Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Upgrade to 2.1 trashed my Customizations
Upgrade to 2.1 trashed my Customizations

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wstites
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Upgrade to 2.1 trashed my Customizations

Hi. Before I start on the problems, I think 2.1 looks good.

It seems that my configuration files (preferences, customizations) were lost when I upgraded to NeoOffice 2.1. I had made a bunch of changes to toolbars, but most important, I had saved probably a couple of hundred abbreviations in Autocorrect. For instance, the apostrophe in "don’t" gets supplied automatically. All those are gone.

Anyone know how I can get them back? Where are the config. files stored? Do the same config files that controlled 2.0 work with 2.1? (I believe when I upgraded OpenOffice 2.0 to 2.1 in my Linux machine there was no problem.)

Thanks.
Will
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Will,
The preferences are stored in your User folder under Library/Preferences/NeoOffice 2.1.

If you upgraded from a previous version you may see a folder right next to it that says NeoOffice 2.X

Normally when you upgrade NeoOffice copies the preferences from the previous version. That has not always happened with 2.1

You might be able to dig around in that folder and find what you are looking for.
********BUT**********Caution *************
before you copy anything from the NeoOffice 2.X folder into the NeoOffice 2.1 folder PLEASE make a duplicate of the 2.1 folder and store it somewhere safe.

For example the file that contains all your autocorrect preferences may be in Preferences/NeoOffice/user/autocorr or in the Preferences/NeoOffice/user/autotext.

You may try copying on or the other of these files in to the appropriate place in the NeoOffice2.1 preferences file and restarting Neo.

The config files are in the same location. Again you may try copying them from the older version preferences folder but it may not work.

If it doesn't work you may want to replace the NeoOffice preferences folder you've been messing around in with the backup I recommended you create before you started messing with it.

Galen
wstites
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Galen. That worked great.
Will
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Your welcome!
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject:

There were apparently bugs in the OOo pref migration code in the 2.1 codebase that seem to trigger on some installations and not on others Sad

Just for reference, Lorinda has written a nice article about doing manual migration of parts of prefs in the wiki; it's basically the same as what Galen mentioned, but the more links to the article, the better Wink

Smokey
/inflating PageRank?

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Just for reference, Lorinda has written a nice article about doing manual migration of parts of prefs in the wiki; it's basically the same as what Galen mentioned, but the more links to the article, the better Wink

Smokey
/inflating PageRank?
Great article, Thanks Lorinda and Smokey.
I learned something new! If it's not to much to ... ask/wish-for.
    Would it be possible to add some examples of preference files/folders (e.g. autotext, templates or backup etc). Knowing some common folders would help other users who need to recover items like "autotext".
Not a rush, and I'm just asking so that it will be there when I mess up and need to recover something. Embarassed
MANY Thanks to all who post/wiki articles. It really HELPS the rest of us poor, lost souls. Rolling Eyes

Philip ( Opps, Learned something NEW, again! Wink )

\./ inflating PageRank? too! Smile
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject:

I've added it to my list, Philip. Smile

When I get to it, I'll also try to add a piece about moving Preferences when upgrading to 2.1, as you don't have to do the half and half process.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1