Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo Apple deal?
Neo Apple deal?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
....At least w/ Neo, you can run older versions if you wrere lucky enough to have it although distribution has been brown-shirted apparently....

....or you aren't too lazy to just compile it from the publicly available cvs source repository.

C'mon, quit beating this dead horse. You have the GPL soures so you can compile it yourself with your own cool brand name and even add fixes to your distribution. In other words, the only thing blocking you or anyone else from getting NeoOffice/J 1.1 (or any other version) is some investment of your own time.

Edit: the cvs tag that you would check out is "NeoOfficeJ-1_1_branch".

Another edit: As a special bonus, I have just copied the fix for bug 1373 into the installer scripts on that branch. So, to build and release your very own NeoOffice/J-based build, you should only need to replace all of the "NeoOffice" strings with your brand name in the neojava/makefile file and replace the NeoOffice neojava/offmgr/res/neojavaabout.bmp and neojava/offmgr/res/neojavaintro.bmp image files with your own images to comply with our trademark usage policy. Of course, you will be responsible for supporting anything that you release. Wink

Patrick

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Good grief. I'm not a programmer. I'm just tryng to help someone get an earlier version of Neo/J. The WARNING associated w/ Neo/J 1.1 Installer is pretty well known, it's an APPLE BUG according to you, not a Neo Bug so don't feel so guilty about it. AGAIN, with any software, COMMERCIAL or PRIVATE or OPEN SOURCE or MARS ALIEN, common sense tells anyone that they are INSTALLING and USING at THEIR OWN RISK...

Excuse me, I have to move over to my son's PC to watch a few H264 movie trailers on the Apple web site just now...
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Dear Guest,

As you say that you are NOT a programmer.
You may not have lost hundreds of hours of work because of a computer flaw.
Or been sued because of something you told someone else to do, caused then to lose all their files and/or data.
Or tried to help someone (and take a risk) only to have the solution you offered caused a disaster.
Or lost a friendship because of some advice you offered.
Or have someone repeatedly ask you to do something that you "know" could create a problem.

If someone else is NOT willing to risk having their hard work used in a manner that could cause problems - KEEP your opinions to yourself!

As a visitor (and Guest) on these Forums - Please respect the advice of the NeoOffice developers. They have every right to control how their work is used.

If you want to pick a fight -- PLEASE GO SOMEWHERE ELSE....

I'm sorry that someone has a reason to use an old version of the Mac Operating System, or does not have the money to upgrade their computer, or whatever. Doing something risky is NOT the way to save time OR money.
I have things I wish I could do and don't have the funds. When the need is great enough, and important enough, I will find a way.

And I will do it without being disrespectful to others.

Philip ( Treat others how you would be treated )
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject:

yup.

Another thing to consider, if you and your friend are on 10.2 I bet you are also NOT doing backups.

Do you really want to risk the data? Shocked
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Good grief. I'm not a programmer. I'm just tryng to help someone get an earlier version of Neo/J. The WARNING associated w/ Neo/J 1.1 Installer is pretty well known, it's an APPLE BUG according to you, not a Neo Bug so don't feel so guilty about it. AGAIN, with any software, COMMERCIAL or PRIVATE or OPEN SOURCE or MARS ALIEN, common sense tells anyone that they are INSTALLING and USING at THEIR OWN RISK...

Never been sued, eh? Just because you are willing to take that risk doesn't mean I think it is worth the risk. Sorry you don't like my position, but pestering us is unlikely to cause us to a) ignore the enormous risk that I see and b) drain my savings account to hire people (either engineers or lawyers) to support the 10.2 crowd.

Since you keep bringing this issue up quite frequently, let me be really clear: we will never, ever release any form of NeoOffice for Jaguar. Neither Ed nor I have the time to maintain it ourselves nor do we have the money to hire someone else to do it for us.

The code is open source so if anyone feels that it makes economic sense to have a 10.2 version of NeoOffice, they can staff, fund it, and most importantly, bear the risk as we won't.

That is the absolute last thing that I am going to say about this topic.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject:

dear guest.

there is still a verion of openoffice.org availible for 10.2. it is, in fact, the last openoffice.org product ed himself released. you can find the link here:

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/x11-102.html

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Thank you. I have it OO_o for X11 and have found myself using it more insetad of Neo as I've also been using my X11 browser to surf the web as well more lately. Indeed OO_0 in X11 does run faster than my Neo/J 1.1 but its not as pretty...

No. I have never been sued thankfully, are you saying the Neo guys have been sued? How is that possible if they clearly state that the user installs and uses the Neo program at their own risk?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
No. I have never been sued thankfully, are you saying the Neo guys have been sued? How is that possible if they clearly state that the user installs and uses the Neo program at their own risk?

IANAL, but in the U.S. anybody can sue pretty much anybody. Proof of the validity of the claim only has to occur at trial which, at least in California civil courts, can occur several years after the original filing.

Given that costs of lawyers, depositions, etc. that occur well before a lawsuit even goes to court, even simple lawsuits can quickly bankrupt a small business. This is probably why it is such a favored business tactic between competitors in the technology industry. Wink

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject:

The sidewinder bump

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4298

Won't be there much longer...
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
The sidewinder bump

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4298

Won't be there much longer...

So instead of listening to the request in the other thread and ceasing promotion of unsupported versions of software with known data-loss bugs in the installer, you've decided to start bumping other, unrelated threads to push the same?

You are seriously well along the road to troll status.

Smokey

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject:

OK, I like to think of it as letting intelligent adults decide on whether the risk of having an older version Neo installer go wonky on them is worth it to them to try and install it. If English is the default language in the System Preferences it shouldn't be a problem. I installed Neo/J 1.1 on OS X 10.2.8 [10.2.3 first and still worked after update to 10.2.8] and have been using it for years now with no problems. Backing up one's system before installing anything is always a good idea. Now having said that, I'll let this thread die.

And to lemon aid, I don't remember attacking you but my apologies to you if you see it that way...
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2