design that is adopted in the default, cristal and industrial set, just requires more space than needed and compromises the clarity.

Just my humble opinion and thanks again for your help.

Victor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject:

Please, please, please do not underestimate the importance of speed, appearance and ease of use to most users... For many, they even rank higher than functionality believe it or not...
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1