· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Icons in NeoOffice 2.1
Icons in NeoOffice 2.1

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacFranco
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Icons in NeoOffice 2.1

When NeoOffice 2.1 is installed, finally the "save" icon appears as the symbol for a HD drive (OS X appearance) and no longer as the symbol for a 3.5" floppy (they call it a diskette here in Belgium).
I was wondering how long the "save" icon in modern GUIs was going to be based on that glorious relic of Macintosh 128 k lore...

Well done chaps, it was about time! Very Happy
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject:

Welcome to NeoOffice (2.1 upgrade) MacFranco,

We are glad that you like the new icons.
Your comment about the old diskette (we used that term in the USA too) Save icon was noted by many others. It was agreed that NeoOffice needed a more modern Save icon.

I'm sure the Neo icon designers will be pleased that someone noticed! Cool

Hope you find NeoOffice as useful as many others have!

Philippe ( Still likes 3.5 diskettes. I have two under my desk - to keep it steady. Rolling Eyes )

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
We are glad that you like the new icons.
Your comment about the old diskette (we used that term in the USA too) Save icon was noted by many others. It was agreed that NeoOffice needed a more modern Save icon.

I'm sure the Neo icon designers will be pleased that someone noticed! Cool

A colleague here in Venezuela asked me if the icons in NeoOffice 2.1 are GPL? and if he could use them in a version he is building for his government employer?

It seems that everything is under the GPL but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for your time. My apologies for hijacking this thread, but wanted to catch the eye of the icon devs.

Thanks,
Richard@openoffice.org
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:

Yes, the Akua icon set and the Finder icons are GPL.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. I'll pass it on. More info when he gets it built. Smile
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Actually, I have noticed that the persistent whining of some people on fora that 'NeoOffice is ugly' has pretty much evaporated since the Aqua UI elements and the Akua icon set were added. I take this disappearing of a whole category of criticism as a compliment on all the hard work everyone put in.

Now Patrick is making breakthrough on speed, so that too will pass. Soon the only thing left for the curmudgeons to bitch about will be a couple of dialogues that are not up to Aqua guidelines Smile.

best wishes,
Oscar

P.S. Not to pat myself on the back - Daniel, Armando, Ed and Patrick did nearly all of the work, I just have a dozen or two icons to my credit.

djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Not to pat myself on the back - Daniel, Armando, Ed and Patrick did nearly all of the work

Pat away! Not only your icons, but the constructive criticism that you and so many others gave as part of the process was necessary and rewarding.

Next time a release cycle comes around, I'd like to look at those crappy wizard splash graphics.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
ovvldc wrote:
Not to pat myself on the back - Daniel, Armando, Ed and Patrick did nearly all of the work

Pat away! Not only your icons, but the constructive criticism that you and so many others gave as part of the process was necessary and rewarding.
I second that ... PAT!

ALL the Icon contributers did an outstanding job. Heaps of Praise, Pats, and even a few ... brews.
Hundreds, even thousands, of itty bitty Icons that had to be found, reviewed, created/edited/updated, tested, and replaced.
It's not one of the "glamorous" tasks, but it contributes so much to the overall look of NeoOffice.

It is funny that "most" of the "ugly" complaints have stopped. I thought it was to ... quiet! Shocked
It's amazing how a little Akua "paint and glitter" makes all the difference! Cool

Philip ( WHAT an AMAZING ... community! Wink )

\. Just noticed that Cool is defined as ... "Cool"
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
Next time a release cycle comes around, I'd like to look at those crappy wizard splash graphics.

Sounds nice. I 'm looking forward to more magic from your end Smile

Actually, I think this next release most of the patting will go to the Wiki Elves and everyone who contributed to the User Manual. They have been making outstanding progress lately!

best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1