· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Ctrl+Enter within a cell
Ctrl+Enter within a cell

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandelune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Ctrl+Enter within a cell

The documentation states:

To insert a line break in a spreadsheet cell, press the Ctrl+Enter keys.
This will work only with the text edit cursor inside the cell, not at the input line. So first double-click the cell, then single-click at the text position where you want the line break.

But NO 2.1 patch 1 does not seem to support this shortcut.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ctrl+Enter within a cell

brandelune wrote:

This will work only with the text edit cursor inside the cell, not at the input line.
So first double-click the cell, then single-click at the text position where you want the line break.

But NO 2.1 patch 1 does not seem to support this shortcut.
Welcome to NeoOffice brandelune,

You need to remember that NeoOffice is on the Macintosh so you use CMD/Apple-Key in place of Ctrl ( throughout NeoOffice).

I use Cmd+Return keys all the time in NeoOffice Calc and it works fine - inside the Cell.
Check out the NeoWiki:
http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Tips_and_Hints
and http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Inserting_a_line_break_in_a_cell

Hope this helps you get the most out of using NeoOffice 2.1!

Philip ( Much of the Documentation is written for Windows, not the Mac.... Rolling Eyes )

amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ctrl+Enter within a cell

brandelune wrote:

Which documentation are you looking at?
If its specific NeoOffice documentation, then there is a mistake in the translation from OpenOffice.org. All references to the Ctrl key in OpenOffice.org documentation should be read as the Command/Apple key for NeoOffice.

Let us know where you found this advice and it'll get fixed if it needs to be.

Andy.
brandelune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Ctrl+return in the documentation

The documentation I refer too is the help files available from the Help menu.

Besides, knowing about the fact that Macs use Cmd instead of Ctrl, I did try the Cmd+return shortcut in 2.1 patch 1 but for some reason it did not work. Now, with patch 3 it does.

The documentation should be updatd anyway. Check for "line breaks;in cells" in the Index.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject:

That's clearly a bug in the OOo Help (i.e., they have hard-coded "Ctrl" instead of whatever they should use that allows the key name to change when OOo is run on non-Windows OSes).

You should report this bug to OOo.

Smokey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: bug in OOo help ?

Just in case you are not aware of that, OOo on OSX uses Ctrl. Hence it is not an OOo documentation bug.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: bug in OOo help ?

brandelune wrote:
Just in case you are not aware of that, OOo on OSX uses Ctrl. Hence it is not an OOo documentation bug.
No, it is!
The documentation is written in XML and shouldn't contain the string "Ctrl". Instead there will be a tag "[meta]" perhaps, which is replaced at some point (compile time?) with the platform specific string, e.g. "Ctrl" for windows and "Cmd" for Mac.

The problem here is that the raw help file contains the string "Ctrl" at the point and not the tag "[meta]", so the NeoOffice compiler can't make the correct substitution.

Hope that's clear - I'm guessing a bit, but that's my understanding of it.

Andy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: bug in OOo help ?

amayze wrote:
The problem here is that the raw help file contains the string "Ctrl" at the point and not the tag "[meta]", so the NeoOffice compiler can't make the correct substitution.

Andy is correct about this. In most cases, the help files are use an XML switch statement that looks like this:

Code:
\<switchinline select=\"sys\"\>\<caseinline select=\"MAC\"\>Command\</caseinline\>\<defaultinline\>Ctrl\</defaultinline\>\</switchinline\>

However, sometimes the writers of the documentation (or the volunteer translators that translate the help into dozens of languages) ignore this syntax and hardcode Ctrl or whatever the equivalent is in the help because they think what other key would it be?

Patrick
brandelune

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Ctrl+enter hard coded

Thank you for the technical details. I have forwarded to the French forum where the original issue was noticed. Since this problem is likely to affect OOo/Aqua I am sure they'll find a way to fix it.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject:

That's an even more fragile, hackier way to do that than I expected :p

I figured they were doing something sensible like defining an "accel" placeholder and using that placeholder in every shortcut, and then globally mapping "accel" to the right key per platform when help is built or displayed or whatever. But no, they require each different platform's accelerator key to be defined/special-cased for every single individual use of a shortcut, which leads to errors like this being trivial to cause and happening all of time.

Wait, did I just say I expected OOo to do something sensible? Sorry, someone slap me the next time I do that Razz

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject:

SLAP
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Sorry Embarassed

After all the mess I have been making in the Wiki development
I though I should "Slap first and ask questions ... later".

Smokey, MANY Thanks for ALL your Help, Guidance, GREAT Information, and such. Very Happy
The community would be much poorer without you. You have been a major support pillar for as long as I have been lurking (and much longer, per references).

I just wanted to take a moment to express my appreciation.

Plus, You often explain some very complex problems in a way that I gain a much greater understanding.
So - NeoOffice helps make a person ... Smarter! Cool

Philip ( Whose Ideas often exceed his ... Understanding! Wink )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject:

No need to apologize, Philip Smile I did ask for it, after all Wink

You're a very valuable and much-appreciated resource around here, too, not least of which for your great article-/resource-finding skills Smile Thank you!

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1